Alternative to Marella Gorge for camping?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 01, 2016 at 13:21
ThreadID: 132601 Views:3837 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Welcome to winter one and all. I've been in contact with Flora Valley Stn who advise that public access and camping at Marella Gorge has been stopped due to anti social behaviour. Another example of the obnoxious few stuffing it up for the rest of us.
Given that this is no longer available does anybody have an alternative in this general area? Anecdotally I've heard that Palm Springs can be a bit rubbish strewn and not as pleasant as it could be?
Thanks
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 00:19

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 00:19
Palm Springs is small a close to the road. It is also not an authorised camping area, although they know that some do stop there and have condoned those who have broken down or suffering illness to stay.

Nearby with access from on the other side of the road is Sawtooth Gorge. We did not try and take our big rig in, but others with off road caravans have done so.

We were lucky to gain permission to stay at Marella in 2008.Flora Valley subsequently asked me not to list it as a camping area on Australia So Much to See because "it is on private property. We would like to preserve and protect this area."
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600831

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 17:26

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 17:26
What a shame the hoons ruin it for everyone; Marella was a fabulous place to stay.
There are other options on the Duncan Road, though none as good. You could try Caroline Springs just out of Halls Creek, and there is good camping at a river crossing (forget the name) nearer to the northern/Kununurra end.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 600856

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 18:10

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 18:10
Hi Wildmax thanks for the info. The woman I spoke to at Flora valley mentioned a good camp at a river crossing north of there which could be the one you have in mind.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870217

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 21:39

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 21:39
Negri River Crossing on the Duncan Road is the good one. You can take a small camper lower near the river, but we chose the large flat area higher up. Both are on the south west side of the crossing.

We stopped at Negri River one night and Marella the next.Palm Springs did not suit us, so we went on to Halls Creek. We needed to repair water lines. After filling our tanks with beautiful fresh Lake Kununurra water, a stone took out a tap between two tanks and by the time we got to Negri crossing for the night, the last bit drained away :(.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870222

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:13
Thanks MH, that sounds like the name of the river I was told about. We'll be travelling from Wolf Creek that day so a bit further than we'd hoped to travel so we'll have to suck it and see it. Guess we'll just have to break camp earlier than normal then. Not towing so that makes travelling easier.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870224

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:20
Not towing, I would try Sawtooth Gorge. Will you be stopping overnight at Wolfe Creek? Do you want to do any sightseeing around the area, such a Old Halls Creek, Caroline Pool or Palm Springs? Are you planning to travel north on the Duncan Road? Negri Crossing a is fair way towards the north on it.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870229

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:48

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:48
Staying over night at Wolf Creek. Hope to have a bit of a snoop around Halls Creek. Was scheduling one night between WC & Keep River NP then onto Argyle Resort for the night so Keep River gives us one night of redundancy as we can go into KR NP on the homeward leg.

Like I said may have to suck it and see. If worst comes to worst there is always the black top into Kununurra from Halls Creek.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870233

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:58

Thursday, Jun 02, 2016 at 22:58
That's the way we travel Dunc. We usually find somewhere to stop for the night without much trouble. You have probably been via the Highway previously, but we found it a more scenic drive than the Duncan Road.

Zebra Rock Mine at the northern end of the Duncan Road is now open to the public, including a campground with campsites $10 per person (unpowered).Zebra Rock Mine campground
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870235

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:30

Friday, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:30
I would of thought that the Duncan Rd was more scenic? Yes it is our intention to visit the Zebra Rock Mine and didn't know about the camping.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870250

Sponsored Links