Unregistered Trailer not in my name.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:17
ThreadID: 131971 Views:3048 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there i was wondering how I go about registering a trailer that got given to me by my old neighbour over 1 year ago?
Here are the problems ... It's been unregistered since 18/12/2014.
It was registered in a name that my old neighbour doesn't even know.
It's a 2013 Silver Ivan Campers P/L KS Box Trailer. Tare weight: 240kg GVM: 735kg
Manufactured: 12/2013
It has a VIN number stamped on the front bar and VIN plate riveted on aswell.
I've done a Revs Check on the VIN and it has no issues other than it doesn't have a number plate recorded for it. But it still has the old number plate attached.
I guess I want to know how do i claim that it is mine now with no proof of purchase? Can I get a new VIN somehow or change it over?
Thanks for anyone that can help as I'm new to all this.
Cheers Kris.

Also I'm in NSW and the trailer is in perfect condition.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:21

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:21
Ask your local registry office?

They set the rules and they can tell you what they actually need, which can vary depending on which state you are in and what state it was last registered in.

I am a little worried by the statement: "It was registered in a name that my old neighbour doesn't even know."

AnswerID: 597966

Follow Up By: Kris F - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:43

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:43
Thanks for the reply Phil.

I'll explain that statement.

My old neighbour leased his house for a year or so and the tenant was given notice to move out by a certain date (he was a guy that owned a lot of stuff and kept trailers and machinery all over the place, we lived on a street of acreages)
Long story short 45 days had past his move out date and he had left this trailer and other things at the property. By law anything left on the premises of a rental property over the 45 days becomes the possession of the owner of the house.
Since my neighbour rented out his property again after that he gave me the trailer as he didn't want it.

Maybe I should chase up the name of his old tenant? Or do a police check on it?
FollowupID: 867051

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:50

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 15:50
A good idea Kris. And see if you can get a statement from the person or company who gave you the van. A stat dec would be handy.

If all is above board, and I have nothing to doubt that it is, then that may be all that you need to show the registry office that the van is officially yours.

FollowupID: 867053

Follow Up By: Ron A - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 16:44

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 16:44
Here is the law in NSW & Vic
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/ldms/pubstatbook.nsf/edfb620cf7503d1aca256da4001b08af/c7f3c6d8118d4bcaca256e5b00213c3d/$file/97-109a.pdf (refer page 188)
Basically as a Landlord you need to have undertaken certain steps to cover your rear end. If the former Tenant returns looking for his goods your neighbour will have a few issues if these steps are not followed and may be forced to compensate the former Tenant for the Tenants losses.
As a now semi retired Estate Agent in Victoria I personally know of a few Agents and Landlords who have had to write out substantial cheques because they didn't follow the law. One in particular was for a diamond ring that was supposedly left in an old pair of shoes that were thrown out by the Landlord. It is most unlikely this tenant had ever seen a diamond ring of this value let alone owned one but at the end of the day the benefit of doubt was given to the Tenant by the Courts.
FollowupID: 867060

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 17:27

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 17:27
Your links dont work can you repost them using the LINK button
FollowupID: 867063

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 18:57

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 18:57
Tom you just have to copy the whole link . . .

Hope that works. Page 188 apparently.
FollowupID: 867074

Follow Up By: Ron A - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:26
Sorry Tom & Les. The page 188 refers to Vic Legislation. As the OP is in NSW this would be the relevant legislation.

NSW Legislation

FollowupID: 867078

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:46

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:46
I tried to get a trailer registered in NSW and the owner was in jail, the girl behind the counter said I need a receipt, to which I said he is in jail and don't know where he is.... The girl said I just need a receipt (wink wink) she gave me a blank piece of paper and a pen... I wrote it myself in front of her and she said thanks.... trailer now registered.....
AnswerID: 597985

Follow Up By: Kris F - Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 30, 2016 at 20:53
I've heard I just need a basic receipt of sale ... Might need to call the local RMS and see if this is feasible!
FollowupID: 867080

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 06:40

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 06:40
Basic receipt of sale is all you need.
Needs sellers name, address etc and a signature.

I registered a trailer where the seller could not find and subsequently never forwarded me the rego papers.
Had his details etc but no sig. Registry took that ok and changed the details over.
FollowupID: 867103

Reply By: Ozi M - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:11

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:11
I would simply ask the old bloke for a letter saying it was a gift, should there be any problems later from the tenant you should be covered.
If the tenant gets stroppy you might be charged with stealing or receipt of stolen goods if you don't have some paperwork.
AnswerID: 598001

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:16

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:16
It's simple. You need to create a paper trail to ensure you have proof of ownership.

If that proof of ownership cannot be provided with a signed receipt, you need to acquire a statutory declaration from the person you acquired it from, to provide an ownership trail.

If the landlord acquired the trailer via abandoned goods from a tenancy, he needs to have gone through the local process for seizing those goods.
In many jurisdictions, that requires the owner of the property to advertise that the goods are being claimed as abandoned - and after a stated statutory period has passed, if no-one steps forward to claim them, they will be seized and sold to defray costs incurred by the property owner.

W.A. has a fairly good arrangement if you present a vehicle for registration with no proof of purchase.
You have to fill in a very comprehensive stat dec that covers every detail of how you came to acquire said vehicle - including where you saw it advertised, where you found it located, sale contact phone numbers and addresses, and every related detail, except for your shoe size.

It's all about keeping the rego database accurate and uncorrupted, as inaccuracies and corruption lead to huge problems whenever investigations and inquiries are launched.

You could imagine your problem if someone has reported a major theft, and the rego of the trailer you have acquired, is on the police files as being sighted carrying away the stolen items.

The rego database info used to be deleted after 3 years or 5 years. Now, the authorities are realising that keeping the information on record for much longer periods is of great value - and with the low cost of online storage, it's also cheap.
The long-term storage of rego records assists the police and other authorities to solve cold-case crimes and track crims movements.

I have found previously-owned vehicles appearing on my rego file that date back 20 years or more.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 598008

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 01:08

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 01:08
or, you could just forge the signature of the persons "name that my old neighbour doesn't even know" :-)
AnswerID: 598046

Follow Up By: Ron A - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 16:50

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 16:50
Your new room is ready for you fisho. Do you want the top or bottom bunk?

Bubba says he doesn't mind
FollowupID: 867260

Reply By: Member - Idler Margaret - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:00

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 11:00
Hi there
I think you should carefully consider the possibility that you are really in possession of stolen goods. cheers Margaret
AnswerID: 598133

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)