Who owns / operates the Land in SW Northern Territory.

Submitted: Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 13:01
ThreadID: 131802 Views:2484 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know who owns the land on the NT side of the WA border south of Docker River.
Basically the area(s) bounded by WA/ NT border, SA / NT border, Tjukaruru rd and a line south of the Olgas.

I can't find out if it is private property(s) or aboriginal land or just crown load?

I'm especially interested in the western part nearer the WA border.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ian.g - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 15:08

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 15:08
I think the country you are referring to belongs to the Petermann Aboriginal Land Trust, runs from the South Australian Border north to a line that runs east west passing through Kings Canyon. North of this line belongs to Haasts Bluff Aboriginal Lands Trust. Both of these land trusts run west from approximately a north south line running through Uluru.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 597248

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:43

Friday, Mar 11, 2016 at 16:43
Boobook - W.A. Aboriginal Land Trusts and Reserves maps are here ...

W.A. DAA Maps

The NT Aboriginal Land maps are not online, and you need to contact the Aboriginal Council controlling the region you want to know about.

In the case of the precise area that you speak of, a portion of the area is the Katiti Petermann Indigenous Protected Area (IPA).
This area is recognised as being of special importance to the local Aboriginals, and warrants protection via Aboriginal Rangers.

KPIPA

Indigenous Protected Areas

The entire SW NT area you speak of, is under the control of the Central Land Council, and all inquiries should be referred to them.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 597253

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 06:59

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 06:59
Thanks Ron, that is exactly the start I am looking for.

Brilliant. Thank you.
FollowupID: 866288

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:00

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 11:00
for online maps of NT look up National Native Title Tribunal
sorry dont know how to put in a link
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866304

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 00:10

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 00:10
What catches your eye here Boobook?

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597265

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 07:08

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 07:08
I was lucky enough to get permission to travel some of the APY lands in SA. There was some spectacular scenery, especially north to the Mann ranges.

While there, a local told of a short cut from near Ayres Rock to Blackstone which may be a great route for a possible future trip. I'm looking into the possibility of getting permission to see some of the northern side of the Mann Ranges. I love that country and it will be pretty void of other travellers.

This is a great start to getting permission.

It could just be another bunch of dusty unused tracks though......Hope so.

FollowupID: 866289

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 13:05

Saturday, Mar 12, 2016 at 13:05
Fair enough, I've only been on the Mulga Park Road and quite a while ago, but do remember it being rather scenic. Good luck - would be a great drive.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866311

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:49

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 21:49
Boo book,

There is a track that runs from just east of Kalka to a spot near Kata Tjuta. The track hits the bitumen behind a road sign near the Olgas car park and is well concealed. This is a magnificent track that passes through very interesting country: desert oak forests and dunes, rocky out crops. It is the main access track for those living in the Blackstone Wingellina Pipilyatjara region to Qantas et al at Yulara.

Bob
FollowupID: 866404

Sponsored Links