Best Wireless Reversing camera

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:16
ThreadID: 131994 Views:3447 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have Dual cab with the stupid shrinking mirrors and my eye sight is great except at close up things and have difficulty judging when reversing .Wondering whats a good wireless camera to buy thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:50

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 13:50
Good question LL

I await the responses with interest.

What I'd like is a wireless or bluetooth camera that can transmit to an iPad or Nexus7 (already in use for navigation). It would automatically switch on when reversing, but could be toggled on when moving forward. Zoom and Pan functions controlled with touch screen gestures.

Bob
AnswerID: 598069

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:04

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 14:04
After trying most systems known to man and ditching the wireless ones as next to useless I bought a wired system and fitted two cameras which were switchable as to the one in use. Remember metal is the enemy of wireless and there is a lot of metal in a truck.

I also tried several different screens and found out the rearview mirror one was worse than useless so ended up with a screen on the dash, ( This was before Ipads etc)

Try Safety Dave for a system Most seem happy with him
AnswerID: 598070

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 15:36

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 15:36
We have a dual wired camera system one is fish eye the other is plain and It runs all the time as a rear vision system. It then changes to fish eye to back up. You can overide the auto select as needed.
The other thing I did after must frustration with the curved mirrors is replace them with clear view ones. Best money I ever spent.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598074

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 16:38

Friday, Apr 01, 2016 at 16:38
Chooky and Wobble,

I agree with the curved mirror frustration. In fact they are dangerous as the convex mirror allowing a wider view, also distorts the distance.
Anyone ever noticed how a passing car seems to cut back in too close to you?

The Clear View mirrors are good but bloody expensive and a little too wide when not used for towing.
I took my car to a wIndscreen retailer and asked them to replace the curved mirror glass with straight mirror glass. I then added a two dollar circular mirror to the upper right corner of the left hand mirror to provide a wider view on the left side.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867195

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:51

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:51
Whats the name of your camera system Bill?

Phil
FollowupID: 867220

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 11:09

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 11:09
Hi Sandman my dear dad said designed to create more accidents just like the indicator lights that are hard to see.I always ask my wife did the car have its blinker on or not ..She tells me she didnt see it on either but was on..Just wondering is it legal to change mirrors.My dads car had only shrinking mirror on passenger side and he wanted it changed but car dealer said no.Perhaps because still under warranty cheers
FollowupID: 867225

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:38

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:38
Not sure if you were asking me what camera I bought, but here it is anyway.

http://www.digoptions.com/Premium_Dual_Lens_View_Camera_Black_or_White_Pain_p/rc-dv01-w.htm

I was advised to get the more expensive option of a ccd cameras and it has paid off with the detail and light range.

I bought the cable looms and car connecting flexible spring cable as well.
Because of limited dash space and the fact that the centre inside mirror cant be used due to the back on the ute I opted for the mirror mount display.
As stated reflection can be a problem but I have found as long as you have dark coloured gear and clothing etc in back seat it works ok.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867228

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:45

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:45
Forgot to add that it has a microphone inbuilt and I have connected the audio to the car audio system aux input. This means who is at the back guiding you doesn't have to yell.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867229

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:50

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 13:50
VK1DX.
Don't forget if you get the dual camera you need the dual cable looms as the selection of which camera is done at the display.

Col VK3BLE

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867230

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:23

Saturday, Apr 02, 2016 at 22:23
Wireless was useless to us at the rear of the caravan. Fine for back of tow vehicle and even worked inside the caravan but adding another layer of aluminium to the exterior and the picture broke up. Although sold as wireless we were able to hard wire the cameras.

The main thing to watch for is the focus and angle for your needs. A reversing camera has a close focus and is usually set pointing at the ground so you can see what you are about the run over. These are of little use as vehicles behind you will not become visible until about the pass.

If you want to see down the road behind you and see approaching traffic you need a rear view camera which is focused and aimed down the road. This will be of some benefit when reversing.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 598122

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 13:42

Sunday, Apr 03, 2016 at 13:42
Just following on from Motherhen's comment, if you just want to avoid running into stuff behind you, and look out for children, then get a wide angle camera - usually has a 120 to 170 degree field of view.
If you want a dual purpose camera (see vehicles close behind you, then get a 90 degree camera.
If you just want to see the traffic behind you then get less than 90 degree camera - I've seen 80/70/60/and 30 degrees for sale.

I think I've only seen the wide angle lenses with the wireless kits.

I use a Safety Dave's 90degree wired camera on the caravan with 7"screen on the dash infront of the steering wheel and it does everything I want - see the vehicles coming up behind you soon after you first see them in the mirrors. But you see them as soon as they go to overtake, and when you are overtaking, the camera shows you when you are past the vehicle you are overtaking.
AnswerID: 598139

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:28

Monday, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:28
People like to bag wireless but most have little idea of how it should be installed to get the most from it.
I run two wired cameras on the back of the tug plus a wireless on the back of the camper. The tug cameras give me a shot of the hitch for reversing (displayed on my navigator) plus the standard reverse shot displayed on a separate monitor on the dash. This monitor has 2 inputs so I can also choose the camper wireless camera and leave it on whilst touring..

Where most people fail is trying to get the tiny little signal from the cheapest gear they can find all the way through a lump of a caravan plus the truck. Lots of metal there, all of which attenuates the signal to death. Add to this that they probably also bought analogue systems with no encoding so can effectively pick up the neighbors camera as well.

What you need to do mount the camera on the rear as you would, but run fixed wiring from the camera all the way to the front. Mount the transmitter in a plastic waterproof enclosure externally so there is no metal between the transmitter and the tug.
In my tug, I have the receiver fixed to the top of the rear window on glass so no attenuation involved.

So where you might have 6 or 7 meters of transmission distance plus a heap of steel blocking the signal, I have about 1.5 meters with nothing in between. Line of sight between transmitter and receiver with the maximum signal to noise ratio.
Good pics all the time.
AnswerID: 598168

Sponsored Links