Desert Parks Pass

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:11
ThreadID: 132652 Views:1892 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are coming over from NZ in a couple of weeks to do the Gunbarrel (starting from Wiluna) and Sandy Blight and then thought we would do the Simpson as we head towards the East Coast. Does anyone know if a Desert Parks Pass be purchased from somewhere near Alice?? From what I have read they are now usu purchased online but they won't post to an address outside of Australia. And don't really want to spend the $150 until we know we are definitely going to go over the Simpson. So I would prefer to pick up a Pass just before we head out. Last time we did the Simpson back in 2011 we purchased Parks Pass in Alice but this doesn't seem to be an option any more?? And the official purchase outlets now seem to be only Flinders Ranges & Port Augusta, places which we won't be anywhere near.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:19

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:19
Your route is probably via Mt Dare Hotel on the western edge of the Simpson Desert. A Desert Parks Pass can be purchased at the hotel.
Have a good trip.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 600984

Reply By: Nelson Nomad - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:23

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 08:23
Thanks Allan

That will be ideal


AnswerID: 600986

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 10:07

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 10:07
Camp in Dalhousie Springs for a night. Guarantee the vultures will circle at some stage....

Also guarantee the vultures will justify the exhorbitant price by saying you can use it multiple times in the next 12 months .... despite the fact you're from NZ......
AnswerID: 600994

Follow Up By: LAZYLUX16 - Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:02

Monday, Jun 06, 2016 at 13:02
Scott M appears you dislike SA fees for Simpson .I agree .I believe strongly that the fee should include a Satphone or PLB .Could be picked up at Mt Dare or Birdsville and returned.either end.I still do not know whst the Parks people provide out there.I have owned 4wds since 84 paid rego fuel tax parts tax tyre tax etc etc I think most 4wd owners have contributed to keeping small town businesses alive .Thats my Monday Moan sorry.
FollowupID: 870386

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 20:51

Sunday, Jun 05, 2016 at 20:51
For permits in Western Australia (where needed) apply on line at Department of Aboriginal Affairs and for the adjoining land in central Australia Central Land Council.

Purchase a South Australia Desert Park Pass on line at National Parks South Australia but allow plenty of time for it to reach you.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601019

Sponsored Links