4.5kg gas bottle on A-Frame

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2016 at 21:10
ThreadID: 132298 Views:4436 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
I'm after some feedback from anyone who has gas bottles mounted on the A-frame of a camper or caravan. The specific situation is this... A piece of 50mm square galvanised steel tube is welded/bolted across the A-frame behind the stone shield. The gas bottle holder is then welded to this. The gas bottle then only sits on the piece of 50mm tube.

Does anyone have a setup like this? How does it go over rough roads/corrugations etc. I guess I'm a bit wary that the gas bottle is not sitting on much and constant shaking could break welds etc. Would it be better off mounted to a tray between the arms of the A-frame.

All advice welcome - thanks
Kevin
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 22:03

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 22:03
A 25mm long 6mm weld is engineered to take a tonne (1T) of weight
Its coming down to the rhs wall thickness and bracket design.

If the rhs was 3mm wall
it will be fine
all depends on the bracket setup to the rhs
AnswerID: 599450

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2016 at 23:00

Monday, May 02, 2016 at 23:00
I have two bottles mounted on the A frame of my CT but they are on two RHS welded to the A Frame - been there 9 years over all kinds of tracks and they haven't moved. In your case I'm puzzled as to why only one square tube is used and the bottle holder is fixed to that - this doesn't sound stable to me.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 599453

Follow Up By: Member - RUK42 (QLD) - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 08:24

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 08:24
My thinking exactly Phil. 4.5kg gas bottle perched on 2" wide bit of steel seemed odd but I could be worried about nothing.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 868685

Follow Up By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 09:50

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 09:50
On the front of our aluminium 'A' frame we have a rectangular section (50x25) welded across. Aluminium welds are far more likely to fatigue and crack than steel welds. Sitting on this single section is a 20kg water jerry and an 8.5kg gas bottle. The camper is 13 years old and was full of red dust when we bought it because the previous owner had been to Katherine and Darwin over every conceivable dirt road it seemed. He'd shaken the 3-way fridge to bits! We've taken it on lots of dirt roads and did the Flinders Ranges a couple of years ago. The 'A' frame welds are perfect and the gas botle and jerry haven't moved.
IMHO, you'll be fine!
FollowupID: 868687

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 12:16

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 12:16
We have one 50x25 welded across the a- frame on our van, it originally held 2 8.5kg bottles for 7 yrs,last year I took the big bottles off and fitted 2 4.5 frames.to the rhs with roofing screws and carried 2 small bottles. Most of our travels have been on rough roads. Innamincka x2,Haddon cnr, Simpson desert via mt dare,Finke,etc.,the bottles never moved at all,
AnswerID: 599464

Reply By: Erad - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 16:59

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 16:59
In 1999, we ordered a Jayco Poptop van. I asked for the drawbar to be made 150 mm shorter (to fit in our shed). They made it 200 mm shorter. No problems, says me and hooks the van up to take it home. Full lock turn in the sales yard, and CLANG! The bumper bar of my Range Rover hit the gas bottle, which was mounted on top of the R side drawbar beam (by a welded-on 50 x 50 angle iron lug). When I got home, I had to make up a cradle which now sits in between the drawbar angle, and the 9 kg gas bottle sits on it. I screwed the cradle to the drawbar with Tek screws roughly in the centre of the drawbar sidewall (not on the top flange, which is a stressed areas. The cradle is made from 20 x 20 x 2.5 mm RHS and neither it or the gas bottle have ever moved since fitting it there.
AnswerID: 599479

Sponsored Links