Simpson Geocentre and Geosurveys Hill via the French Line

Submitted: Friday, May 20, 2016 at 20:44
ThreadID: 132471 Views:2227 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Interested.. I will return to Birdsville on aprox the 17th of June after travelling the Madigan from Mt Dare.
However due to the new permit restrictions in visiting Geosurveys Hill from Madigans line I would like to travel via the French Line and visit the Geocentre andGeosurveys Hill ,departing BV on 18th-20th a round trip.
I am looking for at least one other well equipted vehicle to join me for 6 to 7 days. If you are keen please post here.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 20, 2016 at 23:01

Friday, May 20, 2016 at 23:01
Hi Maurice

It is no boys trip out there and you will need more time than that, and for safety reasons, I would want at least three other experienced, desert travellers / vehicles with me.

You can get in to the Centre without having to come in from the French Line, instead heading west to the north of Poeppels Corner.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600371

Follow Up By: maurice b - Friday, May 20, 2016 at 23:30

Friday, May 20, 2016 at 23:30
Thanks Steve.Heading north west from Poeppels over the dunes is a lot slower and fuel chewing as we found out last year via Mirroponda lakes .This took us 3.5 days to 6 km East of the Hill .Its very hard to get a party members to do a trip like this so I have chosen the easier route between the Swales up past Wilhems Kemps Plaque with less dunes to cross E/W.
FollowupID: 869718

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 08:17

Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 08:17
Hi Maurice

If you can try and hook up with some older shot line further north, you can pick up some time that way.

All the best and please put a report up when you get back.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 869727

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 23:01

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 23:01
We couldn't find anything but virgin land to cross, all old shot lines are pretty much gone.
I think the OSM 'route' as on this forum and the one you did Stephen ?
If so there is nothing there now, we criss crossed it, and nadda to be found of anything easier than just making your own way.
FollowupID: 869897

Sponsored Links