Hema HN7

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 16:51
ThreadID: 132126 Views:1985 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys N Gals
I have a quick question, I am looking at getting a Hema mapping system and was all set to buy the HN7 that comes with it's own screen etc when a friend asked why ? and why not just down load the Hema app ( about $240 I think ) so my question is is it better to buy the complete HN7 system or just down load the app onto a tablet ?

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobMac (QLD_Member) - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 08:06

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 08:06
I'll be following this with interest...... but for me, I've always found a dedicated GPS device better than using a Tablet/iPad, even though with the Tablets/iPads u have more flexibility in the extra things that they can do. Having both would be better as they can back each other up.....
I know that the majority of people these days prefer the tablets/ipads, I still like the dedicated GPS units

rob
Cheers..... RobM
Defender PUMA 110 "New School Tourer"
Defender 110 Tdi300 "Old School Tourer for Solo Trips"
DiscoTDi for Work/Play

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598670

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 09:51

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 09:51
Gidday

As Rob points about, a tablet is a multi function device. You can't browse exploroz on a Hema navigator as I am doing now.

And If you already have a tablet with a GPS there is plenty of free or low cost mapping around to try before spending up on the full suite of Hema maps, many of which you would probably never use in a lifetime

I have an iPad with the free free memory map app which gives me outback tracks and when I travel interstate google maps and apple maps guide me around.

And yes I know Apple maps have got people lost ...

A dedicated navigator is on the "nice to have but not necessary list" for me at this point.

Cheers
AnswerID: 598675

Reply By: Member - Noah273 - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 14:53

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 14:53
Hi Peter,
I think the answer to your question depends on what you want out of the device. They both do different things. If you're just after maps then the Hema app comes with quite a number of various maps plus for greater detail you can download extra maps at a cost of course. The app doesn't give direction, that is, guidance from A to B.
HN7 is a navigation tool. Not only does it give you maps but also street navigation and 4WD route navigation. It plans the route for you. The App doesn't do that.
Neither is perfect and no doubt you'll be spending money which ever way you go.
That's the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
Bryan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 598685

Follow Up By: pmacks - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 15:14

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 15:14
Thank you everyone !!

much appreciate the help !!

Thanks Bryan your explanation makes it kinda clearer for me, and to be honest I think I will now go back to my original plan and get the HN7 with its own screen

Thanks Peter...
FollowupID: 867872

Reply By: Member - WBS - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 21:43

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 21:43
Just make sure you buy the right Hema App. There is Hema Explorer App or Hema 4WD maps app. The first is more suitable for using with internet availability. The latter is more for remote navigation. There is a comparison of the two apps on the Hema Web site
AnswerID: 598694

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 06:14

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 06:14
Dunno about HN7. HN5 screen was hopeless when it was sunny - even just bright ambient light.

Auto-routing - you'd never rely on it offroad anyway.
AnswerID: 598701

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:17

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:17
As stated previously, both have their good points. Personally I have been using memory map on a samsung 10' note, nice big screen which makes viewing easy. Memory Map allows you a great choice of map options to download, hema, ozi etc, rather than being confined to one source. Using the tablet also gives the advantage of when in areas of reception the abilty to access the net, mounts for such are also cheap, I bought one off ebay 3 years ago for $20 and came with the car charger as well, and has not let me down and has held the tablet securely, eg the Cape 6 times. I have also found that the hema maps do not name some of the creeks on the cape, so for me its as simple as pulling up another map for that area from the 87 I have loaded.
AnswerID: 598717

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)