Canning Stock route

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 22, 2016 at 23:43
ThreadID: 131900 Views:2793 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning on doing the Canning in May this year. I have heard that there is a book that describes each dune as you travel. Possibly written by a female. Would anyone know the title ? Or where to source similar reference information.
Also keen to buddy up if anyone is interested. Travelling from Wiluna north.
Cheers Mary Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 06:16

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 06:16
Hi Mary Anne

I suspect you're talking about 'Canning Stock Route : a traveller's guide / Ronele and Eric Gard.' It’s been out of print for many years and it’s very difficult to find a copy.

Not knowing what info you do have I advise the following:
As far as traveller guides go ‘Canning Stock Route - Outback Travellers Guide’ is very good. It has strip maps photos and general info and it’s available at the EO shop.

For a comprehensive history there’s “Work Completed canning - A Comprehensive History of the Canning Stock Route 1906 — 2010’ by yours truly it’s also in the EO shop.

Don’t forget the CSR Trek Notes on EO as well.

Have safe trip

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597649

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 14:43

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 14:43
I have all the above and they are all excellent.

The Outback Travellers Guide is the most useful for navigation. The wavy lines that represent the dunes are not schematic. They do actually show the individual dunes. The guide also helps you to locate all the wells. A few wells have multiple entrances and exits and finding the actual well can be confusing.

Reading about the history and development of the CSR adds greatly to the experience.

Ronele and Eric Gard's book has long been regarded as the Bible of the Canning. It records many fascinating details but is a bit dated as a navigation guide. Track descriptions such as "the next section is straight, level and a pleasant drive" make today's traveller shudder. Everyone has sped up on these sections so today they are a corrugated nightmare.

Phil Bianchi's wonderful book is a very comprehensive history of the CSR and is highly recommended.

The Canning Stock Route Information Pack contains a lot of useful information for planning your trip and is available by download or by mail when you apply for CSR permits at anfwdc.asn.au

Another resource is the $2.99 app:

One Road:Canning Stock Route Project.

This enormous(466MB) multi-media app tells the story of the CSR from an Aboriginal perspective and includes photos and videos of all the wells as well as many historic photos. The graphics are unusually good- the ants that wander across the screen are so realistic that I have tried to brush them off more than once.
FollowupID: 866736

Follow Up By: 464 - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:05

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:05
Thanks for the info !
FollowupID: 866783

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 06:32

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 06:32
You're in luck there is one copy for sale at Elizabeths bookshop Fremantle - disregard postage cost that's to USA. I wouldn't leave it too long it will probably be snapped up by someone else reading this.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597650

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 07:33

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 07:33
Mary Anne, a book describing each sand dune would be about a million pages , ok I exaggerate, LOL........... Hope you enjoy your journey.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 597651

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:37

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:37
Hi Mary Anne.
You may wish to contact Edwina on 1407 443 853 re travelling companion for the CSR
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 597658

Sponsored Links