Camping in the Jindabyne area

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 19:59
ThreadID: 131912 Views:2795 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking to go camping around Jindabyne this school holidays. Looking for mountain biking and fishing. Have a 4wd and off-road camper trailer. Two adults, two kids. Have never been down this way camping so we are looking for recommendations. We are fully self sufficient and prefer to camp in isolation if possible

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Meridith D - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 20:17

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 20:17
We recently camped at Long Plain Hut, we were the only ones there :-)
There are more sites further along the road.
AnswerID: 597689

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 21:23

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 21:23
Try Ngarigo or Thredbo diggings which are both on the TVT bike track. $16/ car /day but it is likely to be crowded as biking is very popular. Jindabyne is pay as you go regular campgrounds and then you still have to enter the National Park but it does have tracks around the lake. Lots of remotish camping with maybe one or two others -see KNP website. Try Cooleman Caves. Many tracks now closed to vehicles but bikes are OK...................W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597692

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 23:14

Wednesday, Mar 23, 2016 at 23:14
A bit further inland from Jindabyne but Tantangara dam (good fishing) is one option Jason. From there you can slip down the road to Yarrangobilly caves for either a guided or self-guided tour and have a swim in the thermal pool / splash pool (toilets, change rooms). Take a look at the NP owned homestead Currango if you're around Tantangara.

Another nice spot is 3 Mile Dam but there will almost certainly be a few others around. Plenty of room either side of the dam but the peninsula is the nicest imo. Doubt you'll catch much there though.

More remote is Lobs Hole/The Ravine with fishing available in the Yarrangobilly River (NSW fishing licence required).
AnswerID: 597694

Reply By: CraigB - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:48

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 08:48
There are numerous free camps off the Barry Way along the Snowy River. Ideal for camper trailer and self sufficiency
AnswerID: 597705

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:31

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:31
We used to stay at Jacobs river on the road which went from near Jindabyne through Suggan Buggan to Buchan in Vic.Might have been the Barry Way?? can't recall. Towed a Penguin camper there and there was some distance of dirt road.
Not sure what the fishing was like though, or that you would be camping by yourself as it was a campground with a long drop toilet.We used to put inflated air mattresses into the water and travel downstream through rapids and it was loads of fun, although that was in January. Would imagine weather in April and the water temp might be chilly.
There were other campgrounds further along the road and i guess if you could find somewhere off the road a bit, you may be able to tuck yourself in and camp by yourself.

cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 597709

Reply By: Erad - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:05

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:05
If you do go into the Kosiuszko Park, you can ride your bikes to the summit. It is an easy ride from Charlotte Pass up the road. You won't be the first to do it, but at least you can say that you did it. I think I can claim a first. In 1968??, I rode to the summit on 27 July. Even with global warming, I doubt that you would be able to do it now at that time of the year..
AnswerID: 597713

Reply By: LandCoaster - Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 20:14

Thursday, Mar 24, 2016 at 20:14
Island Bend is the best kept secret of the Australian Alpine Camping Areas - HUGE camp grounds, lotsa space between formal sites and even more space between informal sites, heaps to do there, has dunnies and is on the riverline and snowline...
AnswerID: 597735

Follow Up By: dalob - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 15:21

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 15:21
Island Bend looks awesome but unfortunately based on the telstra 4G coverage map, signal is very limited. For this trip my wife needs to work occasionally while camping so data coverage is needed.

This has been a difficult trip to plan as all the places we like to go have no coverage, just the way we like it ;-)

FollowupID: 867391

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 17:11

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2016 at 17:11
There are some excellent 60ms 3G camp spots at Island Bend, even in a blizzard. There is a tower/box 2k up the valley in line of sight.
98% of the main upper areas gets good browsing speeds.
The eastern end, 500 feet down the very steep gully by the very steep banked river is a bit dead.
The western end river spots do get a usable signal.
Take an antenna or a long usb cord to allow you to put the device on the vehicle roof to dodge the trees.
have a great time...
FollowupID: 867395

Sponsored Links