Using the right toilet chemical?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 12:56
ThreadID: 132667 Views:5403 Replies:8 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
interesting...might be cheap but may ruin it for others..
Regards Danny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 13:26
Its strange that we were told not use the chemicals that come withe toilet by another park but we could dump if we used napisan or similar. Here is the link they used as their reference.

http://caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/napisan-in-septic-tanks/

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 601095

Reply By: eaglefree - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:29
Thanks for your post Danny.

For many of us that tour on a shoe string budget the "right" chemical is, like many things, too expensive. We have to cut costs all over.

Hence the popularity of napisan
AnswerID: 601096

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 14:44
Maybe someone should do their homework.

Pre soaker containing Sodium Percarbonate comes with this statement on the label.

Safe to use in septic tanks.
AnswerID: 601097

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:05

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:05
Bloody oath Danny. Spot on mate.

We have a potable toilet and use the chemicals that the manufacturers chemists and scientists recommend. A small cost to try and leave this country better than when we came along.

Just a few dollars more. Not even the cost of a good sized coffee or latee. One coffee a week. It won't break the bank.

I think that there are too many hypocrits around who claim that they can't pay these small fees yet they have their brand new $1000 iPhone and Kindle and Ipod and Play Station and don't forget the full coverage TV setups etc etc etc. And the portable espresso makers - Don't forget that one. And then add a couple of $1000+ difflocks that most won't ever need. etc etc etc.

A small cost. Get over it and do the right thing by us all not just your pocket!!

Rant over. (aaahhh that feels better)

Phil

AnswerID: 601098

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:30
It is not the cost of the chemicals Phil, but the harm they can do to the environment.

The "environmentally friendly" toilet chemicals such as Odour-b-Gone are just Sodium Percarbonate. Totally safe to dispose of once fully activated. I'm sure you have seen My Blog.

The totally additive free way to go is not to use any additives at all. Many do this after fitting a SOG system, but it can be managed by emptying on alternate days.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870420

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:34
Probably pay to read the label on the pre soaker.

Safe in septic systems
Been told it is not good to use with iPads, iPods, iPhones or kindles.

Ok in portable expresso makers though. Guess that has something to do with the price of eggs somewhere in the world.

Just a thought.
FollowupID: 870421

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:01

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:01
We just use the the commended ones.

Sorry but haven't read any blogs at all. Not into all this social media stuff. I haven't even clicked on a podcast. Don't even know what they are and aren't really interested. All I do is this forum, 4x4 forum and a bit of youtube and photobucket for the grandkids. Not a Borg member.

Catchya

Phil
FollowupID: 870423

Follow Up By: eaglefree - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:23

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:23
Hi Phil.
You answered my post responding to my comments about affording items like the "correct" chemicals. "Its only a few dollars"
My wife and I own our homemade 11ft caravan. No cappacino machine inside, we don't buy Latte's, no TV, microwave, our cooking is a twin burner stove, no iPods in fact we have two Telstra buzz phones $69 each. No PlayStation's and mixing caravan parks with free camps we've been able to tour around oz.
No chopper flights, jet boats, no national parks as we have a mini foxy dog (do you think we can cut back on her kibble?)
Our car is a diesel Hyundai i30. 5.5L/100 km or 8.5L/100 km towing our 450 kg tare van.
Yes we have that luxury of a toilet and shower in our tiny van. But you claim "just a few dollars" that we can afford those chemicals. Our disability pension dictates what we can afford.
You can post generalisations as you please. No I'll feelings.
PS whats a diff lock? Must be one of those things I can do without. I'll search the car for it...it could be a luxury this hypocrit could do without...lol
FollowupID: 870430

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 20:21
And good on you. Nice to see the van finished and you two are soon on the rtoad. A shame that you had to sell the trike.

But you missed my point. Would you rather we all poison the sytem or whould we make allowances for where we go and do the right thing. It's a cost that has to be born by all for the betterment of the environment. Yes for those on minimal incomes it means something else has to go. I suggested a coffee and in your situation it is up to you to find the extra few dollars every few weeks. It's not as if it is a daily "few dollars" It's only when you replenish your chemicals. We have only after last years Simpson crossing have had to buy a new bunch. My wife looks after that part. She budgets and the sets priorities for when we can go for a drive and how much we spend right down to whether I have plain toast or raison toast for brekky.

