Insurance a dirty word ...

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 13:16
ThreadID: 132042 Views:3026 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have invested a lot in my Hilux. I am looking at insuring for my trip around Oz. I want an insurance that will do vehicle recovery if broken down a on track , cover all my modifications and any non mechanically add ons,. as well as personal gear such as cameras laptops etc .Appreciate any advice if any one had experience dealing with good insurer. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 13:21

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 13:21
Give '' Club 4x4 insurance '' a call
AnswerID: 598267

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 14:43

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 14:43
I would agree. I recently insured my vehicle with them & not only was it the easier to get all the mods included compared to other insurance companies, but the premium was over $200 less than the renewal with my previous insurer, & $11,000 better agreed value. Covered anywhere in Australia provided it's legal to be there. They also have an additional remote recovery option which no other company offers as far as I know. The additional premium isn't peanuts, but if stuck in the middle of the Canning (for example) it would be good to know you had it. Covers you for up to $30k recovery costs.

They are a fairly new company, but seem to be picking up a great deal of custom quickly by virtue of offering what folk want rather than telling them what they can have.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867439

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:08

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:08
Thanks Cuppa and Jackolux ,Just wondering what is rough cost of recovery say from Simpson Desert,And would they bring the vehicle back to say nearest workshop to be repaired?(if possible)Thanks.
Yes interesting cost less than my current insurer but then theres add ons for offroad which add but still good value if things go bad...
FollowupID: 867440

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:33

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:33
The answer is yes they'll cover you for recovery to the nearest workshop if you need it.

You'll find the info in the linked forum thread of interest & I expect it may answer other questions you may have. You'll need to read right through it though as the conditions/cost of the remote area recovery 'add -on' have changed very recently.

I hope it's acceptable to post such a link here.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?35914-Club-4X4-Insurance-for-4X4-Enthusiasts

One thing I've found refreshing is the open communication the insurer is prepared to engage in.

Ps. I'm no company stooge, I'm just passing on info.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 867442

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:34

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:34
For clarity, Club 4x4 is an authorised representative of The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd and has agreed to the use of its name for this insurance product.

On recoveries, it is worth having a good read of the PDS document.

The PDS indicates you will be covered for the recovery costs incurred (up to the agreed limit) back to the nearest gazetted road. That suggests the costs incurred after that point are for your account. This point could still be a long distance from where you need to get your vehicle back to for repairs, so it may be still advisable to have a membership of one of the State Motoring organisations.

Another item worth reviewing in the PDS document is the clause relating to the Costs of dismantling, diagnosis and reassembly (page 21 of PDS). I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I haven't seen it before.

Mind you, I’m not suggesting that the Club 4x4 offering is either appropriate or otherwise, and I did take a look myself and premiums were greatly reduced versus my current. But I like to understand why it is that much cheaper as price is only one consideration in choosing an insurer and I can’t reconcile why it is that much cheaper. So will be watching with interest...

But overall, apart from price you will not find too many differences in this policy, other than the recovery add-on, than you will find in other insurance company policies.

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 867443

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:37

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:37
Baz, what you have posted is now out of date, if you navigate toward the last 25% ish of the thread I linked to above, you'll get the latest.

FollowupID: 867444

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:44

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:44
Cuppa...

Yes thank you, I was posting after reading the PDS which still has that information in it, although I note the company does have a supplementary note on its website that I overlooked.

I was going back to "edit" my post but couldn't as you had followed up mine!

I recall having a discussion on this point with the company as whilst a step forward in terms of having the recovery feature it was still limiting. So it is good to see this has been refined and improved.

Noting, it is still limited to...

"Tow or recover the vehicle to the nearest town or sealed road, whichever is closest."

But this should satisfy the requirements for most outback travellers.

Cheer's Baz
FollowupID: 867445

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:06

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:06
"But this should satisfy the requirements for most outback travellers."

Yes, but still wise to have RAC cover too I reckon.

And the add on remote area cover has to be taken out at the time you take out the insurance or at renewal only, & at $600 (for up to $30k recovery costs - they have a cheaper $15k option too) + 5% of claimed recovery cost excess, you would only take it out if planning a remote trip that year.

What I liked apart from the fact that the insurance premium was cheaper were 2 things:

1. clarity about where you are covered (other companies said Australia wide, but on looking closer there were exceptions like 'action of the tide', & some even insisted on gazetted roads only.

2. My vehicle falls between 4wd & campervan. Many 4wd insurers just said 'sorry too hard' when I mentioned things like a built in kitchen & hot water service. Particularly as the 'modifications' value is as much as the vehicle value. Club 4x4 didn't even require a list of inclusions. Their view was as long as it's legal we'll cover it. I told them the agreed value I wanted, they considered it & came back to & said yes. I then insisted upon telling them of the 'camper inclusions', to which they still said 'no problem. A much easier process than with most companies

Of course the real value can only be determined if a claim is ever made. On that I can only have a gut feeling based upon the interaction I've had with them to date, & I don't feel I need to keep my fingers crossed too tightly.

FollowupID: 867447

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:45

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 17:45
Ah yes - as you indicate, even after carefully reading the PDS, none of us will ever know the value of an insurance policy until it is tested by someone via a substantial claim. Until then, it's just a piece of paper, possibly giving us a sense of comfort :-).
FollowupID: 867451

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 14:57

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 14:57
There are plenty of offerings out there that will meet most of your requirements, but prices will vary.

