Fraser Island Drive times

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:59
ThreadID: 132387 Views:4605 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Just after some feedback on this. Have an opportunity to go to Fraser (Orchid Beach) with a few mates next month. The trip up will be leisurely (he is taking a boat), and I am in a 200 series Cruiser - not towing. Problem is I only have a 3 day "Leave Pass". Low tide on the day I need to leave is at 2.47 pm (Waddy Point). Pending no delays....What sort of travel time would you allow from Orchid Beach to Inskip Point barge. I see the last barge leaves at around 5.30 pm. Thanks for your comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 15:43

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 15:43
Simon
It is very hard to estimate the travelling times without knowing what the conditions are at the time, but I would suggest that you be on the road by 13.00 hrs to give some leeway, but even this could be a bit tight if you have to use the old mining track from Dilli Village to Hook Point (do NOT attempt to drive this track at speed, there have been a number of fatal incidents on this track).

Enjoy Fraser Island, you will want to return, a full week is not enough to see the island.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 599914

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 18:00

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 18:00
Been a while, but you are looking at about an hour and 3/4 drive not towing anything to get from Orchid to Inskip via Hook Point from memory, and that's in ideal conditions sitting on the speed limit the whole way. Think it's a 45 minute drive from Eurong to the barge from memory.
AnswerID: 599922

Reply By: geo22 - Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 18:00

Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 18:00
The track from Orchid Beach to the main eastern beach can be quite cut up, rough & slow going so could take 20-30 mins. Sounds like the tides are OK for the run down to Hook Point but you will be travelling down 75 Mile Beach so that tells you it's a long way!
If the beach is in good nick you can sit on the 80 kph limit on the hard sand for a good part of the way but you will need to slow down for creek crossings & gutters where water runs across the beach so keep a lookout & be careful.
You'll get a good idea of beach conditions on the run up to Orchid so base your timing on that. Remember that this time of year the light begins to fade early so consider that as well.
By leaving after lunch around 1.30-2 pm should see you at the barge before dark all going well.

Enjoy yourself!
AnswerID: 599923

Reply By: gbc - Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:28

Friday, May 13, 2016 at 08:28
Travelling with the boat on the way out? Add an hour at least. School hols? Add another one.
You'll get a feel for it on the way up, but a couple of clowns stuck at Indian can add time real quick. Start getting the boat stuck and time will run away. When it was bad we would bring the boats through the tracks and down past Indian the day before so we had less variables to worry about.
AnswerID: 599951

Sponsored Links