Mulga Park Rd between Stuart Hwy & Mulga park

Submitted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:31
ThreadID: 13189 Views:1985 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
On trip to ayres rock soon, up the Stuart Hwy....thinking of turning left at the NT/SA border (mulga Park rd) to Mulga Park then turn right to Curtain Springs.........2 questions for the enlightened people out there...

(1). is this road to Curtain Springs ok for 80 series and off road camper trailer?

(2). is there any camping spots within an hour of getting onto Mulga Park rd, past 'Victory Downs'?.

Cheers Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:38

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:38
G'day Mick,
the track can be a bit rough, but no problems, just take your time. I go through there quite often with a trailer. Don't go if there has been heavy rain unless you have plenty of time.

You can pull of the track for camping.
I found a good scheldered spot about 40 km before you get to the Lassetter HWY.
I road gravel pit on the r/h side of the road.
You can keep out of the wind and you won't be seen from the track unless you have a roaring fire.
Mike
AnswerID: 60305

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:49

Wednesday, May 26, 2004 at 20:49
We've camped off to the left about 40k east of Mulga Pk, found an old track and wandered out of sight of the road to a sheltered spot.
There are quite a few faint tracks leaving the road, just pick an unused one and go for it.
There is free camping area at Curtin springs too. Just have to pay for power if you want it.
When we were last that way the only access to Mt Conner (4 years ago) was on a guided tour from Curtin, no camping but it may have changed now.
AnswerID: 60313

Reply By: John - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 01:37

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 01:37
Found a few goods tools on this track due to corrugations shaking gear off other vehicles.
Corrugations can be horrendous if there moving stock.
Camping can also be poor in spots due to weeds/thorns/degradation of land due to poor management.
My advice is if you can't afford 2 days to do this route take the bitumen
John
AnswerID: 60366

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:32

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 09:32
Mick,
the road's a doddle.
A few years ago we camped on the left of the road about 10km after leaving the hwy. Nice rocky area with plenty of sandy ground for the swags. We could hear the traffic on the Stuart in the distance, so you might consider moving further west.
AnswerID: 60383

Reply By: Pyalong - Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:47

Thursday, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:47
Thanks for the info gu'ys..very helpful!!!

Cheers,
Mick.
AnswerID: 61487

Sponsored Links