Kroombit Tops from Biloela, via Razorback Road.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:23
ThreadID: 132178 Views:4018 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of doing this soon. How tough is it? How deep generally are the creek crossings? I have a pretty vanilla 2011 Pajero.

I have been up there before via both Clonmel Road from Cania Gorge, and the less known link from Monal Road.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 20:38

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 20:38
Keep in mind i last drove it about 2 years ago, but i'd say it's not really that hard drive at all IMHO if you have some basic 4wding experience. There are some steepish loose hills to climb along the way, but nothing hard to negotiate really, mostly just a gravel track with some great views along the way to be seen. At the time we drove it there was one creek crossing at the Biloela end (think it's the last crossing we did actually) that was probably top of 33" tyre in depth, but a day or 2 earlier it was bonnet deep according to the local Ranger that was on the drive with us. The rest of the crossings weren't really deep at all, but obviously if it rains around the time you plan to go there that changes, and i doubt you'd want to drive that track if it did look like raining due to how steep it gets in places (though i think the base was fairly gravelly from memory).
AnswerID: 598906

Reply By: cvhq - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 22:03

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 22:03
Was their 3 week ago we when the other way from ubobo whent in from the east to betsey then across razerbackback to cania gorge good drive creek crossings where low lucky to be 20cm deep you will have no troubles give it a go
AnswerID: 598971

Reply By: Genny - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 22:26

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 22:26
Thanks fellas. Tomorrow is the big day then!
AnswerID: 599038

Reply By: Genny - Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 15:45

Sunday, Apr 24, 2016 at 15:45
Well done and dusted! Been there, done that! Won't really race back to do it again, though.
Set off from Biloela about 8.30 am.
Some quite long sections there I'd really hate to meet somebody coming the other way .......
We did meet only two opposing vehicles and both of those were able to pull to the side and let us scramble past.
A couple of very steep climbs where you just plain can't see over the crest to even see where the road goes, let alone if some bugger is there, until you have come over the top.
A couple of bulldust holes on the approach of largish rocks to scramble up and over, on already steep climbs had the wheels scrabbling for purchase.
At least three times, after steep climbs, it flattens out, descends, and I thought "Well that must be it" only to have it climb still further.
Got to the Griffith Creek picnic area and had lunch about 11.30.
Track to the bomber site is very hard-packed.
Did the 4wd circuit past the wall, I have been this way before, about 9 years ago, and I'm sure the route must have change a bit since then, just after the wall. Came to a bank about bonnet height, that looked close to straight up and thought "Not sure I can do this ....", but a cruiser had just gone there, so surely a Pajero could. Climbed it with no fuss at all.
Exited the park at the southern end, turned left to take Cedarvale Road until it was met by Monal Road. Took Monal Road. The longest continuous steep climb of the day was here, I think it must the range that used to be known as "Gentle Annie". Had a look at the Monal Gold Fields, then took Raspberry Creek Road. Captured the sunset from the top a ridge up there. Continued until the intersection with Dooloo Tops Road, followed Dooloo tops until it met Monal road again, onto Mungungo, then Monto getting there at 6.30 pm

I have been from Mungungo to Kroombit tops via Monal/Dooloo Tops/Raspberry Creek/Monal/Cedarvale roads 9 years ago in a Rav 4. The road now is MUCH rougher, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take an AWD now ....

AnswerID: 599089

Sponsored Links