Windows 10 Update - How to Stop It

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 13:48
ThreadID: 132443 Views:4014 Replies:15 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

As a Mac user I enjoy just how simple and easy they are to use. I do have Windows based computers, but purely for OziExplorer only.

On my Windows 7 Ultrabook I have continually received prompts to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, but now it warns me that the upgrade will start in 15 minutes, and I am dead scared to leave the computer for any length of time in case it happens. The same happened at work the other day, but this time the download and upgrade started automatically.

Seeing our system at work was designed to run smoothly on Windows 7, I went into a mad flap and could not stop the upgrade, so I contacted our IT Support over in WA.

IT Support were able to restore or system to Windows 7, and then sent me this dead easy programme to install and use to kill any links to Windows 10 and the upgrade.......and it works a treat. I downloader the link at both home and work and no more prompts....thank goodness.

So if you are in the same boat as me and are continually asked to upgrade to Windows 10, and do not want to, just follow the below link.

Ultimateoutsider

When you have opened the link, make sure you download the Stand Alone Version and then follow the instructions below and you will never see those very annoying Windows 10 update prompts any more.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:36

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:36
Thank you! Thank you! Stephen

You have made my life a lot less frustrating

Alan
AnswerID: 600193

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:55

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:55
Hi Alan

Like you, it was becoming a real pain in the but and twice on my own private computer, it gave the countdown in progress.

Doing what I have posted above will kill the Windows 10 outright and you will never ever see those annoying prompts.

Like I said above, make sure that you follow the details outlined in the Red Squares.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869502

Reply By: Member - wicket - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:59

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 14:59
Or you could try this win10 stopper, works perfectly and very simple
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
AnswerID: 600194

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 15:28

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 15:28
Hi Wicket

I am only going on the advise given by our IT Support team, so I would have that they would only recommend the product that also works 100%.

Either way it great to get rid of that very annoying "Upgrading to Windows 10 in 15 Minutes "

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869504

Reply By: Life Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:05

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:05
Thanks for that. The last couple of days I have been bombarded with windows 10 pop ups. Win10 would prevent me from using a large number of programs that will not run on win10.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 600197

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:11

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 17:11
Hi Fred

Yes has been getting a real joke lately

Use the above and you will never have those problems any more.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869508

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:36

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:36
Hi

Another way, and possibly the easiest and safest (as it doesn't require any potentially dubious software downloads) is to simply open

C:\Windows\System32\GWX

or

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GWX (on 64-bit systems)

and then delete the GWX folder.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600199

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:42

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 16:42
Here is a simpler way to do it Download this from my Google Drive and run it.
It is a registry entry edit that stops the nag forever and takes about 30 secs to do it.
I have used it on lots of mine and friends computers and it works withoit problems.
I downloaded it in August and cant find where I got it from but it is harmless and does the whole job the above does without having to think.
Disable GWX

Have never been reminded since i inserted it However I have also made an Iso of Win 10 so i can install it if I wish
AnswerID: 600200

Reply By: bobsabobsa - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 18:16

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 18:16
Stephen
Thank you Thank you
bob
AnswerID: 600211

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 18:54

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 18:54
Hi Bob

It's good to get rid of those annoying Windows 10 upgrades.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869511

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:52

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 21:52
Bless you Stephen!
I had the countdown the other day and was able to tell it to bugger off but I see that it's back...
It's a bit damn cheeky, doing it when you repeatedly say no!
I'll get into it in the morning when I have more time.
Thanks a zillion from all of us!
:)
AnswerID: 600218

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:09

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:09
Hi Robyn

Yes like you I had been getting the countdown and would make sure that I would never get started.

The above will eliminate that for good.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869533

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:18

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:18
Thanx Stephen,

I'd nominated for the upgrade, but it hasn't happened yet. I since found out that its the basic home version that you get for nix, whereas I have the ultimate version of Win 7 which does a spectacular job!

Good to be done with it thanks
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600221

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:33
Bonz, the main difference between home and ultimate in Windows 7 was the Aero, preview and taskbar features which were gee whiz back then and ho hum now.

All that and more just comes standard now. Think reversing sensors being a $600 option 7 years ago and standard equipment now. Same thing.
FollowupID: 869524

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:38

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:38
Thanx Boobook,

I also found that I wasnt able to change a lot of settings and setup things in Win7 home that I can in Ultimate, has that changed for Win10? Dad had 10 on his laptop, its much faster than Win8, but has some annoying liumitations with settings.

