GOLD GOLD GOLD

Submitted: Friday, Apr 15, 2016 at 23:52
ThreadID: 132140 Views:2292 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I just saw advertised at bottom of page, Gold Atlas for NSW, considering gold has been panned, mined and sieved, since the 1800's, would there be any gold left?

It would seem the only people making gold are the sellers of metal detectors and books?

Is there a Holtermann's nugget still in the ground?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 00:58

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 00:58
There is still a vast amount of coarse gold to be found in every prospective gold-carrying area - because it has been proven that water travelling through the ground carries free-radical chemicals along with it, that dissolve and precipitate gold, in the ground.

So an area that is reputed to be "worked-out" can produce new nuggets again after a number of years, or sometimes decades.

Here's some light reading on the chemistry of gold dissolution and deposition.
The Agency of Manganese in the Superficial Alteration and Secondary Enrichment of Gold Deposits

I can recall a Ripleys "Believe it or Not" story where a pit prop in an old Victorian underground gold mine was removed after many decades, to assist in further mining - and a gold nugget in the precise shape of the base of the prop, was found, when the prop was removed!

I can tell you a number of stories from old prospectors I knew, of gold being found again that had been lost, buried or stolen by miners. In some cases, the amounts of gold found were very substantial. As a result, gold prospecting occasionally produces treasure finds of decent value.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 598700

Reply By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 08:00

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 08:00
Heard old story, that a Chinese miner back in the day, had been hiding his stash, up in the gold fields around Kiandra, in the snowy Mtns... Group of bush ranger types, found his camp, and when he wouldn't tell where he hid it, they killed him.. They say the gold is still hidden up there somewhere.. This story was early days of the snowy scheme, late 40s.. Who knows... Cheers Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 598703

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 08:57

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 08:57
Gold is being commercially mined in several places in Australia. Kalgoorlie for example.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598709

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 09:25

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 09:25
There's a gold mine at Lake Cowal, between Forbes and West Wyalong and they mine the rock for 1.5 grams per tonne of rock. It is as fine as ground pepper and dispersed through the rock as a vapour and condensed into these fine particles when the rock cooled during early volcanic activity.
AnswerID: 598710

Reply By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 17:16

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 17:16
I just like to say thankyou for your replies, I'm off to buy a detector and my book, now which detector? lol

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 598733

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 20:47

Saturday, Apr 16, 2016 at 20:47
Don't get a cheap one.

Basically, you have Mine lab or Garrett to choose from.

There is no gold left, so don't bother :)

Seriously, get out there and enjoy. We are doing it in WA and we have not found the big one yet. If you can cover the cost of your trips, with maybe a bit left over, you are having a good time.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 867916

Sponsored Links