Optus coverage up around Wilpena Pound

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 13:24
ThreadID: 132052 Views:6283 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with optus at and around wilpena pound resort? Does it work there for phone? Does data work? Is it 4G? (Need it for possible work calls. I was on telstra and it worked, but about to be moved to optus.)

The optus coverage maps on their website hint maybe there is, but they're not very detailed.

I did a quick forum search, but couldn't find anything recent.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Zippo - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 14:42

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 14:42
The Optus coverage map shows nothing past Hawker on the trek up to Blinman. In my experience one thing you can say about all coverage maps - Optus included - is that they are invariably optimistic. On that basis I'd venture you will be SOL.

One key thing to always bear in mind with cellphone coverage is the installed frequency bands vs the bands in your mobile device. To that end I often employ a search tool which details installed capability.

Telstra do show coverage at WP. Unable to ascertain their exact site, so it doesn't lend itself to band disclosure via OzTowers.
AnswerID: 598301

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 17:13

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 17:13
at the risk of stating the obvious why not just give them a call and ask ?
AnswerID: 598316

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 18:40

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 18:40
You obviously never had to call Optus - I doubt some Filipino in there overseas call centre would have a glue.

Service and Optus should not be used in the same sentence.
FollowupID: 867488

Follow Up By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 18:44

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 18:44
I don't mean optus : the 'obvious' being Wilpena Pound Resort themselves.
FollowupID: 867490

Follow Up By: ChrisGU - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:50

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:50
Thanks for your response. I had thought about that, but thought I'd start here to see what travellers had experienced first. I'll be in the campground so may be different to in the resort/main complex. Plus the surrounding areas.
FollowupID: 867495

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:26

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:26
Hi Chris

The only real reliable mobile phone coverage away from the big smoke is Telstra.

Many complain about Telstra, but they seem the only guys to bother about phone coverage away from big towns.

We have stayed many times in Wilpena and Telstra offer 100% coverage for both mobile phone and wireless internet.

Same as Birdsville, you can get 2 bars from Telstra on Big Red. You can tell who is using Telstra on top of Big Red and those that only wished they had Telstra.

I live in country South Australia and many of the big phone Providers are tollally useless in many country areas with the exception of Telstra.

You may oy dearer for Telstra, but at least you know will will have phone coverage compared to no service at all from others.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598319

Follow Up By: ChrisGU - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:52

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:52
That's what I thought. The move from telstra is not my choice unfortunately. So thought I'd see if Optus works there at all.
FollowupID: 867496

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:58

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 19:58
Ive had connection with telstra in places where only satellite phones are supposed to work, at certain times of the 24 hr day where no connection what so ever is available my telstra account works for atleast a 5min call home. My fellow Optus account holders had absolutely no chance.
Optus sucks!
FollowupID: 867497

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:46

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:46
Hi Chris and Cruiser

As I said, I live in country SA and not far from us over on the Yorke Peninsula, they hold Field Days every 2 years at a place called Paskeville.

You can tell the city reps over there trying to make phone calls and they look at their phone try again, look again, it is so funny. One rep even came up to my boss and asked if he could use his phone to contact the head office requesting more stock and when asked why he did not use his own phone, they reply was it works ok in the city, there must be something wrong with the phone. Then when asked what was his service provider, he said the company and my boss just laughed and told him he needs to spend more time out in the country and not to waste his time with other service providers, other than Telstra.

And for the record, No I do not work for Telstra, just know what providers work and those that do not.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867502

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:13

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:13
WiFi is available in public areas and charges are applicable
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598321

Reply By: ChrisGU - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:56

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 20:56
Thanks all. It's pretty much what I thought. Nope.

It's unfortunate my work is moving me off telstra when they are. Think I'll get a telstra prepaid sim and divert my number to it.

I've used telstra in the past up that way without issue.
AnswerID: 598325

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 21:12

Thursday, Apr 07, 2016 at 21:12
Hullo ChrisGU

My mobile is with Optus, my tablet with Telstra and I also carry a cheap ($48) mobile (T96) from Telstra with a prepaid ($70/year) sim when I am out of range with Optus.

Over the last 4 years we have traveled around NW and central WA, the NT, outback Qld and outback NSW plus frequent trips into the Vic High Country.

Generally Optus has give us the mobile coverage we needed and in situations where it was not available, we used the Telstra mobile. In some areas we have received Optus coverage and no Telstra, but it has more often than not the other way around. Sometimes a mining operation will have an Optus service way out in the donga and the mobile picks it up with a message notification.

In my experience, talking to customer service is problematic with both suppliers, with Optus slightly in front by a nose!

With respect to the Flinders, the last time we were up that way, Optus cut out at the first major saddle north of Hawker on the main Leigh Creek Road. If you were to climb St Marys Peak, you may get a signal :-)

If you intend to do a lot of remote travel and are supplied with an Optus mobile, you may wish to do as we did and invest in the cheap Telstra phone.

Oh, btw, people who have bought plans from a supplier that uses either Telstra (eg Southern) or Optus (Amzim?) need to be aware that these plans are for city or major regional areas use only, with more rural towers blocked.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 598326

Reply By: Member - Keith A1 - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 13:51

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 13:51
If you get up high enough you are a chance. We were at Rawnsley Park Station in August and if you climbed the hill behind the camping park it was possible to get reasonable reception on Optus. And your exercise for the day. On a similar theme, don't rush into buying Wi-Fi access from the caravan parks as you pay up to $10 an hour and even with Telstra can struggle to get anything downloaded in that time as it is so slow.
AnswerID: 598362

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 08, 2016 at 14:10
Hi Keith

As I did above, I could not comment about Optus coverage at Wilpena. We were camping in the camping area at Wilpena and had full coverage with Telstra at our camp and with the WIFI internet, I was refering to a being able to use our mobile internet divice, also with Telstra, giving us internet while sitting by the campfire.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867534

Sponsored Links