Thanks for the info

Bonz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869525

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:54

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:54
Ultimate also had some advanced networking options that most home or small business users don't or can't use like domains, RDS, unix access etc.

I just checked and windows 7 Ultimate will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro which has the equivalent features.

Win 7 to 10 upgrade versions

Here are the Win 10 feature comparisons

Also see my post below. Win 7 support has ended and the offer to upgrade ends at the end on July 29 this year.

FollowupID: 869529

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:13

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:13
Thanx Boobook, mine has been pending update since Nov last year and still hadnt updated ..... Might go take a look now

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869535

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 22:45
I recall that there was an option in the upgrade warning window to stop it appearing. Down the bottom in faint lettering. I clicked it and no more Win 10 crap.

Phil
AnswerID: 600222

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 23:28

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 23:28
I used Disable GWX from a link on another forum on my home computer and that seems to have done the trick.

Where I work in town, the message that came up one day was different, and after postponing, there was the option to cancel it completely. (I didn't get that screen on my computer.) However it has kept coming back (it is a shared computer).

On my husband's laptop we had a lot of problems; it even tried to install but stalled at 32%. Our technical daughter was able to get into it and do a system restore. The messages kept coming. Then I got one the same screen as I had at work, and cancelling did stop it.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600224

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:09

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:09
I knew that option was there somewhere. So easy to miss it. Specifically done that way so that we get caught.

Hi MH

Phil
FollowupID: 869534

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 23:44

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 23:44
Like you Stephen I am a Mac user but do run a couple of old Windows machines for software that isn't available on the Mac eg the Codan programming app, some software radio apps etc

I used to use OziiExplorer and have versions running on Windows XP, Win CE, Android. I used to run a Windows emulator on a MacBook just to run Ozi. It is almost inconceivable that a developer capable of knocking out versions for all of the foregoing platforms would not release a version for Mac OS or iOS. Given the potential market you'd think it would be a no brainer.

One can only ponder the reason why it hasn't happened. Sadly, I almost never use Ozi any more. There are now several iOS apps that fulfill most of my needs. None are as feature rich or complex as Ozi, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to load the vehicle with extra 'toys' when I head bush, just for a few esoteric functions.

I use the iPad exclusively now in both the car (Hema 4WD Maps) and the plane (OzRunways and Air Nav VFR). It's good enough for the airline pilots so I reckon it should be good enough for me. The iPhone has the same apps and is a handy back up.

Bob

AnswerID: 600225

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 19:05
Hi Bob

The trouble is when using our Macs, its not until you hop onto Windows computer they you realise just how much the Mac are....no crashing programs just for starters. The only reason I take a small netbook away on holidays, is I record all our daily track files, and Waypoints.

Even though my Toshiba Ultrabook has a solid state drive, just like my Mac, the Mac kills it in every way, its is just so much quicker.

All the best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869582

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:01

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:01
Another better way to stop it Stephen is to actually upgrade to windows 10.

I have upgraded from several PC's and IMHO windows 10 is easier to use, faster and more reliable. I really can't see any reason not to do it.

Sure there were some drama's a year ago or so but it is a great operating system. Windows 7 was great, Windows 8 was a piece of trash but 10 is their best yet.
AnswerID: 600227

Follow Up By: Member - WBS - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:28

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:28
Yep! That's been my experience too. It appears to be a reliable platform, better than XP even. All the programs i've been using in MS windows 8.1 work with Windows 10. I've yet to discover one that doesn't.

I don't know the reasons why Oziexplorer hasn't been developed for Macs but I suspect that given it is the go to app around the world for mapping related GPS I'd say Des Newman has his hands full already.

Being a Mac user also, in my opinion there is simply nothing to compare to Oziexplorer available for the OS X platform. That's one reason why I maintain a laptop running Windows 10. I certainly don't want to mix my OS X operating system with a Microsoft Operating system. I like to keep things separate so I won't install Parallels or use Bootcamp.
WBS
FollowupID: 869518

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:36

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:36
Windows 7 is doomed. Windows 10 is the future, for the time being. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro after much resistance. Now..I reckon its great. I bought a paid unit . About $300 but I have the usb original stick and peace of mind.

cheers
FollowupID: 869520

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:48

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 07:48
Last night I was going to ask why not just upgrade to 10, but thought that I must have missed something and had made a big mistake in doing so.

