On road or off road magnets for electric brakes?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 15:21
ThreadID: 132180 Views:3157 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an off road camper and recently replaced the entire hubs, brakes, backing plates etc with 12" Alko.
The brakes came with on road magnets (white wire) .
The question is, what difference is there.
Are off road worth the extra $$$.
I will be doing the Tanami, Gibb etc in June and thought the off road may be better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:02

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 16:02
G'day David,
Most certainly they are worth the money.
I made the mistake of not using them at the start of my big trip & the standard ones fell to bits on the corrugations.
Damaged some of the brake internals so had to replace parts out in the field & used Off road magnets after that with no issues.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 598883

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:22

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2016 at 17:22
Ditto.....you have no choice IMV, for that intended trip - the offroad magnets have special centres designed to take an increased pounding...imagine the life of a magnet in those hubs, on those corrugations...pure hell ! Agree on the entire backing plate kit as a project - once you price HD shoes and offroad magnets, the complete backing plate kits approach good value - did the same on my 4 wheeled van.
AnswerID: 598895

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:50

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:50
H David, as the others have said the centres are different and harder wearing just make sure you ring around for prices . I replaced the backing plate kit on one side of my van and coromals price was $185 the same kit from a trailer parts supplier was $85, they also supply the local coromal dealer. Not a bad mark up.
cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 598937

Sponsored Links