We have a mobile phone and also a satellite phone for emergencies only (we go solo to the deserts), both are prepaid and we have only made three calls on the mobile in two years and one on the sat phone in five years. Budgeting.

Yet we still manage to pay the extra for the recommended chemicals. Priorities mate. I even had to forgo a couple of local week only club trips this year for the same reason. So only one trip this year. Bugger

We do our bit.

Phil
FollowupID: 870435

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 21:58
Just get a SOG system and no chemicals and no smell, on previous and current
Van ??????????
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870441

Follow Up By: Member - MARIC - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:05
Re napisan being environmently friendly, many moons ago camping had a porti pottie, and on one occasion emptied contents under my darlings native frangi, and her mango tree ;o (( oops they both died.
Many a day in the dog house
Cheers Ric
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 870442

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:09
If used in the correct proportions Ric, the nappy powder would have been a very minor percentage of the cassette contents. Hard to blame that one substance.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870443

Follow Up By: eaglefree - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 22:18
Arhh Phil,

You just proved you ain't such a grumpy bloke after all.

Tony
FollowupID: 870444

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:29

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:29
I just enjoy Australia and I believe totally that we should do our damndest to look after it. And if that means I have to spend a few quid more to do so then I will. Needless to say that something else has to move aside.Well so be it. Just get on with life, forget the worries and have a ball.

Yes, I do have my moments. Once a month on a Tuesday I am a grumpy and bad tempered as even you can get. That's the day after my chemo infusion, which happens every 4 weeks. Six bloody years of it so far.

But I am alive and kicking, maybe a bit slow and weak, can't even lift the spare now so have a winch, but alive and doing my best to see as much of this great country as I can and hopefully, leave it a bit better when I leave.

Tnx mate

Phil

Don't you just love this bloke!!!

FollowupID: 870447

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:36

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 23:36
The benefit of the shared knowledge here Eaglefree is that looking after the environment is as easy as buying a simple laundry product. I chose the products at first because I have a passion for the environment. Being lower cost than stuff sold to a 'captive market' (sometimes using the same active ingredient), that the product worked better than the expensive stuff was a surprise bonus, and cost advantage is a third benefit.

Keep on enjoying this great land. You are living the life many of us envy :).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870448

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 15:34
Signs like these have been seen before Danny. They are either ill informed or have fallen prey to scaremongering from the industry lobby. Being rural, we rely on managing septic tanks for all our waste. No "chemicals" but Sodium Percarbonate once used activated does no harm.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 601100

Reply By: Member - M&N's - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:19
As I recall when the use of alternative toilet treatments first started the use of napisan was a no no but the homebrand alternatives were acceptable as they did not contain whatever made napisan a no no. The homebrand alternatives for whatever reason now go under a new name which is something like laundry soaker and Inwash booster and it only contains sodium percarbonate.....I think. Mickb

AnswerID: 601102

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:32

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 16:32
Brand name Napisan has/had other superfluous additives for toilet use, probably to perfume and/or soften fabrics. But all laundry soakers with the active ingredient of Sodium Percarbonate it will do the job. The store brand formulations have less of the fancy stuff therefore a greater percentage of the active ingredient. If you follow the links from My Blog you can read the MSDS sheets.

Those who do home brewing and purchase straight Sodium Percarbonate for sterilising bottles use a small quantity of this to gain the same results in their toilet cassettes.

The bottom line is, it is safe to use, easy to use, and doesn't harm the environment.

Read this extract from Professor Ian Jenkins (retired Professor of Chemistry and now Professor Emeritus at Griffith University):

"Today, Napisan contains sodium carbonate (30-60%), sodium percarbonate (10-30%), sodium sulfate (10-30%) and small quantities of surfactants. The ‘look-alikes’ appear to consist of very similar mixtures. The active ingredient in all cases is sodium percarbonate, made by mixing sodium carbonate (washing soda) with hydrogen peroxide. It has the formula 2Na2CO3.3H2O2. When dissolved in water, it forms sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide oxidises smelly thio compounds such as hydrogen sulfide, methanethiol, dimethyl sulfide, and nitrogen-containing compounds such as skatole found in human waste [H. Sato et al, Journal of Health Science, 2001, 47, 483]. In the absence of organic material, hydrogen peroxide decomposes slowly forming oxygen and water. By the time you empty your portable toilet, there would be very little hydrogen peroxide or sodium percarbonate remaining (hence it should have a negligible effect on septic systems). Sodium percarbonate is often used in eco-friendly cleaning products, and is the active ingredient of Odour-B-Gone. According to the labeling, the surfactants present in at least two of the Napisan look-alikes (‘Ultra Booster Everyday Plus Laundry Soaker’, and ‘Laundry Soaker and Inwash Booster’) are biodegradable."

