Plenty Highway

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1322 Views:1554 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All - traveling from Boulia to Alice Springs in early July . Can anyone tell me what the Donohue & Plenty Highways are currently like? Thanks Heaps - Pat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greg - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00
Pat if you have a 4wd and even towing a trailer the Plenty is generally no problem. Don'y believe the horror stories you hear about most outback roads as all the commonly known routes are generaly reasonable most of the time. The definition of reasonable is different for most of us. These roads should only be driven at a max of 80kph and slow down for the rough bits. Most people have problems because they are travelling too fast. You will find most northern outback roads often are at their roughest (corrugated) late in the dry season. The wet season can cause bad washouts and ruts but these are often removed by the graders early in the dry. 2 days for the plenty is more than adequate. It can be done in a long day.
AnswerID: 4243

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

That's good advice. We saw a Japanese tourist in a small Japanese hire car get serious air as he crossed a floodway on the Plenty at what looked like about 150kph. He had a smile on his face. I doubt the hire car mob would have smiled though.
FollowupID: 1834

Reply By: Pat - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for that Greg. I should have mention that we are in 4wd's and there are two of us traveling together. Planning to do Boulia - Alice over two days with an overnight stop probably at Jervois but we're open to suggestions.
AnswerID: 4248

Reply By: MARK C - Tuesday, Jun 18, 2002 at 00:00

Pat, if you appreciate real outback scenery,ancient geology and an abundance of wildlife, you will absolutely love the Plenty h'way.We gave up counting the number of Brolgas and Bustards we encountered last trip . We stayed at Jervois the only problem was a lack of wood so collect firewood as you go, we also stayed at the gemtree on the other end of the Plenty which is a fabulous camp , very well run by some great people.
AnswerID: 4250

Reply By: Ruth - Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 26, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Pat, today's report on the Plenty and Donohue is:
Donohue has been graded to the border and the Plenty has not and good long patches of bull dust - which you can get around. Shouldn't be a problem if you read the conditions. Hope you have a great trip. Of course, it could rain and they might be able to grade the rest of the road, but I believe ran is out of the question. Happy travels.
AnswerID: 4434

Follow Up By: Pat - Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 28, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Ruth, Thanks for that. We'll be travelling out that way next week end and the chance of rain before then is pretty slim. This is our first trip out so I hope I can read the conditions. We'll just take it steady and see how we go.
See Ya
Pat
FollowupID: 1911

Sponsored Links