Oodnadatta Gear Security

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 10:59
ThreadID: 132441 Views:2924 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
When staying overnight in a Cabin at Oodnadatta, I've been advised to be security minded by a mate who has stayed there a few times.
Ok, there is plenty of places I wouldn't go to in the city but the lose of gear etc., would be a pain in the ......
I don't want to be alarmist and like most travellers, apply common sense vehicle and camp security practices.

I was wondering if anyone has got advice/experiences who have stayed overnight at Oodnadatta

Cheers

dad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmk03 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:16

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:16
Been through there many times over the years, stayed in cabins, have camped out the back in tents & camper trailers.
Have not had any problems as yet.
Must say I haven't stayed there since the new owners took over but will be passing through again there in the next week or so.
I think a bit of common sense about security doesn't go astray no matter where you stay..
AnswerID: 600183

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:34

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:34
Thanks mate, I just thought I'd check with the "Been there, done that set" it's our first trip in the area.

This "Common Sense" thing I've found; is not that common at all.
4 Snatch straps later.

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 869509

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 12:28

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 12:28
I've stayed there twice now for a few days each time.

Never felt that there was any issue of security etc. Normal precautions are what's needed. 85 to 90% of all thefts and personal security crimes are what you call Opportunistic. In other words someone sees something unsecured etc and grabs it and gets away. We can prevent these types by just being careful, locking the car, not leaving stuff laying around. The other 10 to 15% are harder to prevent as they are planned crimes which indicates that some thought and planning has gone into them.

Anyhow the only place I've ever had a problem was outside a pub in East Burwood, someone knocked off my vehicle emblem from the back of the vehicle.
AnswerID: 600188

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:36

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:36
Thanks for your help mate.

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 869510

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:36

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:36
Unfortunately, with today's abundance of "it should be mine" mungrels, we treat all places the same. Everything expensive or attractive gets stowed away.Well maybe not in the middle of the CSR or Simpson. But I think that you will get my drift.

We use a roof top tent so if we want to go for a drive and come back to the same spot we pack up the camp, RTT and car (takes about 10 - 15 minutes) and then set up a very cheap tent and leave it empty. It has been opened once but left alone. Even the Maxtracks are put in the car at night. Paranoid - maybe - but safe and fairly happy nothing important etc is being stolen - YES. And that it includes the rubbish and shoes so that the four legged varieties don't take them.

Yes - The maxtracks etc go in the car at cabins, motels and in populated areas. Nothing loose on the roof either. Just the RTT and it's a pain to get off (mounted that way).

Phil
AnswerID: 600231

Follow Up By: dad1340 - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:05

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:05
Yeah Phil the days of leaving your front door unlocked and things like expensive camping gear at camp while away are well and truly.

I've 4 Maxtrax mounted on the back of my Rack via Trojan Mounts with a highly visible Push bike wire cable lock through the lot. Even small (again visible) locks on the Rackbag, Tow Unit; even on my Awning Zips to stop Drop-kicks from unzipping.

They all come off in remote area's or in dusty conditions.

An old mate say's forget the locks, just get a 12g. I cannot endorse this practice here of course.

Cheers

dad
FollowupID: 869538

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 19:57

Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 19:57
I don't know about that, I have come home to wide open front door that the missus has left open many a time hahaha!!! Nothing missing. Yet...
FollowupID: 869767

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 15:13

Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 15:13
This "device" will see your gear is safe!

Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600429

Sponsored Links