Kidson/Wapet Track

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 15:12
ThreadID: 131982 Views:3192 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone recently been along the Kidson/Wapet track to the CSR or Kunawarritji? If so what were the track conditions like?
Thank you regards, Nugget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 16:43

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 16:43
Hi Nugget

Its now called the Nyangumarta hwy - road conditions vary from season to season and number of vehicles that have used the track - so I can't help there.

But you'll need a permit $55

Go here for details
Nyangumarta hwy

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598022

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 17:06

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 17:06
Conditions don't change much out there Nugget. Now that the exploration push has abated, the condition of the track from the Gwenneth Lakes turnoff back to Sandfire (the track that had been beautifully graded to allow for the exploration mobs to get their gear in) will continue to deteriorate. The area east of that turnoff is affected in some areas by erosion and encroaching scrub so unless a fire has been through in the past year, expect a bit of a lashing against the duco here and there. There are no serviceable bores along the route.

We will be keen to hear a track report from you once you've travelled it.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598024

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:09

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:09
G'day Mick,

is Razorblade Bore still working? It was going alright when we were through there a couple of years ago.

From the south the track was good to spectacular, especially through the dunes. Not far north of Razorblade Bore the track started getting scratchy and washed out but soon turned into a big, dirt, badly graded highway.

We actually picked up about 6 or 8 hours because the track was in such good condition on the last section.
Thank you miners, eh?

Have a good drive Nugget.

Steve
FollowupID: 867141

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:40

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 18:40
No Steve, unless it's been fixed in the last 9 months (and I've heard nothing to suggest it is), it's unserviceable and not to be relied on. Hopefully we'll get some updated reports from members this year.

The T/O's may have that info in their permit pack.

Cheers,

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867143

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 21:14

Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 21:14
That's a pity Mick. There was good water coming out of that bore.
It might be a good project for someone that's looking for an excuse to go out there and fix something up. It's just up the road too :)

Hoo roo,
Steve
FollowupID: 867155

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:28

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:28
I drove North up the Kidson/Wapet/Nyyangumarta Highway in August 2015. The track was in very good condition- smooth and firm but punctuated by washouts. The worst washout was on the North side of dune number 6. All 8 dunes are numbered.

The track to Gwenneth Lakes was in good condition but with a few bad washouts. Vegetation was springing up on the track. Mostly bushes but in some areas small saplings were growing. Not a problem in 2015 but in future years they may become more of an obstacle.

Nabaru Rose's Track was in good condition.

No water is available anywhere on the tracks. All bores were broken. The water drums marked on maps no longer exist.

I did not see another vehicle nor any recent wheel tracks. I think people are not aware of the new permit system.

In recent years public access has been restricted due to oil exploration. The "Goldwyer Joint Venture" has now ceased operations. They have left graded tracks and good airstrips at Gwenneth Lakes and Nabaru Rose's Track.

Now is a good time to go. I expect conditions to degenerate as further maintenance is unlikely.
AnswerID: 598063

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 08:44

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 08:44
FollowupID: 867219

Reply By: garri - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:36

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:36
Hi the nugget
bottom part still a bit of a track 100Ks then becomes major mining track
to sandfire. this was 2013 aug.
cheers
AnswerID: 598066

Sponsored Links