What's W Qld like at the moment for a 14d quick tour?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 08:29
ThreadID: 132299 Views:2345 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.
I have a friend returning to live overseas and wanted to give them a small sample of some 'outback' country before they leave.
Problem is we only have 14 days and are based near Port Macquarie NSW.
I was considering a loop up through St George then maybe Birdsville or Cameron's Corner then motor back along the tar home.
I was wondering how bad the drought has hit these areas and whether any informed suggestions might be available.
This is not my usual style of travel, normally hate just overnight stops after long day drives but that's all the time we have.
Fully self sufficient and prefer bush camping with maybe a camping site/pub thrown it for the amenities.
many thanks.
Michael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Evan 1 - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:00

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:00
Gday Workhorse,
Literally just home from western qld about an hour ago........god i love it out there!!!
The drought has hit hard no doubt about it but there are also pockets of resilience out there where you think nothing could survive but in fact are doing well (to my novice eye). Tourism is a major focus for some places and you can really see the efforts made to welcome us tourists.
If you are not afraid of a dirt road the i highly recommend Yaraka for at least two nights. The pub is fantastic and the hosts Chris & Gerry literally greet you at the door with a handshake and intro to everyone in the pub at that time. Mount Slocum is a gem of a lookout into country that is extraordinary, it is so stunning around that place. The dirt roads are pretty good and can take you to blackall, isisford, windorah, jundah or quilpie so no excuse really not to go there.
I must add that i thought it still looked beautiful out that way but i think i am biased.
Enjoy your trip
Cheers
Evan
AnswerID: 599480

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 17:04
Another vote for the Jundah region and take in Welford National Park. I like this park as it is quite diverse and will be a touch closer...

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 868705

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 22:10

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 at 22:10
Another big fan of west Qld!
St George (ahh...the burgers at Nindigully pub!), Birdsville and Cameron Corner (oh yes), Jundah etc.
Look, wherever you meander you'll find amazing stuff.
Towns with teeny populations.
History ("wow-so that's where Burke and Wills camped!").
Towns with such limited facilities compared to suburbia (you will enjoy your beautiful salad roll at the Birdsville Bakery twice as much when you read Evan McHugh's book "Birdsville" where he describes what they have to do to do their grocery shopping!).
The drought has been going on for a few years. So many dead roos at the roadside at dawn/dusk-drive with care at any time to be honest!
Take your tourism dollar out there and spread the love.
Different stops each night will be soon forgotten when you find yourself in the midst of stuff that you wouldn't have dreamed of in Port Macquarie!
Just look at the map and google the next town's name...does it sound interesting enough? Yes? Well, be adventurous and head up that road!
Running out of time because you decided to turn down that road that the old bloke in the pub mentioned? Never mind...it was all fun!
Enjoy!
:)
AnswerID: 599491

Sponsored Links