Brindebellas trip report

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 19:26
ThreadID: 132425 Views:1814 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Had a good day in the Brindies today - although minus my Prado 120 which is having serious heart surgery.

But hitched a ride and we all had a great day.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Odog - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 16:12

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 16:12
Glad you all had a great day, were sorry we were not able to make it.. Photos look good, and the sun was out.. Bonus!
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 600152

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Monday, May 16, 2016 at 18:21

Monday, May 16, 2016 at 18:21
Owen and Sue

Yes we missed you. But it was suggested we do another day trip to Tantangara - Blue Water Holes next.

I like this idea and I may have my Prado back by then!
AnswerID: 600157

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:23
Hi Terry

Sounds like you had a great time and those views look unreal.

What was the issue with you Prado?

Is it the D4D motor or the earlier motor. Just interested to hear what the issue was, as I also have a 120 Series, but non D4D

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 869499

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:44

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:44
Yes Stepeh a 2008 D4D. One of the problems associated with the D4D and also other CR diesels is the wear and tear on the injectors including the seats.

I had them replaced at 125,000 and thought all OK.

However another problem can be caused by the blocking of the oil pick up screen in the sump if the seats start to fail. I am at 165,000 kms and had noticed some slight traces of smoke on start up. Have normally had an oil change and filter every 5000 kms. Also had the injector values checked at the last service 160,000 just before Christmas, All perfect.

Had mentioned oil pick to my garage but they said shouldn't be a problem as you change the oil so often and we are using top grade synthetic oil. Don't believe them.

On the way up from the Cotter after a day in the Brindies the oil pressure light started to flash. Pulled up as soon as possible - about a km up the road and shut down. Checked everything - then restarted and pop clatter clatter etc. Engine being pulled out but all the wisdom says oil pick blocked, starved engine of oil and big end bearing failure.

Injectors and seats were from Baileys Diesel Group and they have a 3 year 50,000 km warranty so hoping it is an injector failure. They have confirmed they will stand by their product and if it failed will remedy.

Won't find out until tomorrow or Thursday when they drop the sump, and remove injectors and seats.

AnswerID: 600187

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 20:01

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 20:01
From where I sit it seems that Toyota and Nissan make the worst CRD's on the market. Couple that with the least power and torque. It's terrible design to have to change injectors at such an early stage in my opinion. My little Land Rover CRD has 253k on the clock and the motor hasn't been touched apart from filters at 12k service intervals. Even my son's CRD Jeep has almost 200k on it with the original injectors. If I was paying the Toyota tax I'd be telling them what I think. They are giving CRD's a bad name by making people think this is normal. Sorry to hear about your woes.
FollowupID: 869513

Sponsored Links