Internet Cafes

Submitted: Friday, May 28, 2004 at 08:03
ThreadID: 13231 Views:1267 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What's the general consensus of opinion as to security issues if using an internet cafe for accessing on line banking etc. I have heard stories of back tracking key strokes and so on.

Is this a real issue or just an urban myth? Am I being paranoid? Hey.. who's that out there ... come on show yourself !!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob! - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:53

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:53
Rosco,

I've used internet cafes to do my banking all over the world, from London to Mexico, India, Cambodia. Never had a problem.

However, you can never be 100% sure. I think there are programs that can record your keystrokes (ie passwords), but then someone can record your keystrokes via the internet off your home computer as well.

I guess it's a bit like home security. If someone really wants to break in, they will. No matter what you do.

So just pick a quality internet cafe and hope for the best.

Good luck.

R.

AnswerID: 60566

Follow Up By: GaryW - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:57

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:57
I don't agree with Rob's comment. Key strokes can only be read over the internet if the computer has allows a program to do it. Provided you have good firewall and virus protection your home computer should be fine. An internet café however is another story. I would not trust an internet café to be secure.

Gaz.
FollowupID: 322183

Reply By: Member - Ian M (QLD) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:56

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 09:56
Rosco,
There is no way you can know and or trust the security ie AV or Firewall, status of Microsoft updates on an Internet cafe system.
On line banking or any other transaction that has sensitive data (eg purchasing on line) should be absolutely avoided.
The baddie is unlikely to be the Internet cafe owner but someone accessing their systems from outside. Of course if you ask any cafe will say they are 100% OK but I would not take the risk. But having said that some people do banking from home without uptodate anti-virus, Microsoft updates or firewalls on their system.

IAN
AnswerID: 60567

Reply By: Ian(Qld) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:27

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:27
Hi Rosco,

If you are really paranoid, check 3 things:
1. In Internet Explorer go to tools, windows update and see how many security MBs are required to update the system you are on. If its 60 odd MB then it has not had security updates. If there a couple of updates to download, its probably OK.
2. Check to see that it is firewalled. In XP, control panel, network connections - check the connection indicates it is firewalled.
3. Look in programs and see if the system has an anti-virus software.

I can't imagine a commercial Internet cafe getting its rocks off phishing! They are a static target.

Hope that assists.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 60587

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:28

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 11:28
Rosco me lad,

Just carry some cash in an old pillow case. Store it under the seat. No worries with banking then. You would have tyo be very unlucky for someone to steal the Landie...hahahahahahaha

Cheers

AnswerID: 60588

Reply By: Rob! - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 14:30

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 14:30
Rosco,

I don't think I explained myself well before.

There can be huge risks involved, but you have to make the ultimate decision whether that should stop you from living your life, and travelling to where you want to go.

R.
AnswerID: 60621

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 16:52

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 16:52
If you don't trust the internet cafe use phone banking same end result
AnswerID: 60652

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 18:35

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 18:35
Rosco, have acessed details in France, Holland, Ireland, US, the UK, France and Spain. Many of the systems reboot after purging the history but I have also purged history too to make sure the local contacts are not held on to.

In South Australia many of the Tourist Information services have acess at no cost and quite fast too.
AnswerID: 60679

Reply By: John - Friday, May 28, 2004 at 19:53

Friday, May 28, 2004 at 19:53
I don't trust the Cafes enogh to do secure transactions on their computers.
Just used cafes to check home email whilst travelling around OZ last 2 years
I also purge the cache and history before logging out from session
Cheeers
john
AnswerID: 60693

Sponsored Links