Nissan Terrano radio antenna

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 08:44
ThreadID: 132199 Views:2288 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Help! I have 1999 R20 Terrano, bought at 68,000, now done 227,000. Great car.
Destroyed antenna and base, and as new part quoted at $230 odd, I got second hand from Niss4x4 Melbourne. When I removed roof lining to fit I found replacement was nothing like the original. Original was on metal base and contained a printed circuit which was hard wired to vehicle. Replacement was lighter, more basic with no circuit and hard to see where to attach any wires. Dealer says part supplied was correct (said is same as some other model - I think Navarra) and mine a bodgie.
I do not believe this but dealer adamant. Has anyone replaced, and/or has knowledge?
Thanks, Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hoyks - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 13:34

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 13:34
I had one too, best car I have owned. 277000km on mine when I sold it, I'm still sorry I did.

That is the radio antenna above the cargo area?
I have replaced mine years ago with a generic one I bought at the local auto parts place. The weather seal under it had failed, and I can't remember if I just replaced the seal or the whole antenna base. It was a long time ago (12 years), so my recollection isn't 100%.
What I do remember though is some of the research I put into it before getting the parts. Bosch make a number of antenna bases, a lot look alike on the outside but vary greatly on the inside. Some vehicle models sold OS have GPS, phone and radio all running through the 1 antenna with multiple connections available to the antenna base, but not all are connected.
It is possible that your antenna is configured for a bunch of options we didn't get on our Terrano II's, so the old antenna has bits that are surplus to requirements.
I'd stick the new one in and see if it works, if it doesn't, then take it back and tell the spare parts guy where he can stick it. If he complains, quote Australian Consumer Law in regards to being 'fit for purpose'. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and they have to give you your $$ back, even if you have installed it. How else are you going to find out if it works or not?
AnswerID: 599013

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:15

Friday, Apr 22, 2016 at 23:15
Mine was the best vehicle that I have owned too, it clicked over to 400,000km the day I sold it!
I think the printed circuit is a signal amplifier.

FollowupID: 868236

Follow Up By: Mike44 - Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:23

Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:23
Thanks Hoyks and Shaker. Shaker, I know you go right back with Terranos. This is my second - had a type one previously.
Hoyks, yes it is above the cargo area. Understandable you dont recall details after 12 years but I wonder if you just replaced the antenna and not the base. If you replaced the base you would have had to drop roof lining, as I have done. I understand that there are generic antennas but the base on my car has a moulded in electric cable going ( I assume) to a connector further inside the roof lining. I am going to drop lining again today and confirm there is such a connector. The one I was supplied (have returned) had no cable attached so I would have had to take apart the moulded cable to the antenna base and attach that - if I could work out how.
See if I can remove the whole deal including the cable today. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 868254

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:56

Saturday, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:56
Not familiar with the Terrano's , Mike, but you might check out the Aerpro site. They have listings for a multitude of car AM/FM aerials, but sadly, I didn't see any for your model.

But might be worth a look? Aerpro Products

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 599056

Sponsored Links