Places to a avoid... Central qld and Northern Territory.

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 16:15
ThreadID: 132422 Views:5748 Replies:13 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi travellers,

As some have probably read, I'm heading out west for 4weeks with my family. We are heading to Uluru via donohuge and plenty highway. On the way back we are going via tenant creek and mt isa.

So question is anywhere to not stop/camp or visit? A few folks around here have mentioned not to stop in certain places. Feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 16:43

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 16:43
Where are you travelling from? What places where not to stop have been mentioned and why.
We have done that route and don't know of any places not to stop.
AnswerID: 600099

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:19

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:19
Hi Rod
Why not to stop in some places is because of the locals
FollowupID: 869404

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:26

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:26
But which places, Stuart?
FollowupID: 869406

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:54

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 18:54
Hi Rod
I have travelled a fair bit in Qld the last 2 yrs and i can tell you some places i would not walk around or feel safe without Gunny.One place i was advised by the police being Aurukun ,100 k south of Weipa even with him dont go.
The last 2 times i have stayed at Mt Isa has been at the caravan park opposite the Overlander Hotel and the locals are shocking.The pub closes at 2 am and then the locals start with there antics.The caravan park last year hired a security guard to stay at the front gate not to let the locals in to steal or damage what ever.Three times per week you would be woken in the middle of the night with them fighting or yelling and screaming or just smashing bottles or what ever.That is not the sort of place you would stay at with a young family.In saying that the people at the park are great and do there best to keep everybody happy and safe.I could explain other experiences in out back QLD or NT but if you have travelled you will know what the locals are like.
Bye
Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 869411

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:43

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:43
Aurukun been on news of late .I stayed in cabin on outskirts of Mt.Isa quiet cheap and big enough for family ..
FollowupID: 869427

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:59

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:59
Hi LAZYLUX.
Why has Aurukun been on the news?Mt Isa is a brilliant place with lots to see and do and the people are very friendly and helpful.
Cheers
Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 869431

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:52

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:52
Aurukun (Cape York) has been in the news because some of the local teenagers threatened to beat up the school teachers in the community, and all the teachers had to be evacuated for their own safety.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 869450

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 20:21

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 20:21
Wow. I must've always managed to stay in the good spots during our travels over these roads during the past few years because I have none to warn you of...
But then again we didn't stay in Mt Isa, no.
Oh yes...we once stayed in a pretty little central Qld town (I won't name them) that was gorgeous in the daylight and then we discovered that the trains came behind the caravan park at all hours at night (you could hear them coming for miles and miles!) and the road trains came along the road out the front all night (you could hear them coming for miles and miles too!)
My advice...check your map to see if you are between a railway line and major highway!!!
:)
AnswerID: 600110

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:05

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:05
Hi Robyn
Please dont think Mt Isa is a place to give a miss.Mt Isa is a great place with plenty to see and do.The town is a great place and the people at the caravan parks are fantastic.Like all places in the out back you will have a section where the locals live.My advice is stay away from that area but the rest of the town is safe and great.
Bye
Stuart and Gunny
FollowupID: 869422

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn R4 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:44

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:44
Sorry Stuart and Mt Isa folk! We did stop in the Isa during the day (but we were on our way back home to work and we had to push on. I have a mate who works there. I hope I didn't sound like I was dismissing the town.
(That's why I didn't name the town with the train line and road trains-I don't like to ruin anyone's tourism potential!)
As a former Newcastle resident the Isa reminded me very much of the northern approach to Newcastle (from Stockton)
Encountering rowdy people can happen anywhere. Our only bad experiences have been at a caravan park in Broome and serviced apartments in Darwin...neither disturbance was by locals but 'exuberant' tourists. In both cases we cursed that we hadn't asked at check-in for details of what number to call during the night if there was a problem! You can betcha that we do now!!
:)

FollowupID: 869428

Reply By: eaglefree - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:05

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:05
We've just travelled from sunshine coast to Darwin.

