Google Earth and the Kimberley

Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way to enhance GE or GE Pro to give better detail in areas of the Kimberley, or even another website that has great satellite imagery for a detailed look at an area, any ideas??
Does anyone know if Bushtrack Safaris from Derby is still operating? Some years ago we caught up with Rick and Ann who were running the operation and would like to again this year.
Also does anyone know if Imintji will be open to sell diesel on the GRR this year?
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:32

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:32
http://au.nearmap.com/ , you will have to pay though, not sure about resolution in Kimberley area
AnswerID: 598921

Follow Up By: Johnhu - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:41

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:41
nearmaps is nearly all metro coverage, very little outside of that from the info they provide on their website.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/1760599/Pdf/nearmap-AU-coverage.pdf?t=1461128020110

John
FollowupID: 868099

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:59

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 09:59
Hi

Yes Nearmap is all metro and a small number of major regional towns (e.g. Broome). I have a "private use" 1 year subscription ($99) with 50 mb month limit (disappears in a flash) , however this plan has been withdrawn (and not renewed) and only commercial type licenses issued now. Not 100% sure of pricing but the cheapest will be several hundred dollars a year (~$400) AFAIK.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868100

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:05

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:05
-
Yes Greg, I also used Nearmap $99 plan until it expired and was no longer available for renewal. I got a quote for a subscription to suit my purpose and it was close to $1000 per year. I'll live without it!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868119

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:21

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 14:21
Whooly Dooly

My $99 subscription is still going...but only for one more month...haven't got a quote for other options as yet but if its $1,000 they are kidding themselves.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868122

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:09

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:09
Hello Kanga

Google Earth Pro is probably your best option. Based on my experience it provides the most up to date imagery for most ("outback") areas. I have however found Microsoft Virtual Earth/Bing Maps to sometimes be better (depends on area). Can't say if better in the Kimberley but maybe try and see what you think

Virtual Earth 3D

I assume Bushtrack Safaris are still going - well their website is..
Bushtrack Safaris

Maybe give them a ring or flick them an email via their contact page to see what they are up to.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 598922

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:58

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:58
Hi Explorer, I got through to Ann Jane this morning and the actual Safaris are no longer running, but the Bachsten area is :).
Thanks for the other tip, that Virtual 3D site is perfect.
Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 868106

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:57

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 11:57
Hi again

Forgot also to mention that if you have OziExplorer (PC Version) you can access Google Earth and Microsoft Virtual Earth images (and others) from directly within OziExplorer which is handy as you can flick between the two and "normal" topo maps etc - great for trip planning.

How to use the Internet Maps with OziExplorer.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868109

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:25

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:25
Try Landgate http://www0.landgate.wa.gov.au/maps-and-imagery/imagery/aerial-photography/aerial. All of the Kimberley is covered at a nominal photo scale of 1:50,000 which gives a resolution of about 60cm at nadir.

Or you could try one of the suppliers of Digital Globe, Spot, etc satellite imagery. Archive scenes are less expensive

Would be useful to know what you are trying to identify.

John
AnswerID: 598924

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:47

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:47
Hello John

Your link didn't seem to work so have posted another below which takes you to the Landgate "Online aerial photography page"

Landgate Online aerial photography

I use this occasionally (not Kimberley though). A quick look shows imagery in some "outback areas", up there at least, to be from 2007/2008...and resolution doesn't seem to be much better than GE...but certainly another option to look at when researching.

Cheers
Greg.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868105

Follow Up By: Member - J&A&KK - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 20:11

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 20:11
Hi Greg

Thanks for fixing the link. I should have checked it worked.

The Landgate budget for new aerial photography has shrunk year by year ( I used to be MD of the company that had the contract). With 60cm and better satellite imagery available now it's possible Landgate has further reduced its coverage of outback areas. It used the aerial imagery for its update mapping programme as stereoscopic satellite imagery was way more expensive than stereo aerial photography. So it does not surprise me that the resolution they offer is no better than GE and that it's almost 10 years old.

Cheers John
FollowupID: 868151

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 20:24

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 20:24
No worries John

Links can be a bugger sometimes.

Expensive exercise having up to date air photos of everywhere so no surprise they are a tad old. Don't think it matters that much in some area as nothing much would have changed. The Landgate logo all over the screen is however a bit annoying :). Nonetheless, as mentioned still an option to look at.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 868152

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:32

Thursday, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:32
Kanga,

I've done occasional views of Keep River area(now N/Park) on GE and found the resolution to be adequate for what I needed.

In fact, on one occasion recently, I was able to spot the remains of a dinner camp fire we had at Butler's Waterhole, south of the Keep, back in 1970. Can't get much better than that, eh?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598925

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:31

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:31
As far as I know Imintji will not be re-opening, well not in the foreseeable future however Mount Barnett Roadhouse is only 78 kilometres away.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 599041

Sponsored Links