Travelers lost in the Pilbarra

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 19:24
ThreadID: 13217 Views:1778 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A search was started yesterday for a couple of German tourists.

From the ABC News:
" The husband and wife in their 70s embarked on a trek from Ashburton Downs station 150 kilometres south-west of Paraburdoo about 8:00am (AWT) yesterday.

They were due to make radio contact with a fellow tourist by lunchtime but failed to do so.

Residents at Ashburton Downs station searched for the couple until midnight and then contacted police.

A police aircraft from Karratha is now scanning the area.

Police say the man and woman are fit and prepared, carrying one and a half litres of water, some fruit, a radio and a GPS device."

I know of a couple who wanted to join another traveler in that area and am wondering if it maybe the same people.

Any of you guys in WA have any more info ?

Cheers,
Mike

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 22:57

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 22:57
Mike,

I have no clues, but I must say as a bush veteran that these "German Tourists" (read "non-australian tourists") are getting on my nerves. They come over here for a holiday, go out with a litre of water 'n an apple, into a country that'll kill ya if yer not careful - and then members of the SES and general Australian public risk and lose thier lives trying to rescue 'em. This happened earlier this year.

I've seen people out in the WA Goldfields a long way out on the edge of the desert in old Toyota Hi-Ace type vehicles, with no spare wheel, 5 litres of water, no tools, enough food for a day or two and asking me for help to fix a puncture. This is 250 kms north east of Laverton! Added to which they are usually lost! They damn well annoy me and they shouldn't be out there.

Bah!!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 60534

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 00:28

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 00:28
"carrying one and a half litres of water"

Gee well prepared...
AnswerID: 60543

Reply By: Phlip - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:09

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:09
We drove through there a couple of years back - and did 3 tyres in 100 kms between Mt Augustus and Ashburton Downs. We were travelling in convoy and had no problems, but I remember working on one puncture thinking how lonely the country would be if you were alone.
AnswerID: 60596

Sponsored Links