The Australian kelpie: New book

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 19:29
ThreadID: 132089 Views:2552 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
-
Many of us who travel outback would be admirers of the Australian kelpie. I sure am.
A new book claims to have found vital answers to its ancestry, including proof of a dash of dingo in its DNA.
An ABC story on this is here.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 19:40

Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 19:40
Hi Allan

Thanks for that. Kelpies are a great dog, as well as Blue Healers,

Our Healer just turned 16 the other week and is still as faithful as she ever was, and the Kelpie who is 6 is a real softy and also a great loyal dog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598460

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 20:21

Sunday, Apr 10, 2016 at 20:21
We've always had Border Collies on the farm.

Till we met this little girl...

Used for farming, but not the type she was intended. She was chained to a tree and battered, bruised and abused. She was bred continuously and not fed properly for 3 1/2 years of her life.

6 months later, a lot of love and her resilience shines through...

When I had her desexed, we had a DNA test done (a commercial kit available at the vet to identify mixed breeds). She came back 90% kelpie, 5% Unknown and 5% dingo.

Even without formal training, she works alongside the Borders like a well oiled machine. She will even work the cattle while the borders lay up and hide in the troughs.

I can't wait to locate a copy of the book - thanks Alan.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 598464

Follow Up By: honest - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 19:27

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 19:27
Anyone who does that to a beautiful little dog like her deserves their nuts cut out i had a kelpie crossed red cattle for about 14yrs so smart and loyal good to read she is in good hands.
cheers Honest
FollowupID: 867738

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 20:11

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2016 at 20:11
Your right Honest,

But not just to beautiful ones like her...

...there are a lot of not so beautiful ones that are treated just as bad, sometimes worse.

When we picked her up from the shelter, we were looking at an older Lab (5 or so) as a companion dog for our old mum, but she had gone when we got there (the dog - not mum).

We were asked about taking a kelpie, but like I said we were not really interested in them. The lady at the shelter told us she needed to home this dog quickly. We were told Kelsie didn't like men or children - great in a family of 3 males and two of them children.

I asked how she would be on a farm and was told "she was on a farm but...." And we were told her story.

I opened the car door to get my phone to take a photo so we could go home and talk about it as a family. She jumped in my Landcruiser - and that as they say, was that.

There are so many other "Kelsie's" out there. I just hope people don't over look them because the alternative is not very pleasant.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 867739

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 21:21

Monday, Apr 11, 2016 at 21:21
Hi Allan

Great read !

I had a blue heeler kelpie cross and if given the opportunity to have another 12 years with that amazing animal / friend, I would happily have my right arm cut off without any hesitation whatsoever if it were at all possible !!!
How smart are these wonderful animals compared to some dumb humans ??

Cheers
Gazz
AnswerID: 598518

Sponsored Links