The great VW Golf camping mod (roadworthy q)

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 18:11
ThreadID: 132647 Views:2469 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Unfortunately my phone ate the first post I typed out, so this will be a bit more brief:

Long story short, will I have any problems touring Oz if I take the rear seats out of my VW Golf and lay down some plywood to create a larger cargo/sleeping area?

I've managed to ascertain that taking the seats out should be fine as they're dickie seats; two clips, a bolt and you're done... I'm unsure as to whether laying down the plywood 'flooring' would see me having a rather disappointing police pullover halfway around the country though.

Any advice, experience, wisdom etc. would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and happy trails :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 18:41

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 18:41
Ask an engineer as supposedly it is illegal to remove seats that are held in with bolts.

Yes I know about Patrols and 200ser.

I removed the 2nd row in my 100 ser and because it was semi permanent I got an engineers certificate when I took them out and another when I put them back
The mod number is LK1

I know in other states than QLD it can be done and as the OP hasnt said where he is this is just general advice.

It all depends on the definition of "Temporary". I decided not to gamble and did it right.
You must be pretty short to be able to sleep in a Golf as my Passat wagon longest floor length I can get is 1900mm
AnswerID: 600973

Reply By: eaglefree - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 19:37

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 19:37
Many years ago I purchased a 7x4ft trailer with canvas tent top and steel tube frame.. A ply floor 4" above the floor mattress and roll up windows in the canvas top.
The trailer hardly effected the economy, was cheap and more comfortable if you have to wait out some bad weather or flooded roads.
AnswerID: 600975

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:22

Saturday, Jun 04, 2016 at 20:22
I would call the motor registry and make an enquiry if you can temporarily remove the seats then you'll get the answer you're looking for, it may have an effect on your insurance if a claim is processed and they find the rear seat missing.
AnswerID: 600977

Reply By: LandCoaster - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 10:03

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 10:03
your going to scare people camping in your car so expect fairly regular attention from police, neighborhood watch and early homelessness intervention workers. If it is a really late model golf you will attract even more attention.
Is there a different type of program for you to get with? A van would be good, even camping from a 4x4 wagon would be better.
AnswerID: 601046

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:12

Friday, Jun 10, 2016 at 12:12
Mate, take the seats out and put your plywood floor in. You'll be fine. There's no vigilante group of police/transport department workers out hunting down people who've taken out their back seats.

While I'm not a police officer, I'm pretty sure that none of them would give a toss about whether you had your rear seats in or not. It's hardly contributing to a major road safety issue.
AnswerID: 601188

Sponsored Links