Hema HN6 and OZI

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 20:58
ThreadID: 132128 Views:1977 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a HN6 with OZI CE. I have changed to Macbook Pro which will not recognise the Hema, even through Parallels VM. Maps OK - GPS no good.
I want to plan and plot through Laptop and use that in car in addition to HN6.
As I see it i have to buy a new Windows Laptop and full version of Ozi.
Any suggestions of suitable (meaning cheap!) Win Laptop that would be suitable or any alternatives.
Also any suggestions for mounting Laptop for passenger use (preferably with a swivel mount)
Thanks
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:07

Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:07
Hi

What do you mean by "Macbook Pro which will not recognise the Hema, even through Parallels VM. Maps OK - GPS no good."

In particular comments "Maps OK - GPS no good" - somewhat ambiguous.

Are you trying to using the Hema N6 as an external GPS for OziExplorer moving map on a PC/Mac?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 598653

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W14 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:20

Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:20
I'll try and explain more. When I connect the Hema HN6 to my Macbook the Mac will not recognise it. Therefore i have no communication between the MacBook and the HN6. I have Parallels installed as a VM on the Macbook and whilst this allows me to see and use OZI files and my maps I cannot load or transfer info between the Macbook and the HN6
And the last answer to the last question is yes!.
FollowupID: 867838

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:38

Thursday, Apr 14, 2016 at 21:38
Ok

AFAIK the HN6 doesn't output gps position data (NMEA) direct for use by external moving map programs such as OziExplorer (on a Mac or a PC..or anything)...so getting a Windows PC wont solve that issue. Many "proper" GPS units do it but a "GPS mouse" may be your best option. Have no idea if they work with Mac + OziExplorer in VM environment.

As far as data transfer goes maybe try a card reader and take SD card out of HN6 (assuming that's were Ozi data stored).

Here is a Mac Option...MacGPS Pro.

Not free and still requires a proper GPS with NMEA output if you want to use moving map. Does however use ECW maps (and others) and GPX data (waypoints tracks) so some cross compatibility with maps and data files you can also use in Ozi and Hema HN6.

Some Mac users on the forum - maybe they can assist???

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 867839

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 08:22

Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 08:22
I have a MacBook Pro and have run Parallels, I have switched to VirtualBox as this is free. I have a Navman S50 which I have unlocked and installed OziCE on it and a Garmin Etrex. Both work fine using Ozi in the Windows VM and I can use the Etrex for moving maps.

As an aside I dumped Parallels as every time the was a Mac OS X update the previous version of Parallels wouldn't run on the new OS and they would charge to update.

Kevin
FollowupID: 867853

Reply By: Member - Drew Cruiser - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:34

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:34
I also have a Hema HN6 and a MacBook Pro. I run VM Ware Fusion instead of Parallel and it works fine. No need to go to the dark side just yet. Hema Tech Support were brilliant with the one small issue I had.
AnswerID: 598886

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:33

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:33
You are on the dark side :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868056

Sponsored Links