Short wave Radio

Submitted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 21:08
ThreadID: 13225 Views:1695 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're thinking of buying a portable radio.
It will preferably have AM, FM and enough short wave bands to enable us to listen to Radio Australia, BBC and any other isimilar broadcasts that come our way.
Some ham bands would be a bonus but are not essential.
Power would be from batteries, but 12v would help.
Does anybody own a radio such as this?
If so, what make and model is it and are you happy with it?

Cheers,
Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sean - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 08:16

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 08:16
I have a sony multiband that is quite small and works very well. My mate has a tandy/dick smith unit (I think sangean) that also works very well and I think the sony is actually no better.

They do come in handy in very remote places and provide some interesting listening if you have the patience to scan all the frequencies.

Sean
AnswerID: 60554

Reply By: Hoffy - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 10:31

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 10:31
Trevor, have a look at some of the radios in the Sangean range. Most of them have digital read out and some of them have the capability of listening to hams using the SSB mode. Performance is quite good from the built in whip antenna but much better if you chose a model that can accept a small external antenna. I have had one for several years now and am more than happy with its performance, while not as good as that of a proper communications receiver they are not too bad. I am sorry I do not know the current model range but I think Tricky Dicky stores still sell them. Just do a bit of hunting around. The model I have has provision for external power form a plug pack but if you want to run it from 12 volts get a voltage reducer from 12 volt to that required for the radio.
Keith
AnswerID: 60577

Reply By: Rod - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 15:55

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 15:55
If you can afford it, get one with a digital tuner. The cheaper ones with the winding tuner will move off frequency too easily. Sangean have a good reputation.
AnswerID: 60641

Sponsored Links