Old Snowy Camp Ground

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 20, 2016 at 20:34
ThreadID: 131883 Views:3296 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Evening All,

I have been selected to take part in a Mates 4 Mates Activity as part of their rehabilitation activity program. The Activity is a Snowy Mountain Horse Trek with Cochran Horse Treks and we will be base camping at the Old Snowy Camp Ground in Kosciusko National Park.
As there is no info in EO Places for the Old Snowy Camp Ground does anyone have any other info other than what is available from NSW Parks and Wildlife?

The trek is in a few weeks time and I will be looking to get there the day before it starts so will want to do some 4wd tracks while I wait for the rest to arrive.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:52

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 13:52
Hi Kev,
Sounds awesome and I wish you the best of luck!
I've located it and added it to Places. Now we just need some photos.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 597606

Reply By: Member - Odog - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 17:49

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 17:49
G'day Kev, we have camped at tantangra quite a few times, I wasn't sure where snowy camp was, until I just saw the info Michelle put up in places..
Coming in from Rules Point is a nice drive, nothing dramatic, but if the dam level is up, you won't be able to get across Port Phillip fire trail.. Coming in from Adaminaby side is no drama, once you go around the bottom of the dam wall, there are quite a few switch backs, going up the hill, great view once you up the top and drive the ridge line. Last time we towed the camp trailer up there, it was very loose, but I have seen the odd medium rigid truck up there, horse float type of thing.. There is a care taker, looking after an old homestead on the east side of Port Phillip f/t, this is part of the national parks thing.. Great area up there, take a fishing rod with you, if your into fishing.. Some nice trout in there, but check them for worms, in the flesh..
If you head down off the ridge on to port Phillip ft, at the back of the dam, near the bottom of the hill, you can take a left turn, along a track that comes out, and follows the eastern edge of the dam, I haven't been all the way along it, but some nice spots in there, there is also another track, that heads down and around the west side, of the dam, this track is near the boat ramp, before you go past the dam wall, good for a bit of a look.. Can't give away all my fishing spots eh!.. Great spot, enjoy your time there, and your mates 4 mates adventure.. Think Peter? Cochran was the local member for Eden Monaro, few years ago.. Hope this helps.. Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597613

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:03

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:03
Thanks Odog,

I have been frantically trying to get time off work for the trip :)

I contacted NSW Parks and Wildlife today and they only had minimal info as per the details on their website.
All going well it should be a great 6/7 days.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866680

Reply By: Member - Odog - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:56
Kev, I do know there is another horse camp, maybe 5km before the dam, coming in from Adaminaby side, it's on your left, think it is quite a big camp, so not sure which one it might be.. Just for your info... Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597618

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:08

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:08
Going by the info they have provided so far it is the one Michelle has created.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 866683

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:19

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:19
Hi Kev,
Try a google of "Currango Homestead" and you may get more info on that area. Its great country up that way, we have just arrived home from a four day stay up near there.
You will find many trails in the area but most are designated management trails. As a volunteer you may get to do some of these. In years long past we stayed at Currango Homestead and rode a lot of closed trails on mountain bikes.
A trip to Mt Blackjack Fire Tower may interest you, not a lot of 4x4 but some spectacular country. The trip includes Kiandra, Three Mile Dam, Cabramurra, Tumut Ponds Dam & Bradleys Hut. For more 4x4 & a longer day continue back to camp through Maragle State Forrest to the Elliot Way via Powerline Rd and back to base via Sue City. We did the Powerline Rd, Blackjack Fire tower Bradleys Hut circuit last Saturday.
Another day trip could be to Lobbs Hole/The Ravine & return via Cumberland Range & Snowy Mountains H/Way.
Don't forget to pack warm gear as you may well experience some sub zero temperature in the night / morning.
Cheers,
AnswerID: 597702

Sponsored Links