Mataranka to Normanton

Submitted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 09:53
ThreadID: 132510 Views:3022 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All, we are about to head off from Mataranka to Normanton with LC76 towing a good offroad van in a couple of days. Route will include Roper Bar, Butterfly Springs, Lorella Springs, Booroloola, Hellsgate RH then the back way from the North into Lawn Hill. We have done a fair bit of reading but just wondering if anybody has some suggestions for POI's and possible campsites along the way that we may have missed? Any info would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:07

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:07
Hi Will.
There is plenty of places to camp along the way.The 3 i liked were Southern lost City,Lorella Springs allow at least 5-7 days,it is a brilliant place with lots to do and see and just outside of Booroloola (34 k) King Ash Bay.
Cheers
Stuart and Gunny
AnswerID: 600504

Reply By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:28

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 10:28
Western Lost City. Phone the ranger at Nathan River(08 8975 9940) to get key to gate.The gate is locked to control visitor numbers and to prevent camping. From memory there are only four keys available. Vans can be left at the Ranger Station.

Southern Lost City. This is just as good and you can camp here. However camping at nearby Butterfly Springs is even better.

Caranbirini Conservation Reserve. More lost city formations, good walks and a waterhole with a bird hide. Day use only. No camping.

Kingfisher Camp. Good camping area on the Nicholson River on the way to Lawn Hill from the North. Lots of birds. Good kayaking on river.
AnswerID: 600506

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 12:17

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 12:17
Just checked Wikicamps for Lawn Hill. The road to Lawn Hill is closed due to rain. Presumably this is the road from Gregory Downs. Nearby Century Mine recorded 25mm in the last three days.

Ring Adels Grove for up to date information on road conditions.
FollowupID: 869876

Follow Up By: wendys - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 19:35

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 19:35
Kingfisher Camp no longer operating, unfortunately.
FollowupID: 869924

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 16:14

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 16:14
Thanks for the reply's. I have just called Adels Grove and Hellsgate Roadhouse. Quite a bit of rain has fallen and infact it was raining at Hells Gate when I rang. Adels Grove said that the road from Camooweal to Lawn Hill is closed and the only way in is via Gregory Downs although it has had upto 60mm in the area!! I think we will be monitoring the weather closely and take it as it comes but slowly slowly. One point of interest from the phone calls was that King Fisher camping is no longer a go due to new owners and also the road from the North into Lawn Hill is currently closed. Got to love that red country when it gets wet which certainly puts a stop to your progress.
AnswerID: 600515

Follow Up By: wendys - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 16:43

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 16:43
If you take your time visiting places like Lorella Springs, by the time you get into Qld, the Doomadgee-Lawn Hill track may well be open again.
FollowupID: 869884

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 17:22

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 17:22
As others have said, a huge tick for Lorella Springs, and make sure you give yourself several days as there are so many interesting tracks to follow.
Lost City is also great, and Lawn Hill is a must. Even at the start of your journey the tracks through various properties from Mataranka to Roper Bar are interesting, and the Tomato Island camp ground on the Roper River is well worth a stop-over (especially if you're interested in fishing).
Enjoy!
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 600516

Sponsored Links