Battery saver

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 15:11
ThreadID: 131889 Views:3027 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering do I need a votage controller between my fridge thats connected via cig socket running off aux battery.I have seen them for about 45 bucks some can have adjustment for different voltage cut offs .Fridge is like 2007 model Engel 40l..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 16:10

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 16:10
Get a better connector for the fridge for starters A ciggy socket is the worst thing to use to hook up a fridge to.
A merit plug or an Anderson plug would be far better.
Yes it would be a good idea to have whats called a fridge switch which cuts out when you stop.
You are confusing terminology A voltage controller sets the voltage you use.
A fridge switch ( low voltage Cutout switch) controls when you do or dont use it.
AnswerID: 597609

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 16:15

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 16:15
Sorry terminology not great.So can I cut the cig plug off and attach new plug.Wondering why all fridges come with cig plugs if not good.??
FollowupID: 866677

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:56

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 18:56
One bad review (sorry Tom) deserves a good review. We have used cigarette lighter style plugs for about 50 years and while the first ones did on a rare occasion fall out the latter ones don't. Not one fallen out in the 100 series that we got in 2009. Not one.

But don't buy on price alone. Some are really crappy.

Phil
FollowupID: 866679

Follow Up By: TomH - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:14

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:14
Its not the sockets as Toyota are noted for quality LOL
As you say some are crappy and pop out as they dont hold in very well
Some have little ferrules on them that when you plug them in you push it down to prevent them coming out.
My Waeco had that. These are good ones

Fridge switch to turn it off when you stop

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6496
FollowupID: 866684

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:47

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 20:47
Why a "fridge stop" switch?

Phil
FollowupID: 866686

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:04

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 08:04
Why cut off a perfectly good plug?
Just use an Engel socket, the cigarette lighter style end separates from the base of the Engel plug & fits into the socket & is retained with a locking ferrule.
FollowupID: 866696

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:18

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:18
When one is travelling, don't need the stress of "is the ciggy plug still working?" so I've gone to Merit plugs/sockets or hard wiring fridge leads.

On our trip across the Rig Road last Oct, didn't have much preparation time so I made up a jiffy box with 2 x Merit sockets, and a fuse panel internally. Ran off the aux battery inside a Jaycar battery box. Did the job okay for the week we were away. Photo below:

When I was setting up our slide on camper, I hard wired both fridge leads straight to the fuse box. Fresh food, cold drinks and no dramas. Did buy an extra lead for both fridges from BCF, in the event we needed to run the fridges in a different situation.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866702

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 16:16

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 16:16
I'm 100% with Shaker on this......

The Engel 12 volt cord is not just your standard old fashioned 12 volt male plug. You can unscrew the end off the plug and you will find that it reveals another "end" which can be securely screwed into a proper Engel receptacle..... See here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baintech-Single-Engel-Socket-BTENGEL002-/252047542533?hash=item3aaf344905:g:QtUAAOSwMmBVwavZ

You can also buy them in multiple units where you can have this type of socket plus a standard cigi socket side by side etc. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BAINTECH-DOUBLE-ENGEL-FRIDGE-CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-DC-POWER-SOCKETS-4X4-/251014190439?hash=item3a719c9567:g:x5gAAOSwpDdVMMl~

Then you just keep the standard plug end in case you ever need to screw it back on in the future.

Roachie
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 866709

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:34

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 19:34
I've used a Cig Socket for 15 years on the Engel 40L the male end of the plug has a thermal fuze incorporated in it so all is good. I do have a piece of electrical tape wrapped around it for safe keeping. No problems at all. My 2001 model Engel does not have a low voltage cutout that I am aware of but i understand you can buy an attachment for that purpose. I check with a Multi meter and dont let the battery discharge below 50% SOC

Jeff
AnswerID: 597617

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 00:48

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 00:48
Yeh Jeff my Engel plug is rock solid in cig socket I would have thought Engel would have tested this simple method of connection .The cig plug is dam solid unit on my Engel not cheap plastic.Low voltage cut out cables are available and I think I will buy one.No point killing a battery on my 7 month trip...cheers
FollowupID: 866690

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 21, 2016 at 21:21
Shouldn't need anything else between the fridge and the power supply the fridge should have a built in low voltage cut off switch.

I have been using standard cig plug on my fridge for 12 yrs no problem just needs to be a firm fit some sockets are too loose and the plug can work it's way out or lose contact easily. I am though changing it to an Anderson plug soon because it will be living it's days out in my canopy till it stops working.
AnswerID: 597621

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 07:53

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 07:53
It is a very sound practice to have a low voltage cutout in the circuit between any battery supply and a high current draining device, such as a fridge.

Waeco fridges usually have a built-in cutout device but Engels do not.
Engels are a very good fridge and will keep running if sufficient voltage is present, down to the point where a battery can be drained too low and may be permanently damaged.

Low voltage cutouts will remove power when the source drops below a nominated level, usually about 11.6 volts. This represents about 1/3 capacity remaining in the battery.

Low voltage devices can be bought for as little as $40 or so and is a sound investment to protect a $350 AGM battery, or even more so, that one starter battery that some people risk using on its own.

As for "cigarette" sockets, some are good and some are bad as far as good connectivity is concerned, but all should be rated at 10A or more and would be capable of carrying the current.
The main thing to look for with plugs and sockets is that they provide a positive type of locking to guard against vibration.

I have standardised all my 12 volt "low voltage" equipment to use the Merrit/Narva style of plug with the red collar, which allows a better connection to the "cigarette" style socket. Even better is the Merrit style connection provided when the red collar is removed and the socket is a Merrit type, rather than the bigger, cheaper cigarette style socket.

For any 12 volt circuit higher than 10A, the 50A Anderson connector is the go, or even in rare cases, a 125A Anderson connector. Obviously for these circuits, suitable heavy duty twin core cabling is required, with both positive and negative cores connected direct to the battery source.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 597633

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:04

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:04
Good one Sandman 100%.. agree.I have dual battery set up amd the owner before me put in 4 extra cig plugs and all fused to aux battery.Interestingly he just used standard batteries.I have replaced with 810 cranking and 105ah deep cycle which is allrounder if starter is stuffed but got the redarc isolator.Wondering which is best method to connect solar panel to charge the aux.It has seperate regulator.Can I simply plug into one of the cig sockets in back of canopy or better straight to battery.Its just got aligator clips as connection at moment .Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 866699

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:25

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:25
I assume you mean solar charging the aux when stationary?

Best thing in your setup would be to simply connect the solar regulator cable directly to the battery via the alligator clips. This would be better than charging via the cig sockets.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 866700

Follow Up By: Stephen F2 - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:18

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:18
Yeh if we camp for a couple days ..cheers
FollowupID: 866703

Sponsored Links