A question for owners of Delorme InReach devices

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2016 at 08:49
ThreadID: 132494 Views:2750 Replies:7 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am considering getting one of these devices.

I have used Spot 1 messenger for many years but it's lack of two way communication is an issue for me.

At this point I am not interested in a Satphone.

One of the uses for this device is to alert some one if you have mechanical difficulties in a remote area.

Has any one used one of these devices in this situation. My concern is that sending messages to some one you don't know is problematic in that they would probably not respond.

So what do people do. Do they just message a known person with details and get them to track down help or just hope for a response. If so it probably is not much better than What is offered by Spot.

Richard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 09:15

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 09:15
And what if you are after two way medical or first aid help. Useless.

I know what you said but we have a satellite phone so that a doctor or nurse can tell us what to do.

I respect your choice - don't agree but respect it.

Cheers

Phil

PS (added edit): I meant to add: What if you needed advice on binding a broken leg with a bit of bone sticking out the side. Two way text with vital statistics, explanations and a bit of panic thrown in, is not what I would like to rely on.

Somehow I deleted this bit when I got a phone call. Sri.
AnswerID: 600461

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 14:25

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 14:25
Hi Phil just asking an opinion.Seems so much technology out there.I traveled years ago old Landcruider petrol.No satphone no nothing just lots of water fuel and 2 spares.Did a lot of traveling in the hot seasons. Lucky I suppose nothing went wrong.
Now married with a 6 year old son.I would like to go Gary Junction Rd and onto Rudall River.Have 150 litres of fuel,water 90litres and .2 spares.Have purchased satphone .My question is will the satphone be enough security or you think need backup like PLB .We will be going solo in 2010 Hiux Diesel. Cheers
FollowupID: 870508

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:14

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 16:14
For us I believe it could be.

However to be honest I haven't studied that area for a drive so I can't say for sure. Our car also is maintained with the moto to "bring us home". Cost is not the driving force. If it was then I would sell the car and build a shed for my model trains, which I will when either of us are not able to drive. My wife was also a nurse until we met. Is yours or do you have any first aid skills etc. This makes a difference. My wife is also an excellent off road driver having been an Australian Rally champion with her Mother. Just quietly, shhhh. She is better at it than I.

So I won't put my left kanacka on it, other than to say that it would be for us.

We also don't have any interest in the almost edictive way that people have to remain in 100% contact 24/7. In all of our Madigan trip I made one mobile call to Birdsville to confirm a cabin booked after the desert. That's ONE phone call ONLY in four weeks. The boys also don't bother us or send texts every five minutes etc etc etc. Nice and quiet trip - just us and nature.

FollowupID: 870513

Reply By: Idler Chris - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 09:24

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 09:24
These days you can get a satphone for less money than a Delorme device, its a no brainer IMHO.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600462

Reply By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:34

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 10:34
Thanks for comments on satphones. I am not excluding them as an option but am starting my research with the Inreach
The plans for a casual user are better on these devices as can suspend them for a small fee.
Richard

I should add that my initial question re lack interactivity with the Inreach is sort of what you guys are saying
You are right that trying to get critical information via SMS would be limiting and difficult

Richard
AnswerID: 600465

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:31

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:31
Richard

I can suspend the cost associated with my satphone for free...

... I just don't make a call!

It doesn't cost me to reactivate the service either...

... I just make a call!

Once I've payed for the credit - no more costs. I can even use it in an emergency to make a call without credit. I can even receive calls without credit and I can update my credit with an SMS from my sat phone if I run out.

Can any of the Spot/Inreach type devices can do this?

That and the lack of instantaneous two way voice communication made my decision easy.

Tracking type devices have a place, but not as a primary emergency communication device.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 869818

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:20

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:20
We have a Prepaid account for our satellite phone and only put funds into it before a remote trip. We only have the phone for emergencies and not for chatting etc.

We have only made one call on it since we got it years back. That was from the back verandah at home to our house phone and when the house phone rang we hung up. As said - just for emergencies so the loss of any unused credit is of no concern. A bit like insurance.

Phil
FollowupID: 869825

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:45

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:45
Phil
Thanks for your comments as well

Both are very similar in that you get a prepaid and top as required

Irmastat seem to be only ones who do that

I have some thing to look into I guess

Thanks again
FollowupID: 869828

Reply By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:48

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:48
What plan is that

I have looked around a bit and have not found any that didn't cost even if not being used

Richard
AnswerID: 600466

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:59

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 11:59
I use Inmarsat.

