Sigmund's Stoppans :-)

Submitted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 16:12
ThreadID: 132410 Views:2384 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On our first trip outback a Tibooburra local shared some advice: You can get anywhere in this country if you're prepared to stop.

It's kinda Irish logic and none the worse for that.

It was proved true on our current trip when we got stymied by the rains in Central Australia. We were 30 kms short of our destination and rather than risk getting stuck in the middle of a long pond up to the sills, with no prospect of local help, we decided to pull off the road and sit it out - took 2 days. That provided some reflection time and I came up with a few Sigmund's 'Stoppans'.

Stoppan look.
Stoppan think.
Stoppan wait, if necessary.

What would you add?
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 16:32

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 16:32
Stoppan "Smell the flowers"
AnswerID: 600046

Follow Up By: Member - John T (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 17:56

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 17:56
Stoppan "have a cuppa"
Stoppan and take pic's
Stoppan let some air out
Stoppan an re inflate

Cheers
John T (Lifetime Member)
VKS-737 Mobile 2619
Selcall 2619
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours" - Richard Bach in "Illusions"

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 869372

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 16:45

Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 16:45
We pulled up this morning 200k from the nearest help when I saw a Benz Sprinter cargo van with the bonnet up. Went back and the van had just stopped with the fuel light on. It didn't take long to find the problem but fixing it took a little time. He said are you a diesel mechanic and I said no, just someone who has spent many years around the smelly buggers.

The gentleman from Coober Pedy was that thankful he gave us his card and said, come see me. I will give you a nice opal and show you round my mines.

We won't accept the opal but we will go see him and his mines. I really appreciate someone who actually thanks you for stopping and offering assistance.

Sigmund I have spent quite a few reflective hours contemplating how I tried to get through and didn't make it.

As Slim sang. "I've been bogged out in the donger, pulled down by suction mud
Where swampland bred mosquitoes drained a billy can of blood
Worn out a post hole shovel then put my mouth in gear
Pulled it back to neutral just in case the Lord should hear"

AnswerID: 600047

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:55

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:55
Stoppan let the wife use the restroom facilities of the servo or little park while she has the chance, for the next comfort stop may be roadside and it's ok for you blokes...!
;)
AnswerID: 600083

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, May 20, 2016 at 19:06

Friday, May 20, 2016 at 19:06
When the Yanks joined forces with the Brits in N Africa during WWII they were astonished to see their allies stop morning and arvo for a brew up.

That's something I've learned the value of too. It's too easy to lose concentration on long day's drives and the break restores it. Black tea, no sugar, with a few Ginger Nuts dunked in it for good measure.
AnswerID: 600360

Sponsored Links