Ernest Giles Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1321 Views:2670 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Visiting Kings Canyon in early July and thinking of returning to Alice Springs via Ernest Giles Rd. Can anyone tell me what it's like. Also do you need a permit? We are traveling as a group (3 Landcruisers) and any other suggestions/alternate routes is welcome. Thanks Heaps - Pat.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
You don't need a permit, just look out for the tourist buses. More interesting by far is the Mereenie Loop Rd which winds around and takes you in through the West MacDonnel Ranges. You can puchase the $2.00 pass at Kings Canyon resort (go to reception to the south of the road as you enter the resort). This is an easy drive and takes you through much more interesting terrain. Always use the road less travelled :-). Be prepared to be blown away by Kings Canyon if you haven't been there before. Give yourselves plenty of time.
AnswerID: 4245

Reply By: Pat- Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for that Bob. What's the Mereenie Loop Rd like. I'd say we are moderately experianced offroaders but are not setup for anything to serious or remote on this trip.
AnswerID: 4247

Follow Up By: Damien - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
Pat, the Mereenie Loop Road is a dirt road but is quite aften driveable in a 2wd vehicle. We did it 2 years ago in a Commodore & the road was in excellent condition (it had been graded a couple of days before). The road will generally be closed to 2wd traffic after rain, but remains open to 4wd & i believe it's not too bad. You can ring Kings Canyon Resort or NT Tourism & they will update you on the current conditions.
I would highly recommend taking this route as the scenery is spectacular & i can guarantee you will not regret it.
FollowupID: 1836

Sponsored Links