Timing Belt

Submitted: Monday, May 23, 2016 at 12:33
ThreadID: 132496 Views:3291 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Had the timing belt changed last week, this could be the last , I am considering retiring the old Troopy to the farm only sometime in the next 2 to 3 years, Engine is still good, Oil changes have been every 10,000 since I got it back in 2002, still on original Diffs and Uni Joints, I'll do an Oil and filter change next week, the diffs and Gearbox / Transfer will get an oil change too, probably next month.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:17

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:17
Doug,
Give her a coat of green with yellow wheels and put her to work on the farm. She should still be able to pull a couple of 26 run seed drills. LOL.

Good to see she is still on the hop.
AnswerID: 600469

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:42

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 13:42
Haaa yeh thanks mate, but we already have a little one of those colors, a ride on, , all our main tools have a name , Betty the Blower, Colin the Cracker, ...that's an electric Jack Hammer, Wally the Welder, Charly the Chain Saw, and of course the Lawn Mower is Jode, taking the first 2 letters of the name John Deere, I'd like to get a Gator 4x4 , but need to win lotto...
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869827

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 14:07

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 14:07
Doug,

May I ask what you are going to replace Trevor the Troopy with??

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 869830

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 17:09

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 17:09
Pop...I have not give the idea a lot a lot of thought yet , just I do the day will come when I have saved enough money to get something, I'd like a 4X4 if possible, being on the pension will mean it will not be a new one, hey I would look at the Suzuki Jimny.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869836

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:19

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 19:19
We test drove a Jimny earlier this year.
Trustme...after getting out of a Troopy...you wont want one.............
Also checked out an Isuzu Mux a cuppla weeks ago...would definitely go one of those down the track , but don't even look at a manual....it has a porridge pot shift pattern ...even worse than a 10 speed R/R with worn joints .
The auto is a cracker...and towing locked in 4th (1.0to1.0) it is pulling along quite well at only 2100 revs at 85 KMH (my Datto is doing 2800 at the same speed)
Plus it handles well ...has good visibility.....good ground clearance ...and low range!!!
Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 869850

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:02

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:02
Doug! It's got a chassis so everything is replaceable around it. Parts are cheap, just keep it going! My Patrol looks low on kilometers compared to yours at 410,000.
The only thing that has failed on mine is the alternator at 350,000ks, it still has its original clutch! New and shiny is nice but reliability is KING!! Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 600482

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:37

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:37
Just shows what good maintenance and "mechanical sympathy" can do for a vehicle, Doug. Good on you, and Trevor Troopy too. :-)

Ha ha, got a laugh out of the names too. On Brighton Downs, we had Garry Grader, Alfie the loader and Bozo the skid-steer. My work 79 series, a turbo, was the Fast Car, which I ended buying off the lease company.

This also reminds me of the days of HF radios, RFDS base at the Isa and telegrams. To save on telegram costs, think it used to be so much per word(?), they named all the vehicles on the station after senior members within the Company. The ute was Gordon, Bedford truck was Trevor and so on. So a 'gram would read: "Require on mail, fan belt for Trevor" or "Oil filter for Gordon per mail". Old Norm Lenton at Central Motors in Winton, had all the necessary engine numbers recorded for each vehicle, and their nicknames. Used to work pretty well, and I'd say many got a laugh out of these telegrams.

At home now, we have Fiesty the Ford Fiesta, Casper, a white XR6 and the new V8 'cruiser is Animal. Our Honda mower is Mr L. Mower.......gives it a bit of distinction, for such a lowly job. Names for some of the other household tools might not be permitted, on this a family website!

Even if you do buy something else, don't sell the old Girl. It needs to spend its later years, at peace with the world. Not getting thrashed by some clown who doesn't know or appreciates it's history.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600486

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:52

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 20:52
Thanks Bob, it will be staying here on the farm as a work horse, Its needed to tow the Spray trailer I made.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 869862

Reply By: Member - sparra - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 21:26

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 21:26
Leave him out there in the long yard.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 600491

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, May 23, 2016 at 22:49

Monday, May 23, 2016 at 22:49
I totally agree about regular maintenance hey..
Have a 1984 Peugeot 505 STI sedan that has gone a tad over 600000 km....and it has had proper maintenance every 5000 ever since we have owned it since 1991.
Has never really bailed us up when away....ut in that time has had a few small issues...but nothing major.
Our Patrol only has 240000 on it atm......so with my care and maintenance I should see somwhere around Doug,s odometer reading before I am finished with it.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 869868

Sponsored Links