Jayco Swan

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 08:17
ThreadID: 13265 Views:4363 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anybody ever had the lifting mechanism on a Jayco Swan etc jam in the up position and if so what is the proceedure to pack up and hit the road. I have a 1986 Swan and have this phobia that one day it will fail at the worst possible time.

Best Regards

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 13:34

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 13:34
Ron,
I have had two Jaycos and I do not think that the winding clutch will jam in the up position. The only thing I have had is that the lift cable has slipped or snapped, requiring the side involved being "propped-up"with a piece of wood. I could then readjust the cables and reclamp them at the correct height.

perhaps you should measure the height of the lift poles and carry a piece of wood at that length "just in case" this happens.
I hasten to add that this only happened once in 20 years of camping and was easily fixed by the above method.

The lift mechanism is very reliable on Jaycos should not give any trouble if checked every now and again.

Regards,

Dave

AnswerID: 60758

Reply By: andyg - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 14:52

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 14:52
Ron ,
Depending on which part of the mechanisam is jambed ,if its one of the lifting arms its most prob been bent but theres enough wait in the roof section to push it down but not as smooth.If its in the winch section you may have over tightened and the catch has jambed a bit of a clean and regrease should fix . Check under the front seat storage area and see if anything is interfering with the movement of the winch and cables.The trick is to keep the system clean and well greased.There is a publication about maintenace on wind ups forget where try jayco or a caravan spares.

Happy camping

Andyg
AnswerID: 60760

Reply By: Michael - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 20:41

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 20:41
Gday Ron, i Came across a guy about 20 years ago at Ceduna, with the front of his wind up camper(not a Jayco). I had a Dove at the time. A pulley ripped from the timber frame. The wind was blowing a gale and he was really pi##ed off. I think the new ones are of aluminium frame, unlike the old, cheap wood. I've had 2 Jayco's no probs, any problems from years gone by would have been fixed by now. Attachment to alloy frame would be 200% better than the old wood ones. Relax, It ain't gonna happen. Michael
AnswerID: 60798

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 23:45

Saturday, May 29, 2004 at 23:45
I've just picked up a 2nd Hand Jayco Dove and the people that sold it to me warned against lifting it too high as lifting mechanism will jam and is expensive to replace.
I can request further info if you would like.
AnswerID: 60836

Sponsored Links