And you’ll find most insurers’ are good, some better than others, where it tends to go pear-shaped is when people do not read what they are actually covered for and the conditions imposed on that cover.

I am with Alliance, have all modifications on the vehicle (all engineered certified) including a performance tuning module on the vehicle

The key with any insurance is to read the PDS document.

The PDS clearly outlines what you are covered for and what you are not covered for.

There are not many that will cover you for a recovery unless it relates to an event that is covered under the policy. Most comprehensive policies cover for “accidental loss or damage” but not for a breakdown.

I did review the Club Insure Policy as it include this feature for an additional fee, but it is worth checking whether this recovery feature of the policy covers you in all situations and in all places.

You may find that the State Motoring organisations will cover you for recovery from the areas you are travelling in – just check with them.

I’m less inclined to talk about specific insurers’ simply because you will find people who are happy with them and some that aren’t, making your choice no simpler – however, I am with Alliance, have all modifications on the vehicle (all engineered certified) including a performance tuning module noted on the policy along with accessories. The policy also provides some limited cover for personal effects. However these are already covered under my home contents policy in any case.

Enjoy your trip, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 598270

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:19

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:19
Thanks Baz like many things have to shop around and read fine print. Like Airlines give cheap tickets but then you have to add baggage food etc becomes just as expensive as the next Airline that includes everything in 1 price..
With the recovery sounds like e.g. you need to hit an animal therefore constituting an accident.But if vehicle decides to bleep itself, then no recovery.So then need cover the likes of RAA we have here in SA.
I just read today somewhere on forum today if you you breakdown make sure you smash the vehicle first ha ha ha . Bit hard to do if bugger will not start.I suppose if you on top off hill could let it roll down..I digress sorry..
FollowupID: 867441

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:51

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 15:51
LAZYLUX16 , the only way you will really know is contact the insurance company's and ask the questions that relate to where you are intending to travel .

Club Insurance will cover you for remote recovery , for break down and crash damage , they have just updated their PDS to say to the nearest Town or Bitumen Road , there was some confusion before because it said Gazetted Road

The remote recovery has a extra premium .

RACV Total Care is only for break down not impact damage and they will only where a normal 2wd vehicle can service .
AnswerID: 598271

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:08

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 16:08
No worries Jackolux I sent them a good lot of questions, so I will get all answes back in writing.One of the questions was about recovery." Do they actually cover mechanical failure without being in any accident?
They include $1500 in the policy and then you pay for more cover for upto $15000 and then more for 15k to 30k for recovery costs.
Cheers
FollowupID: 867448

Reply By: Jackolux - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 18:47

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 18:47
Yes they do cover mechanical failure , I changed over to them last month , l got several grand better agreed value , I went for the 15k remote cover , also insured my Tvan with them .
Like all insurance , I hope l never need to make a claim but if l do l hope they come up with the goods .

Let us know how you go

Regards Jacko
AnswerID: 598276

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 20:09

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 20:09
Yes I got reply from them.You pay for the recovery upfront and they reimburse once they recieve receipts.Sounds good to me. I pay $860 at moment .And with insurance can pay monthly so only need this type of Insurance while traveling..Cheers
FollowupID: 867458

Reply By: 2000 Red Rodeo - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:26

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:26
I went through this exercise recently in planning our trip.

I have a dual cab patrol, the agreed value on my previous policy was over $15k less than i paid for the patrol before what i then spent on extras.

I ended up with the following to ensure i am fully covered

1) Club 4x4 including $15k remote recovery.
2) ANZ home insurance which covers my contents even while away from home (including tents, fridges, camping gear, etc) upto the contents cover. Ie $100k
3) RACV total care which includes road side assist cover and extended towing, etc

I was very impressed with club 4x4. They had no issues with any mods and the agreed value showed they understand what it really costs to replace a kitted out 4x4. They do offer camping and equipment cover but because i have it covered under my house policy i didnt take that out.

Make sure you ask all the the questions. Dont assume anything.

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 598281

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:35

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2016 at 21:35
Four Wheel Drive Victoria have organised a 4WD vehicle policy through Affinity Insurance Brokers Cheltenham Vic. This policy is specially designed for four wheel drivers and gives you an insurance cover that is second to none. If you find a cheaper insurance you need to very carefully and compare the PDS's to ensure they cover the same things.
What's important in any insurance policy is what happens if you have to make a claim. You cannot compare how different companies handle claims. I can personally attest that claims under the policy through Affinity are both speedie and easy.
I am not sure if this policy is only available to Victorians, I don't think so, but you would have to check.
Affinity give me great peace of mind, as I know I am covered for all eventualities.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 598282

Reply By: David T6 - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 16:18

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 16:18
A rough idea of recovery costs.
We seriously broke our camper trailer on the Birdsville track last year in the Birdsville races week. Think broken lower control arm and rim hammered around the brake drum and not able to remove. So not fixable on the roadside and needs a flatbed.
Anyway we were stranded 200km down from Birdsville and rang the nearest recovery place south. The nearest south was Leigh Creek 500km each way.
Charge $27 per km each way.
AnswerID: 598367

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Saturday, Apr 09, 2016 at 19:27

Saturday, Apr 09, 2016 at 19:27
Wow thats a lot of dough .It seems bit over the top.And how do you get to Legh Creek.If vehicle worth below tow cost what would you do? Looks like the insurance is goin to be worth it if they do as they say.But appears you need to pay up front for recovery and then they reimburse.But what if you aint got 15 grand in bank ??
FollowupID: 867577

Sponsored Links