4wd touring

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:49
ThreadID: 132226 Views:2513 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hey everyone just wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on mcc rear bar twin wheel carrier for my gq what they are like can't justify spending 4 k on a arb tjm kmar bar planning a Simpson trip later this year also im considering a 80ltr belly tank already have a 147 ltr long range tank but was not too keen on loading up my roof cage with Jerry's some people think thats excessive carrying 230lt of fuel onboard im running a td42 patrol any feedback on both my questions would be much appreciated thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 14:00

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 14:00
Put all that on and you will have to carry your lunch in a trailer LOL
AnswerID: 599144

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 14:19

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 14:19
With 147lt of fuel std Nick, I would just put a couple of 20lt jerries on board and you should be more than fine.

Assuming you are doing a normal crossing Mt Dare to Birdsville or vice versa and not bypassing either of those, or doing a longer route using multiple tracks, or going through north Simpson.

Have you done any dunes / sand driving previously to give you an idea of lt/100km you normally use for such terrain ?

If your 5 tyres are good, I wouldn't worry a 2nd spare for a regular crossing, take a tyre plug kit for sure, and a spare tube is worthwhile if you have tyre levers / skills to get it into a gashed tyre.

So what's the plan / route you have in mind ?
Doing it with another 4wd (or more) for company / safety ?
AnswerID: 599146

Reply By: 671 - Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:01

Monday, Apr 25, 2016 at 21:01
There is only so much weight that you can put into a car before something breaks, particularly on Outback roads or tracks. If you break an axle housing or crack your chassis out there, you won't be the first to do it. If you ask Nissan, the company that is not a dealer, there is a good chance they will tell you to reduce the load on the car in those conditions, not take it to the maximum or beyond.

As Les said,have you worked out your fuel consumption in those conditions? The only sand hills that I have taken my current car over (diesel Hilux) were on the Sandy Blight Junction Road. The fuel consumption between Kintore at the northern end and Giles weather station was lower than what I consistently get around the suburbs at home or on freeways. The reason for that was there was next to no speed involved for the entire distance therefore no wind drag. It is air drag that kills 4x4 fuel consumption. They all have the aerodynamics of a brick.

In those remote areas two spares can be handy but they are no guarantee that you will get through. I only carry one in remote conditions and remove the tow bar to save weight but I always include a couple of tubes and enough patches etc, to fix anything up to 50 to 60 mm tears in the sidewalls. Not all punctures in the bush are that big but many people have got them. In some cases the same piece of tree root or whatever have punctured a front and rear tyre at the same time.

There is some excellent remote area tyre information here. If you click on the tyre repair demonstration link on the top of the page you will see a damaged tyre slide show.
tyre info
AnswerID: 599164

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 00:10

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 00:10
G'day Nicholas S,

we've had a Powerful 4x4 rear bar on for 6 years now. It's one of their first series that have been improved since then.
Ours has been great. We load it up . It's been to three quarters of the country the hard way and still going strong (touch wood).

Steve
AnswerID: 599173

Reply By: Batt's - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 13:39

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2016 at 13:39
Personally if you plan on doing long distance trips in the future I would go for the belly tank to keep the weight down low and towards the front a bit which will be good for the rear springs if you fit a wheel carrier also sounds like the same size fuel tank I have in my GQ.
MCC wheel carrier I don't need one spare sits on the tray but I've heard some good reports and some negative ones mainly just spot rust which can be easily touched up and it's cheaper than a $4,000 piece of steel that supports a couple of spare wheels.
AnswerID: 599182

Reply By: David G30 - Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 15:40

Friday, Jun 24, 2016 at 15:40
I hope you haven't purchased the MCC rear bar yet. It may be worth checking this out.
http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/ozbar-or-mcc-rear-bar.38405/page-2#post-507967
AnswerID: 601793

Sponsored Links