Vrilya Point Question

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 31, 2016 at 20:34
ThreadID: 131986 Views:4300 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I have looked at a few sites on the web but cannot seem to get a firm answer on Vrilya Point on the west side of the Cape. It was closed last year for log bridge repair and rubbish pollution. Is anybody aware of the status of the log bridge repair and if and when access will be opened again in 2016?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 06:34

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 06:34
Still closed according to the owners-
http://www.nparc.qld.gov.au/home/-/asset_publisher/gLs7/content/road-closure-notice-vrilya-point
We were there last year when it closed. Was told that, apart from any damage, there was a mining license pending and the damage was a good excuse to permanently shut down access. No idea if there's any truth in that though.

However, according to this- http://www.cape-york-australia.com/Cape_York_News-035.html
you can still camp on the beach provided you can gain access by other means.
AnswerID: 598048

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:58

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:58
Cape York Australia's latest newsletter which arrived this morning still has to time frame for opening, and does not indicate that camping is allowed if you can bypass the bridge, which looks even more degraded in the photo. See Cape York News #45

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 867186

Follow Up By: Member - TonyV - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:20

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:20
Motherhen,

There was some suggestion that camping there via boat was ok, in fact I had spoken with someone in Seisia who has done that in the last couple of weeks, unfortunately their boat broke down. Sat phone time....
FollowupID: 867187

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 15:58

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 15:58
We did hear on forums last year that some were still camping there Tony, but if it was OK or not I do not know. Depends how much of the beach is Aboriginal land I suspect. You may have local knowledge about that.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 867193

Reply By: Member - TonyV - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:17

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:17
Mel,

From today's email.

"VRILYA POINT UPDATES

Another thing - Vrilya Point, and there are always lots of people asking about this.

When will it open, why is it closed, if we get around the bridge are we ok?
Crystal Creek bridge on the way to Vrilya Point, January 2016.

So what happened when in the early 2015 it was announced that it was closed?

In late 2014, the land was officially returned to the local Angkamuthi Aboriginal people, so they are simply managing their land.

Also called Red Point, the area is Angkamuthi traditional country.

The Crystal Creek bridge is not the only reason - apart from the bridge and road works there are also mining and outstation developments.

When it will open is not sure, but nobody confirms that it will be closed for the whole 2016 season."

To get to Vrilya Point you travel through the mining lease, which has been on this land since the Comalco days, so its not new.

I would suggest that with no travellers, Rio Tinto is surveying the area again. Which may be why they would not come to the party last year when asked to help fix the bridge.

We have to remember that this is DOGIT land and has been with the Angkamuthi owners since 1986.
AnswerID: 598071

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 22:21

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 22:21
Thanks All, for the feedback it still seems very loose but appreciate the info.
AnswerID: 598098

Sponsored Links