Buy the phone outright - buy the amount of credit as you need it - lasts 12 months (now) from when you activate it.

I'm not interested in calling people for social chatter. I have it for emergency use only. I have $50 credit activated at all times (in case I duck a way for a weekend or go for a walk in the local bush). If I am planning a longer trip, I get more credit before I leave. Currently planning 6 weeks in the Pilbra in July so I have purchased additional credit I will activate by SMS if needed.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 869821

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:05

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:05
Anthony
Thanks for the info

Are Inmarsat are the only ones that have that option

Isn't this typical u ask a question on a particular device and get advice on other things

Isn't that good. ?? Thank you.

I have taken in the responses and will broaden my scope.

Richard
FollowupID: 869822

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 15:15

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 15:15
If you search sat phones on this site, you will find that 437% of all possible questions will have been asked and answered.

Some others have a casual plan or post paid. I have never really looked at other options as this one works for me.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 869831

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 15:51

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 15:51
Next step I guess

Richard
FollowupID: 869834

Follow Up By: maurice b - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:01

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:01
Hi Anthony, how did you get a $50 Voucher 12 months expiry for your isatphone usually they were for 3 months ,now since 1st of May are one month expiry ,some dealers still have older vouchers. I assume to top up using sms you have to have a voucher code that you have purchased before you leave home.
FollowupID: 869845

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:39

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:39
Hi Maurice,

I usually buy $100 vouchers for the bigger trips and then leave the balance on the phone for when I do shorter trips around home. It just happens that I usually use around $40 to $50 dollars of the voucher leaving the remaining $50.

I do have some of the older vouchers which are going to require activation soon due to the new charging system they have come up with.

Normally, I just ring my dealer, order them and leave it up to them. They store the info and I get in contact with them when I need more credit. So far no issues.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 869855

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 21:34

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 21:34
If vouchers are $50 for 1 month it could get expensive

Not sure how they work
Is it one month from first usage or from purchase.

Richard
FollowupID: 869864

Reply By: wizzer73 - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 17:34

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 17:34
Have a look at satphonesales.com.au

They have sat phones as well as inreach.

Very helpfull staff. Satisfied customer here. I bought a refurbished globalstar phone. $375.

Since you already have a spot, maybe a sat phone is best for you. They compliment each other.

Cheers
Wazza
AnswerID: 600474

Follow Up By: maurice b - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:13

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:13
I wouldn't recommend the Globalstar Pivotel service unless you want to wait around for a signal then get cut off during your conversation .I used one out at Quilpe a few weeks back .It was pathetic compared to my isatphone only benefit is the Aust number .
FollowupID: 869849

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:39

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:39
Maurice , Quilpie - Windorah has been a "black" spot for sat phones forever and a day , Globalstar Pivotel satellites for some reason unless you can get 4-5000ft above ground the service is almost non existent.
FollowupID: 869874

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 22:06

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 22:06
I use a satphone in text message mode quite often, so in essentials it's the same as an inReach.

It's fine for a simple exchange. If it came to a chat say with RFDS about a medical emergency it would get a bit trying I'd say. Might be OK with two of you on the case. Same deal with taking instructions on getting your wagon going again. Keying with greasy paws?
AnswerID: 600494

Reply By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 11:54

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 11:54
Ok I have been looking into the Inmarsat phones

I am a bit confused over the pre paid

50 units for $85 which expire in 30 days from Satphone sales

The question I have is does this 30 days start from purchase time or activation time
How long can you keep them if not activated, I think 12 months

If traveling for an extended time this would mount up

Richard

http://www.satphonesales.com.au/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=Inmarsat+IsatPhone+Pro+SIM+Card&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&manufacturers_id=

AnswerID: 600509

Follow Up By: TomH - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 14:41

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 14:41
HAve you got a cellular phone for every day use.

Is it a Telstra plan and roamed for international use.
If answer is yes do this

Go on Ebay and find a Motorola 9505A and buy it.

When on a remote trip put your normal sim in it and you will have communication.
Will cost $4 a minute both in and out buts whats money if your life is at risk.
Another thing you can do is buy a $30 starter pack from Telstra and stick that in your cell phone for when you are using sim in satfone.
Tell your family to ring that to get hold of you when necessary.

Or if your wife also has a cell phone tell firends etc ONLY to ring you on that.
Problem solved.
FollowupID: 870509

Sponsored Links