Telstra & other suppliers of Internet & Telephone

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:22
ThreadID: 131977 Views:3101 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
DO YOU CAREFULLY CHECK YOUR MONTHLY ACCOUNT FROM YOUR SUPPLIER? YOU SHOULD!
I received my Telstra account this week (via email) and when checking found 4 charges of $8.97 (plus a further check showed one the day after the account closed. The amounts were charged to my wife's new phone, no details.
I telephoned Telstra Accounts section and spoke to a young man, and I had the normal difficulty of understanding his English but we got through my complaint.
The charges were for a service from an unnamed Company (maybe I didn't understand) and he promised to call thyem. After 20 minutes on hold I was advised that the unnamed company were very busy and that I would hear from them the next day. He also put a block on further charges, but could do nothing for the March charge I have to call them again when my next account arrives. He also pointed out that I had to pay the full amount or be charged $15 for late payment of the disputed amount.
I subsequently received a call from some company who said my wife had gone on line for the supply of games to her phone in February. I explained we are in our 70's and don't do games. Then I threatened them with a complaint to the Ombudsman if they didn't supply documented proof of our authority to charge our Telstra account within 48 hours. I was then told NO we do not supply documented proof BUT I would receive a cheque within 15 days. They are unable to give Telstra a credit as Telstra won't accept them.
I believe this is a scam and suggest you double check you suppliers account
Good luck, stay safe and stay well
PeteM Qld
Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:56

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 09:56
This is an identical post to one I saw some time ago.

The charges come from sites that the owner of the phone has been on and missed either ticking or unticking something in it.

If you post the name of the Company it will make it easier to figure it out.

In the previous thread the poster also said they were 70 and didnt play games

Have a read of this
Telstra unauthorised charges

It seems you only have to open something to get hooked.

I dont use my phone for Data and so dont have the problem.

It only takes a small error on the users part and this is what happens.

Also never let others use your phone or computer. Ive spent hours fixing a friends computer after her stepson (in his 30's) has been using it on dodgy sites and causing problems.

He is now not allowed to use it.
AnswerID: 598004

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 14:03

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 14:03
Hi Tom

Are you saying the if you don't have or use data on your mobile you should be okay with this scam?

Not up with all this mobile phone stuff. And to tell you the truth I really don't want or even need to be. All I want is a safe phone for voice only. Not even SMS.

So should I be okay if I don't use data on it?

Phil
FollowupID: 867130

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:00

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:00
I have a Telstra Prepaid that I rarely use I dont have it set up to access the internet except by Wifi through my computer.
I have turned off Packet data and Data Roaming. Also have Location services off as well and GPS set to Satellites only ( No wireless network)
Years ago when that annoying Crazy Frog ringtone came out I did have a few probs as did everyone else but was fixed OK
Also told Telstra to not allow me to receive spam SMS messages not even from them.
Cant usually turn SMS off and frequently its cheaper to send an SMS and get them to ring you LOL
Have rarely had any problems and only use phone when I absolutely have to as get free to everywhere at home.
Used Email or Skype when I was vanning.
Have had minor trouble with "Free" offers on the computer though but nothing that has cost me any money.
As the other reply said its not actually a scam, just cleverly disguised marketing
It gets you on a page with free offers and as the screen is small you cant read the full page. If you scroll down it will then say something like.
" If you dont cancel this within 7 days you will be charged a subscription of $ XX a week until cancellation"
Hundreds have been caught by this as you will see if you go to my link.
FollowupID: 867132

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:14

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:14
Tom

I am not sure if you are answered my post or not.

I gather that it is data based?

If that is correct then, seeing that I don't use any data services on the phone, it only has a small square screen anyway, then I should be safe from this type of embuggerance!

Phil
FollowupID: 867134

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 16:51

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 16:51
Yes as long as you have the services I stated turned off.
If it has barnacles growing off it as in old it will probaly not be a smart phone and you will be OK

Post the make and model to be sure
FollowupID: 867137

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:14

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 19:14
It's a Telstra T96.

My wife assures me that data is disabled.

Thanks Tom

Phil
FollowupID: 867144

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:47

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:47
My wife did a similar thing with her smartphone. She has a $100, 6 mth, prepaid account with Telstra.
She saw an ad for "free ringtones" and downloaded them.
Keep in mind, this was on the Telstra homepage!

The problem is that these scammy operators suck you in with an offer of "free ringtones" or "free games" - but when you download the "free ringtones" or "free games", you are also being signed up for a regular daily, weekly or monthly charge - all hidden in all the bulldust when you sign up.

The classic layout is that the signup for regular charges is a ticked box that is hidden in a long page, that is not immediately visible - unless you scroll right down the long page, and look for it at the bottom, and untick it!

My wife got suckered into this regular charge - and when she realised to her horror that this charge was eating into her prepaid credit very rapidly - it became a real nightmare to have it cancelled!!

To have the download contract and regular charges cancelled requires you to call Telstra in person and request that the contract be cancelled.
To even find out how to cancel the contract is hidden in more devious verbiage on multiple pages.

I eventually managed to trawl through all the deviousness and sort it out for her, as she was somewhat distraught and couldn't find the process to get out of the charges.

This scamminess is perfectly legal, but it's devoid of any morality, as is typical of so much corporate behaviour.
What is annoying is that Telstra supports these scammy operators and gets a kickback from them.

Another classic is the websites that ask you to "become a member" or "join up" to view something - but they want all your CC details, and they arrange to automatically debit your CC with a substantial weekly or monthly charge if you don't immediately cancel the "membership" after viewing the page or information you wanted to see.

Ancestry.com.au are the biggest scammers around, for utilising the last stunt.
They entice you to visit a page showing some part of your ancestry, and require CC details to do so.
Once you've done that, and visit the desired page, you are immediately signed up for quarterly payments of $149.90 - and good luck with trying to get the contract cancelled!!

They are complete and utter scumbags and have taken a number of people I know for a ride in this manner.
The stupid part is - so much Ancestry.com.au information is available in free public databases!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 598007

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 13:45

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 13:45
Very true and is the basis of the Thread I mentioned . Had forgotten about the ringtones one which is pretty famous for being a virtual scam
FollowupID: 867129

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:16

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:16
After VERY carefully checking my Telstra Account I found the company name:
DIGITAL TURBINE: Phone 1300724406
Yet the Telstra employee told me he couldn't (wouldn't?) name the supplying company.
Spent yesterday checking the amount of data we use, aren't Telstra clever they list everything in MB and then charge you in GB. Just try to work out what you actually did to get the relevant charge????? Impossible! They could be just making it up but you have no way of knowing.
Of course Facebook (Telstra's favourite business) is a huge user of data and if your better halfe is a strong believer in it, then there goes your data allowance.
Regards to all
PeteM Qld
AnswerID: 598102

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:32

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 10:32
Do what I did Closed the Facebook account. Dont know how to twitter or instagram and dont want to.
Am still alive and in contact with who I want to be.
There are several of those type of companies and all are actually affiliated in some way with Telstra despite what they will tell you. Data is usually charged in blocks so you may only use a little bit at a time but get charged for a certain minimum.
I NEVER use data on my phone.
When travelling had one of the old toaster modems and kept in touch through that.
Got better reception than my Iphone did.

Sadly I am one of the minority who prefer to keep my business to myself and dont subscribe to social media at all. The less the masses know about me the better I like it.
FollowupID: 867223

Sponsored Links