Scam Warning to Classified Sellers

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 16:44
ThreadID: 131850 Views:2434 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
If you have your phone number listed in your advert - beware of receiving an SMS enquiry that appears to be sent from Exploroz (note - that they use the lower case "O" in Oz and we would never do that) and the text of the message is written in the 3rd person - says "Bradley" (or any other name) is interested in your (item) for sale and if still on for sale to get back to them on (email address) with your firm price.
These have been confirmed as scammers and have been reported to police etc.
As always, DO NOT REPLY to anything suspicious.
If you are unsure if you've received a scam enquiry please send it through to us to verification. We are happy to check if they are registered site users of ExplorOz and will help you identify how to sniff out a scam message. (They are usually a dead giveaway once you've seen enough)! About 3 people in the last few days have reported receiving SMS inquiries with email accounts that are not registered in our database as valid site users so please beware of this new tactic - we've never seen this used before.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 18:31

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 18:31
Thanks Michelle.

Yep! I had 2 such SMS on 8/2 and 13/3.

Both were from "Bradley" but he had 2 different email addresses. I disregarded both of those SMS...figured it was a scam of some sort.

I may be green but I'm not totally stupid!!! hahaha

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597416

Reply By: eaglefree - Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 23:38

Wednesday, Mar 16, 2016 at 23:38
Thankyou Michelle,

Unfortunately it is commonplace now. Lately every Gumtree advertisement I do for sale has had a scammer reply by SMS even though I say in the Ad that I wont reply by SMS.

2016 and this type of criminal activity is still going on. Tony
AnswerID: 597427

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:53

Thursday, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:53
Thanks for the heads up Michelle....

I won't reply to any email that is Hotmail, gmail, livemail, or any email address that you can get without having to prove who you are.... So bigpond.com and others like that you have a billing address and can be found very easily are the only ones that I reply to......

Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597436

Reply By: Colcam42 - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 17:34

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 17:34
Yep, "Bradley" contacted me about my CMCA ad, (Same as my ad in ExplorOz), he used the email "dsky0936@gmail.com". Searched Google and the same bloke used "dsky@outlook.com" to try to scam a car seller.
Forwarded his email to Scamwatch, take care folks,
AnswerID: 597611

Sponsored Links