Gunbarrel Highway - Warburton to Wiluna April 2016

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2016 at 11:57
ThreadID: 132295 Views:3304 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Warburton - If you intend overnighting get there early and hide your unleaded or get it secured in the roadhouse cage. The camping area is secured by a solid fence with an inner wire fence. Guard dogs do patrol between the fences
Heather Highway very corrugated
Gunbarrel Highway to Geraldton Bore - Not to bad but still slow going we had no punctures but take care on the rocky sections. Average distance travelled was 20km per hour
Geraldton Bore to Carnegie Station - Wiluna Shire has done a great job grading the track.
Carnegie Station - We stopped fo rtwo nights over ANZAC Day and had a great time with the station crew. Very basic and BYO. They cooked us up a great evening meal and showed us around the station.
Carnegie to Wiluna - The road is in great condition with only the occasional washed out floodway. Watch out for cattle and camels
Wiluna - The town has gone even further downhill. The pub is barely standing and the caravan park has all but disappeared. Fuel and victuals only. We spent the night at North Pool.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 12:35

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 12:35
What do you mean by the paragraph about "hide your leaded"?

I assume you mean a battery.

Phil

Edit: Our car is diesel and I didn't think of fuel. It makes sense when you think of petrol.
AnswerID: 599434

Follow Up By: Member - nosey_bastid - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 13:31

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 13:31
If you carry any petrol other than opal, even 2 stroke mix for your generator the locals will suss it and make every attempt to steal it.
FollowupID: 868656

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 15:00

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 15:00
I know that and that is why it made sense when I added the word you forgot, namely "petrol". I had just read a post about extra batteries and the mind was in the wrong mode.

I am just as bad myself. I forget to read my post sometimes and check that it is correct before submitting my words, Just getting lazy in my senior years.

Cheers mate.

Phil
FollowupID: 868664

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 07:44

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 07:44
Well it does say 'unleaded' and not leaded...
FollowupID: 868683

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 08:22

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 08:22
Feel better now Malcom. I had already said that I make similar mistakes.
FollowupID: 868684

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 13:54

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 13:54
Gunbarel Grapes or Travelers Rest 20 ks E of Wiluna used to be a great place to stay . You have to ring them ahead or from Wiluna to let them meet you . It was well worth the drive out there & back than staying in Wiluna or North Pool.
That was about 10 yrs. ago.( Sort of caravan Park) Lovely place, lovely people & good facilities..Much better than Wiluna C.P was even back then.

The caravan Park was behind the pub & subject to a bad night's sleep at Wiluna.

North Pool was beautiful, sometimes a lot of of rubbish around. Being within reach of town, a hoon hangout. We just visited North Pool for morning tea after staying out at Travelers rest for the night & proceeded onto The Canning Stock Route .
You can still find Gunbarel Grapes Travelers Rest. on Google.
So sad to here about the further deterioration.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 599469

Sponsored Links