U H F .

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 19:53
ThreadID: 13218 Views:2320 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi there,
i just bought an ICOM uhf radio last week. it's an IC400PRO. the radio works well in the bush which is the reason i got it. when talking on repeater channels, sometimes i can hear others talking but i cant talk to them... unless they are ignoring me. it seems to me that the other people on these channels have better radios more powerfull or a better antenna.... are these true reasons?? icom were good enough to throw an antenna in with the purchase. it works ok in the bush. but i might need a bigger one for around town. the one they gave me is a little flexy thing about 300mm long i dont know if it's 3db or 6db. also my icom has the potential to be tripped up to 25watt. what does that mean??? i'd have to find some special cable and some software to change the setting in the unit. any ideas would great thanx jase.
Back Expand Un-Read 0

Reply By: Big Trev - Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 20:05

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 20:05
Jason, it could be that they are talking on Channles 30 onwards, as these are the same channels as the repeater channels, but without repeater access.

I am no expert though.
AnswerID: 60489

Reply By: Mark- Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 21:33

Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 21:33
Make sure you have the duplex button turned on if this is applicable to your model. Key the mic when the repeater channel is quiet (ie transmit for a couple of seconds without saying anything) and if you are reaching the repeater you will see the RX (receive)light come on and probably hear a beep after you release the TX (transmit) button. By trying all t he repeater channels you can determine which is your closest repeater.

25 watts is the power level that most commercial radios transmit at. You're probably tranmitting at 5 watts now. 25 watts will give you significantly more range but definitly not 5 times as much. Technically, its also also illegal to transmit on CB frequencies at 25 watts. Other radios you are talking to may hear you but you may not hear their reply. It can be useful if you are a long way away from a repeater and the repeater cannot pick you up on 5 watts TX. But before you ajust anything, try the above.
AnswerID: 60510

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:06

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:06
Sounds like they gave you a 3db Rubber Dipole or somthing similar, great little arials and best for around town, big ariels are good for flat ground with line of site, small ones typically are better for around town. You can buy the cable and software for your Icom to programme scanning channels and commercial channels, you can also turn the CB channels 25watt option on. Yes it is illegal but plenty of people do it and if you are a responsible radio operating no one will care, it's only if you are a DH on the radio that people might complain.
But as mentioned in a previous response I would say you problem with repeaters is that you are on Simplex not Duplex. ie you are not transmitting on the repeaters "input" channel.

ie
ch 1 transmit, ch 31 receive
ch 2 transmit, ch 32 receive
ch 3 transmit, ch 33 receive
ch 4 transmit, ch 34 receive
ch 5 transmit, ch 35 receive
ch 6 transmit, ch 36 receive
ch 7 transmit, ch 37 receive
ch 8 transmit, ch 38 receive

When you select ch1 on your radio hit the "dup" or "duplex" button and your radio will automatically jump to the higher channel 31 when you transmit and jump back again to the origional channel to here the response.

Repeater channels are only from 1 through to 8 so you will only want duplex on when using these channels.
Your radio will remeber which ones you've turned it on on and will stay on until you turn it of, ie once you've turned it on on a particular channel you shouldn't need to touch it again.

Hope this helps! The Icom is a brilliant radio, you'll be more than happy.

AnswerID: 60595

Sponsored Links