Nullarbor

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:22
ThreadID: 131816 Views:2376 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
It has been mentioned on a previous thread that one can travel along the Bunda Cliffs from about 5 km west of Nullarbor Road House to about 40 km west of the Roadhouse.
Can it be done whilst towing a Caravan or is the road too rough.
Nugget

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:51

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 11:51
HI Nugget

It is a interesting little drive and to be honest, if it was not wet, you could drive a standard vehicle along the track.

The only thing I would not advise is to drive in off into the many side tracks that go right to the cliffs edges. In places there would not be enough room to turn around, and in all cases it is only a few hundred metres from the track to the cliff edge. Just park your vehicle and walk in.

Cheers

Stephen.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597309

Follow Up By: GarryR - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 17:53

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 17:53
Hi Stephen, I do need to apologise to you. I read back through Judy's nav notes and the piece of track that I referred to was the Aboriginal land side of the fence on our way to the Head of the Bight whale lookout. There is a little rocky section near the WA border that we came across but not too serious. Sorry for my miss statement
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866395

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:27

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:27
Great photos Stephen. The places we don't know exist. Would the crown on that track be too much for a non high clearance caravan? Nugget does not say what he has.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597323

Follow Up By: Member - w B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:30

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 18:30
Thanks for the replies.I have a JB off-road van and 200 series so should handle OK.
Nugget

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 866359

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:21

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:21
Hi Motherhen

When ever we are over that way, we always have a great camp in a special spot, that I have shared with a few members here on EO.

As you know, the country around that area is usually all bluebush, and to find taller timber is even rare. Our camp is around 5 kilometres south of the highway in a well timbered area, and always wood for a good campfire.

If you are over that way again, send me a MM and will give you the waypoint of our great camp location.

As for Nugget, he will have no problems at all.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866367

Follow Up By: jamesw - Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 16:26

Monday, Mar 14, 2016 at 16:26
We stayed in Stephens "special camp" on the way over to Albany last year in mid April. It rained a fair bit overnight and we decided to pack up and return to the roadhouse for breakfast. The amount of surface water both on the track out and at the roadhouse was a lot, to say the least. We then drove inside a rain cell for the next two days heading west. At Maralinga a few days prior it was 40+ degrees. I love touring this big country of ours :)
James
FollowupID: 866392

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:07

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 19:07
The cook and I drove along the Bunda cliffs track last September in the hilux. I would be hesitant to tow a van along the track from the WA border to the Aboriganal land fence line just east of the Nullabour Roadhouse. The track was narrow, rocky and the tree roots were like iron bars. There are many tracks from the main highway down to the cliff edges for good viewing, as the one's that Stephen has submitted. There is limited room to turn a van around at the end of some tracks. As Stephen stated, don't get too close to the edge.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597325

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:16

Sunday, Mar 13, 2016 at 20:16
Hi Garry

The Track that I have pictures of in my reply is of the track that runs parallel to the coast. There was no limestone on the section that we travelled, except when we did the small detours into the many good viewing locations on top of the cliffs.I have travelled both ways south of the Roadhouse, and yes the section when you head east is a slow drive.

Overall, we found this great easy drive and would do it again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866364

Reply By: Michaeljp - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 15:07

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 15:07
I did the track a couple of years ago in a patrol. I entered via a track just east of the roadhouse and followed the aboriginal lands fence line to the coast. I followed the coast for maybe 20 or so ams then had to head back to the main road as a fence stopped me going further. along that 20km or so the tree roots do stick out a bit but shouldn't be a big problem. But some parts of the track do climb small hills where wheel articulation will help. Its these sections that cause problems with your caravan. You didn't mention what sort of van it is. other than this its a very nice easy drive.
AnswerID: 597412

Sponsored Links