Giles - Mulga Park road to Curtain springs

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:58
ThreadID: 131836 Views:3169 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip through this area for July 2016

I know permits are required for the WA part of the road down to Surveyer Generals corner

But what about the SA section through to Curtin Springs, or alternatively out to Stuart Hway. Can anyone tell me if permits are required for this section and if so where to get them from

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:48

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 12:48
Good luck with that.

You definitely need permits to travel east from Surveyor General's Corner on the Giles Mulga Park Rd out to Mulga Park or the highway. Permission is needed from the APY lands and tourist / transit permits are not granted at all.

Man what a pain that was.

I eventually got permission after about 4 months of waiting and calling and recalling and faxing and chasing and calling down local leaders and gallaries in the towns to support my trip. I had to line up permissions prior approval from each town before the permit office would consider looking at the application.Basically I was told they don't want tourists and I was told by a local policeman that we were the among the only bonafide travellers with a permit he had seen in the year and a half had been there.

I was buying art. You will need to set up appointments with each gallery prior to applying if you want to do this and have the manager and elder send an confirming email to the permit office.
Even then we were told that we could not camp on the lands and had to go into NT at night.

You will get stopped checking for a permit, we got stopped twice.

Certainly try but I strongly suggest that you plan to go out through Docker River. If you do get permission it is a beautiful trip.
AnswerID: 597370

Reply By: Nelson Nomad - Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 18:39

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2016 at 18:39
Thanks for that info Boobook

Looks like I will forget about trying to go that way & will just continue along the Great Central to Uluru after coming off the Gunbarrel at Warakurna
AnswerID: 597380

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:30

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 17:30
It's not far to the Surveyor Generals corner, 1.5 hours maybe each way.

Also make sure you do the tour of the Giles weather station while you are there. It is after the Balloon is let off. It's informal but very interesting.
FollowupID: 866512

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 14:33
NN, Boobook is correct. You won't get a permit as a well intentioned traveller. However, if you are a miner, missionary, store owner, art dealer, contractor, politician you shouldn't have any trouble.

AnswerID: 597445

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)