Phew, what a relief that I'm not the only one in the world to have gone over.
I have had no negatives at all in using 10.

Paul
FollowupID: 869521

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:40

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:40
Another compelling event is that Windows 7 support stopped in January this year. You now have to pay Microsoft for Win 7 support.

Win 10 is supported forever ( "Our last operating system") but soon the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 will end - on July 29, 2016.

Free upgrade ends.

Given you can downgrade back to your original OS withing 30 days IMHO you are crazy to knock back an offer for a faster, more reliable, easier to use OS with modern design and future programs support for free. That is like knocking back a free warranty extension on your car where they also upgrade the software to make it quicker and more reliable.

FollowupID: 869526

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:41

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 08:41
Yup, installing Windows 10 stopped all the nagging and countdowns for updating to OS.

Been running it for about 6 months on 2 PC and once I figured out how to stop sharing the updates with the rest of the world, it works great.

I do have a HTPC running Windows Media Centre which is not included in the W10 OS so that PC has been locked down with W7 using GWX which has fixed the W10 nags.
FollowupID: 869527

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:03

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:03
I guess in the interests of full disclosure. I delayed upgrading for a while because past experience with upgrades on Microsoft have been mixed.

I bit the bullet a while ago and grit my teeth......

The process was smooth, automatic and painless. i did have an issue with the display on my win 8.1 PC that flickered occasionally but that stopped after about a day. Dunno why, I think it updated the driver. No issues at all from Win 7.

I honestly thought afterwards, I should have done that a lot earlier.

Anyone that has a windows 8.1 PC piece of junk should definitely upgrade immediately and you'll find you have a new computer that actually makes sense.
FollowupID: 869530

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:08

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:08
Hi Guys

As I said, I am mainly a Mac user and the Windows computers that I have are purely for OziExplorer only.

I know 2 people that did the upgrade to Windows 10, and then were not able to use their computers, as they had seemed to have lost a lot of information, and both have sent them to IT experts to see if the lost date could be found.

I will not get into the debate of Windows V Mac, but Bigfish said he paid $300 for the pro upgrade...yet another way of Mr Gates making more money. Did you know that regardless what Mac version you are using, any software or operating system upgrade will cost you......$0.00. Yes that right totally free.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869532

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:33

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 09:33
Stephen no doubt Macs have advantages. If it wasn't for mapping, programming and some car related programs I would consider one.

The unfortunate reality is that quite a few great programs just don't support apple, hence this thread I guess.

Like most things, the truth of a matter is in the detail..

Sure Apple have gone from paid to free upgrades ( in 2012??),. But so has Microsoft now. Same same.

Also imho, while Apple may offer free upgrades, there is about a $400 - 1000 premium for an Mac based PC over a Windows PC with the same power, capacity etc, so you do pay good money for the operating system, just up front. ( and they are generally nicer package.)

Microsoft do charge extra for enterprise features ( eg win 10 pro) over home. But Mac OS doesn't even have any of these enterprise features, hence they aren't widely deployed and managed in large corporates. Apple just don't offer an enterprise class product and no home user or small business could even begin to need these complex features. It is a completely different product for a different market.

A home user buying Pro is like a city carpenter buying a 4wd ute instead of a 2wd one even though he will never go out of town. A set of features he will never use.
FollowupID: 869536

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:17

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 10:17
Yep, have'nt had a single problem with Win 10. Very easy conversion but then again I did'nt have any problems with 8.1 either.

Regards
FollowupID: 869539

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 14:39

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 14:39
Hi Boobook,

We all know that we all have different views on anything, and computers are no different. As for a cost factor, I know that Mac will be dearer, but what a lot of Windows user are not aware of, that straight out of the box you have everything at your fingertips to get word processing, publishing, etc, compared again to Mr Gates and you have to go out and buy those most basic programmes, with the price tags for the programmes well over $300.