The link has been given in Chooky and Wobbles' reply.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870427

Reply By: Member - Trevor_H - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:22
Slightly off subject, but why do caravan parks prohibit the emptying of "night bottles or night buckets" in their toilets? Cannot see the logic at all...urine is urine, in the pan direct or indirect.
AnswerID: 601110

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:37
When I have seen these signs they seem to refer to those who happily empty their night buckets into the wash basins where others clean their teeth! Apparently this has been a common practice eech! Lynne
FollowupID: 870431

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:42
Yuk! How could anyone do that John and Lynne..that is revolting! I have seen those signs and wondered why they were necessary.

Although given the state of some toilets in amenity blocks i think some people use the flush toilets like squat ones and balance with their feet on the seat! I always double check the ones with black seats and they can hide nasty deposits left on top!

cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870432

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:53
Maybe the splashing on the seats is from people emptying buckets?.
FollowupID: 870433

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:56

Tuesday, Jun 07, 2016 at 19:56
Its more than splashes Shaker!
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870434

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 23:17
I lived I in a caravan park and every morning at 05:30 I would hear someone come in and empty his p iss pot in the shower cubicle.
One morning I caught him in the act, and asked "why in there and not down the toilet."
His reply, "I can't get it under the tap in the hand basin too rinse it out."
My reply was, "if I catch you again you will wear it.

Maybe he waited til later, but I never heard him again.

To me that was just plain disgusting.

Cheers

FollowupID: 870482

Reply By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 11:39
So what is the correct legal recommended stuff to use.

I ask as I am thinking of getting a porta potti

Richard
AnswerID: 601129

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:18

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 12:18
There is no such thing as legal or illegal, but sodium percarbonate (generic nappy soaker) is safe and effective. I suggest about 1 teaspoon full per day into the tank. More is not necessarily better.
It is also available cheaper and in higher concentrations from brewing suppliers.
The approved commercial product "Odour-be-Gone" is the same active ingredient.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 870460

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 20:46
Camping stores and certain brands of portable toilets will push their own products
Richard. Some do not say what the ingredients are - tread with caution. Sodium Percarbonate will not harm your cassette or septic systems.

You have the choice of what to use. My choice was in favour of the environment, and it works. The bonus is it is readily available (although a container lasts a long time), and is economically priced.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870469

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:15
Motherhen
What is it exactly you use

Can you provide a brand name etc and how much you use please.

Richard
FollowupID: 870474

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:36

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2016 at 22:36
Hi Richard

I currently have Woolworths Homebrand Laundry Soaker & Inwash Booster, but similar products from Coles or discount stores are just as good. The container cap is used for measuring, and for laundry soaking the directions are half a level lid measurer for 7 litres of water. With a cassette of maximum capacity of 20 litres (it will be emptied before it is at full capacity) I use a level lid measurer which is probably about a desertspoon full. Or you can follow Peter's good advice above of adding a teaspoon full per day, keeping the activation fresh, so that is probably a better way to go.

You can read more and about suitable similar products and other alternatives and lots more on using portable toilets on My Blog.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870476

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:35

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:35
Rich,
just be aware that many of the brands have cut back on the percentage of sodium percarbonate in their pre soaker products.

I just use the one that has the highest percentage and they are often the cheapest ones.

My mix is 1lt warm water, half teaspoon eucalyptus oil and 40 to 50mm of pre soaker. I mix it then pour straight into the cassette. Works well for around 3 days with 17l cassette.
FollowupID: 870486

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:42

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:42
As per my article the Woolworth Homebrand I have has been cut back to 28% but they assure me the formulation is just as effective. The pack looks the same as the one I have pictured, but mine is the 34% older formulation.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870488

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:00

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:00
MH, for you info, I just checked the coles pre soaker and it is still 33%.
FollowupID: 870500

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:04

Thursday, Jun 09, 2016 at 13:04
Thanks Eagle. I check every time I go to Coles and Woolworths, but that is not very often.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 870501

Sponsored Links