Uniden UH8020S CB radio

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 14:27
ThreadID: 132645 Views:5029 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Wondering whether anyone has one of these and if so would like your opinion please.
Having a look at buying one so i can put it in my new motorhome. Like the idea of it being mobile as I left my previous one in the ute when i traded it because it was wired in. Also the small size is good.
Will be travelling with friends and family at times so using it to stay in contact, also for traffic information, accidents, on coming wide loads and heavy vehicles.
Travelling by myself it is another way of getting help should i need it, although i do intend buying a personal locator beacon or epirb shortly too.

thanks,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 15:35

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 15:35
Heather,
Any of the recognised brands are ok. Uniden, Icom, GME etc. Some models have the controls on the microphone so you can mount the radio somewhere convenient and dont have to find somewhere to mount the radio/control head on the dashboard. Some also have the speaker in the microphone. If the vehicle is noisy the speaker in the microphone may not be loud enough. Mine is an Icom and is in a BT50 and the speaker in the microphone works well. It saves finding somewhere to mount the speaker.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 600965

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 15:43

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 15:43
thanks.
The vehicle, being a motorhome is a tad noisier than travelling in my BT 50 was, depending on how well i have stowed things so that might well be a consideration. My sister and brother in law have one of the uniden ones so i might borrow it and give it a try or speak to my local RV man who is also an auto electrician and see what he thinks when I get home.
regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870328

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 17:37

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 17:37
I would suggest that you do not get one with any controls in the microphone. Drop on your lap and it slides down next to the console and the buttons are randomly touched. Once was ham operator (mke) who did this to man expensive triband VHF/UHF radio and no one could get it to work properly. Even sticking a pin into the "reset" hole didn't help. Back to base for a full factory reset.

I like the plain microphone for just this reason.

Phil
FollowupID: 870330

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:41
Phil,
Some of the newer UHF radios with mic controls have a lock function so that only the channel and volume can be adjusted on the mic until you turn off the control lock function. My ICOM has this feature.
FollowupID: 870335

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:31

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:31
Some years ago I made many replies re Uniden CB's, they are very bad to listen to , get a GME , you can't hear what you sound like, the receiving person can.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870339

Reply By: Bazooka - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:19

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:19
Until June 10 you can pick up the GME TX3100 Plug n Play for $240 click and collect ($9.95 post) at BCF Ebay Heather (~20% off). Same 5yr warranty as Uniden.

BCF GME TX3100 Plug n play
AnswerID: 601014

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:45

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 19:45
Thanks for that..i will have a look at it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870358

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:36

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:36
If you are going the fitted option Heather I've just updated my 40 ch GME 3200 with a GME TX 3500S. Middle of the range, does everything most of us need.

GME has been doing a bundle including a matching aerial for around $300. This is currently the best I could find pricewise. $290 free c&c at Woolworths/BigW.: ebay GME3500s with GME aerial

Very easy to install. It also has an extension speaker plug, which is handy if the unit/speaker is enclosed in or under a dashboard - as mine is. Plenty to chose from for around the $20 mark. Eg: Plug in Extension Speakers

For anyone interested in upgrading their GME 40ch this is exactly the same form factor as the TX3200. Slide the old one out, slide new one in. The new one is much clearer in my experience.
FollowupID: 870388

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 20:53
Hi Heather
The uniden uh8020s has a magnetic base antenna and you will have trouble as there is no place to mount it on your new MH. As others have said GME is a better radio and they do a similar radio being TX3100pnp but still have antenna mount problem. A GME TX3120s is package with antenna included and the antenna is bracket mounted say on mud gaurd. If you look up Prestige Communications in Perth they have good deals and free post, I've dealt with them on many occassions
and find them good to deal with and goods arriving within 2/3 days to Melbourne.Li
Like your new rig, safe travells.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 601020

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 04:54

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 04:54
Thanks everyone. I think I might have a talk to my local auto electrician and have him put one in for me.
regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601036

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:58

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:58
Forgot to mention the PLB.

Bought a compact KTI (Oz made, like the GME) PLB last year from this mob for for $265.

KTI PLB with GPS

Currently they have it for $259. Use code SYDSHIP or SYDSHIP, MYFTSDEALPOST for free delivery.

Whatever you buy just make sure the battery date is as far from the current date as possible. This model has min 10 year battery expiry and 10 yr warranty, plus GPS for better location.

There are plenty of different makes and models of course.
AnswerID: 601054

Sponsored Links