Memorable stops were Chinchilla weir, Morven and Blackall. But that highway...bring sea sick pills lol
AnswerID: 600113

Reply By: marty d - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:17

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:17
Hi , don't know about everybody else's thoughts but , every couple of years I visit places like the Alice , Katherine ,Tennant Creek ,Derby and Kal etc. Over time communications have improved out of sight ,same for roads and many more refuelling stops ,add to that the capabilities of Campertrailers ,Caravans and 4wd's those side of things are daylight ahead of what they were. Most country towns are still very friendly but with a lot less younger folk living there ,for whatever reason places like Katherine,Tennant Creek and host of others seem to have more and more homless ,itinerant tribal people living in them , no jobs little future prospects and unfortunately often in the grip of alcoholism . I have never been accosted or even seen anybody badly treated in these towns , but with it seems yearly more and more of these poor fella's roaming about some tourists get nervous,then spread the tales of places to avoid ,im sure isolated incidences do happen , but I reckon less so than in the big towns/cities , so how about we give the outback people a go and only repeet what we know to be fact , cheers.
AnswerID: 600115

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:50

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 21:50
Agree marty d ,I got told about Aboriginal community in WA being very bad place before I went to work there.I ended up with local girl.I was welcomed into family and shown all the beautiful places around their community.I also lived in Alice Springs and worked in accommodation for done and outs .I found that if you are polite and respectful should have no hassles ..
FollowupID: 869430

Reply By: Peter & Carol H - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:20

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:20
Just spent a couple of days at Tenant Creek approx. three weeks ago. Use your common sense and you will have no problems. I understand that all bottle shops now are required to have a police presence whenever they are open. This approach, I believe, is also now policy in other centres such as Katherine. If you are unsure or uncertain check with the police, they are there to help and advise of which areas are perhaps best avoided at certain times. Incidentally, we had a fridge problem which was fixed at Tenant Creek by a very obliging local who came to the Caravan park and dealt with the problem on the spot
So far, the only place we have had any problems is Broome, where the local humbuggers are gearing up for the holiday season. Smile, be firm, get out there and get on with it! Enjoy your trip - there are a lot of experiences out there to be had.

Written from our campsite under the stars on the way to Port Hedland. Absolutely amazing just where you can find internet coverage these days!
AnswerID: 600123

Follow Up By: Member - larsy - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:34

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:34
Well said!! thank you!
FollowupID: 869434

Reply By: Member - larsy - Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:33

Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 22:33
Hi all!
Great conversations, I didn't mean any pun at all to anyone. I am a big believer in common respect and understanding, I have travelled a lot of outback areas, as I was born in central Qld. I guess I am more cautious now that I have little ones in toe. By the comments and discussions, it's like anywhere else, ie. Cities/towns no matter where you go there is situations that occur.

A good story is, I will keep it short, I was camping with my family in a national park, and one night a group of 3 men pitched next to us, and decided to have a smoke session and play with different types of fire sticks. At about 1am they got rowdy, I managed to asked them to cool it, and surprisingly they were quite understanding... I think they thought I may have been a fairy or something... "Joke".

So thanks again everyone, I will take it easy and enjoy the trip, I reckon the best bet is if we are uncomfortable we just pack up and move on. We are all excited to go! And if you find us on your travels feel free to join us for a cuppa!
AnswerID: 600125

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:21

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 10:21
Where ya goin larsy and any advice traveling with kids.I only got 1 boy nearly 6.His Teacher told us it was better he out of school traveling and that he would learn more.Maybe he was trouble maker in class she happy to see him go ha ha ha .He actually is pretty humble kid and all the girls wanted to hug him on his last day in class...We are leaving from Adelaide going North then from Alice across to WA then across to Darwin then across to Qld well thats the plan ...
FollowupID: 869447

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 08:15

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 08:15
Chuckling to myself I couldn’t help but think you might just as well stay at home!

All places seem to have good and bad elements to them these days. Our major cities are probably the places that truly bring out the best and worst in people. Whilst always willing to listen to other people’s advice we have found that in many cases it wasn’t warranted and had we not visited we would have been poorer for it.