I know a friend that had a Windows XP running office 2003. He told me that when he purchased a new Windows 8, the office 2003 was not recognised and then had to shell out quite a few hundred dollars to get the lates office version that would work on his new Toshiba.

as we all say each to their own and if you are happy with what you are using, that is the most important thing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869554

Follow Up By: gelatr - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 16:21

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 16:21
Actually I couldn't help thinking this myself. The easiest way to stop the nag is to update to Win 10. I've done it on my own PCs and I haven't had an issue - and I was one of the early adopters. My computers are more stable and faster after the upgrade. I can't understand what all the fuss is over. I know a few people had problems but I think in the overall scheme of things this was in reality fairly rare. My PCs on Win 10 run Visual Studio and the Adobe Master Collection without any issues.

I also love the Mac versus PC debate. As an owner of both they each have there strengths and weaknesses. I was considering converting totally to a Mac running FusionWare to emulate the Windows environment but because of the nature of my computer work I've decided to keep the two environments separate. But to be honest there was no technical reason to stop this, just a personal preference.

My experience is don't be afraid to update to Win 10. Geoff
FollowupID: 869567

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:55
I too am a Mac user, and I also use a PC for my Video production.

I recently relented an upgraded from 10.6.8 to El kapitan, and immediately lost access to two of my programs that no longer are supported by the later operating system .... there goes that argument.

I purchased Final Cut Pro Studio for $1400 when buying my first MacBook, and a few months later they introduced FCPX for a fraction of the price, and dropped all support for what had been the industry standard program. The Mac hardware is superior to anything that has been produced by a PC company, but Programs DO crash.

I took a while to install W7 on my PC, waited til the bugs had been sorted, and found it brilliant. I also bootcamped my MacBook to save carrying two computers on the road. The new PC laptop came with W10, and I have to admit, that it works well.

I also have a computer that keeps reminding me that it wants to update, and I figure that most of the bugs have been ironed out, so just might do it.

Just my two bobs worth on the Mac vs PC thing. Apple are not the good fellas they want you to believe they are. Their only intent is to lock you into their system with no escape. Microsoft supply and support a myriad of manufacturers - including Apple. Apple lock you into THEIR hardware with THEIR software.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 870419

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 23:40

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 23:40
The reason I didn't want Windows 10 was mainly for programmes I run, that are likely to give me grief with a newer version of Windows. The other is to keep our family of computers consistent, and at least one will not cope with Windows 10.

As it is I still have to run a Windows XP for two programmes. One is for an industry based programme that will never be upgraded past Windows XP. The other is my accounting software, and it will cost me around $800 to upgrade to a Window 7 version.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600262

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 07:13

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 07:13
Motherhen

That's a different issue, Microsoft aren't upgrading XP to Windows 10 for free, and XP won't bug you to upgrade.

I have a few programs that were designed for XP, two will run in XP mode in windows 10, however one won't. Sometimes there are compatibility issues and good reasons, like yours, to stick with XP.

Programs designed for windows 7 and 8 are a different story however, and will run on windows 10 without issue.
FollowupID: 869596

Follow Up By: gelatr - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 11:24

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 11:24
I agree that if there are compatibility issues with software then that alone is an argument to stick with Win XP. I know of some situations in industry where there is high risk software that will only run on XP. I do question, given the known security vulnerabilities with XP, the risks associated with sticking with it as Win XP went out of support April 2014. I think anybody still using XP needs to be thinking about a transition plan. But everybody will have there own risk profile and what they are comfortable with.
FollowupID: 869610

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 14:16

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 14:16
Yes it is a different issue Boobook. Just drawing a parallel of the non Microsoft software needs of different people. I had someone set up an "XP Box" programme on the Windows 7 computer, but I never got my programmes working with it.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869613

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 09:58

Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 09:58
I have changed one of my laptops to Linux as an experiment.
It works a treat, it's free and seems to have no trouble running a variety of programs. Installed WINE and it runs MS programs
I think I might gradually change over to Linux for all my machines.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 600280

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:48
Our workshop has been full of Win 10 upgrades gone wrong for 3 months. We've had a couple of laptops in where the Win 10 upgrade has failed and bricked the BIOS. A nice little surprise for those owners. You can no longer enter the BIOS or boot from anything. Thanks for the free upgrade Bill!
AnswerID: 601116

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 21:13
Usually only happens on machines that were really too old or had inadequate hardware and owners knew better and thats the result.

One of my old desktops threw up inadequate hardware messages so I didnt bother any further
FollowupID: 870437

Sponsored Links