As someone said, just use common sense and always be alert – but apart from that, just get out there and enjoy our great country, above all else, look for the best in a place – not the worst…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 600133

Follow Up By: Member - larsy - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 08:42

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 08:42
Hey baz, couldn't agree more.
I started this thread just too see people thoughts/experiences. Ultimately I will make my own with my family. My belief is that out in the world children learn the best and that's what I want my children to learn, as I did. I asked the question out is curiosity, I feel as Though i should of mentioned that, however it has made for interesting conversation now. As u said, look for the best! And that's what we will do.
Cheers
Thanks for the comments. :)
FollowupID: 869442

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 12:53

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 12:53
There are places that are best avoided at certain times of the month out north and west just as there are places to avoid in the city on a Friday or Saturday night , pension day/night - royalty pay day in some communities [even though technically dry] can become a little intense [for want of a better word]…..
AnswerID: 600146

Reply By: eaglefree - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 13:17

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 13:17
We as a couple haven't had a lot if contact with indigenous peoples. We are from ventral Vic originally from Melbourne

Last week we were at Barkly Homestead. In the store there was a young family. Indigenous mum dad and the cutest little 4yo boy I'd ever seen. I joked with the parents that I'd love to take him home with me as he was such a cute little fellow. After they made their purchase the mother turned to me, placed her hand on my elbow and said "thankyou, it means a lot".

In contrast while at MtIsa merely walking past maccas the dozens of indigenous people we felt not threatened but unwelcomed as a few deliberately blocked our path. This was uncomfortable but as soon as I joked with one of them they were fine.

Low income indigenous people watching seemingly well off middle and older aged " well off" travellers by the thousands heading north or south would seem like an invasion.

Let's try to bridge the gap with small tokens of respect.My 2c worth
AnswerID: 600148

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 20:26

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 20:26
Nice to hear your experience .I was confronted by Aboriginal Community after driving some 2500kms from Mt Gambier.It was my 1st ever time.That was a community that was supposed to be worst in Australia..I ended up in relationship with Aboriginal lady.Best experience of my life to live with her family.They are just content and live for the moment .Very sharing and caring.Unfortunately white mans bad habits have infiltrated their culture.
One thing that stood out for me was they do not judge or see colour in.people and believe we are all one race....we have a lot to learn from Anoriginals ..
FollowupID: 869473

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 14:51

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 14:51
I too have not found places to dodge. As said above you are safe in the roughest of places if you are respectful towards the locals.

However many places have areas that are no go after dark. Just keep out of those places and if you feel that the whole town is unsavoury after dark then retreat to your van for the night. When visiting those towns do not free camp, select a caravan park that looks to have good security. Do not free camp within 20 - 30 km of towns with suspect communities.

Another thing that has not been expressed is there are a lot of these towns where it is wise to lock your van door when you don't have the door in sight. That includes when you are sleeping. Everyone goes into a deep sleep after they get to sleep. During the first few hours you can sleep through intruders entering your van if they are reasonably quiet. There have been a couple of nights in Mt Isa where vans were burgled whilst people were sleeping (we missed out on the attacks as I often sit up late on the computer, that's when the burglaries take place.) In Broken Hill I saw the woman next door looking around her van in a disturbed state. She had gone over to the amenities to clean her teeth. Whilst she was away someone had slipped into the van and taken her purse, her husband slept through the incursion.

Just remember, lock the van door when you are not observing it in these communities. Large towns like Kalgoorlie, Port Augusta, Dubbo and Tamworth are included.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 600151

Reply By: Member - tazbaz - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 17:58

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 17:58
Avoid Broome if you don't like crowds.
AnswerID: 600153

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 20:29

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 20:29
Tazbaz not sure what you mean .Tourist crowds ?? Any other places nearby to camp rather than in Broome
FollowupID: 869474

Reply By: swampy - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 17:58

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 17:58
hi
no where to avoid in the Territory but noticed a huge increase in outer control behaviour when I moved to Queensland . Qld police are limp wristed when it comes to control . To politically correct and all run from Brisvegas .They [Qld] have not got a clue by comparison .

Have not been for a while now but many many outposts are caged in . Many new buildings have only basic essentials . The buildings did only have short life span . I helped rebuild many with stacks of tax payers money . Even the football teams bus was stolen from the secure area . Found in a culvert after chasing roos. Drunken rampage .
Yes there huge drug problem and massive amounts of alcohol and after dark driving around I would be careful . The town camps are not as controlled as the media would let u believe

Stayed in Rose bay c/park ,a six foot fence did not stop the thieves . I got a good look at him , surprised him at 3 in the am. 17 offences and let off
bu--sh-t!!!!! weak as QLD .Cost me 200$.

swamp
AnswerID: 600154

Reply By: marty d - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:23
Certainly never used to be that way , especialy in Qld , mind you the social workers have governed Qld probably half of the last 20 years , so you get what you ask for !
AnswerID: 600192

Sponsored Links